Subject: I-D Action: draft-stenn-ntp-mac-last-ef-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2018 21:37:40 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Network Time Protocol MAC/Last Extension Fields
        Authors         : Harlan Stenn
                          Danny Mayer
	Filename        : draft-stenn-ntp-mac-last-ef-03.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2018-10-02

Abstract:
   NTPv4 is defined by RFC 5905 [RFC5905], and it and earlier versions
   of the NTP Protocol have supported symmetric private key Message
   Authentication Code (MAC) authentication.  MACs were first described
   in Appendix C of RFC 1305 [RFC1305] and are further described in RFC
   5905 [RFC5905].  As the number of Extension Fields grows there is an
   increasing chance of a parsing ambiguity when deciding if the "next"
   set of data is an Extension Field or a legacy MAC.  This proposal
   defines two new Extension Fields to avoid this ambiguity.  One, LAST-
   EF, is used to signify that it is the last Extension Field in the
   packet.  If the LAST-EF is present, any subsequent data MUST be
   considered to be a legacy MAC.  The other, MAC-EF, allows one or more
   MACs to be encapsulated in an Extension Field.  If all parties in an
   association support MAC-EF, the use of a legacy MAC may be avoided.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-stenn-ntp-mac-last-ef/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-stenn-ntp-mac-last-ef-03
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-stenn-ntp-mac-last-ef-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-stenn-ntp-mac-last-ef-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/