Subject: I-D Action: draft-cheshire-sudn-ipv4only-dot-arpa-12.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 14:46:13 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Special Use Domain Name 'ipv4only.arpa'
        Authors         : Stuart Cheshire
                          David Schinazi
	Filename        : draft-cheshire-sudn-ipv4only-dot-arpa-12.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2018-10-23

Abstract:
   The specification for how a client discovers its local network's
   NAT64 prefix [RFC7050] defines the special name 'ipv4only.arpa' for
   this purpose, but in its Domain Name Reservation Considerations
   section that specification indicates that the name actually has no
   particularly special properties would require special handling, and
   does not request IANA to record the name in the Special-Use Domain
   Names registry.

   Consequently, despite the well articulated special purpose of the
   name, 'ipv4only.arpa' was not recorded in the Special-Use Domain
   Names registry as a name with special properties.

   As a result of this omission, in cases where software needs to give
   this name special treatment in order for it to work correctly, there
   was no clear mandate authorizing software authors to implement that
   special treatment.  Software implementers were left with the choice
   between not implementing the special behavior necessary for the name
   queries to work correctly, or implementing the special behavior and
   being accused of being noncompliant with some RFC.

   This document describes the special treatment required, formally
   declares the special properties of the name, and adds similar
   declarations for the corresponding reverse mapping names.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-cheshire-sudn-ipv4only-dot-arpa/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-cheshire-sudn-ipv4only-dot-arpa-12
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-cheshire-sudn-ipv4only-dot-arpa-12

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-cheshire-sudn-ipv4only-dot-arpa-12

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/