Subject: I-D Action: draft-mcbride-edge-data-discovery-overview-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 10:16:12 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Overview of Edge Data Discovery
        Authors         : Mike McBride
                          Dirk Kutscher
                          Eve Schooler
                          Carlos J. Bernardos
	Filename        : draft-mcbride-edge-data-discovery-overview-00.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2018-10-22

Abstract:
   This document describes the problem of distributed data discovery in
   edge computing.  Increasing numbers of IoT devices and sensors are
   generating a torrent of data that originates at the very edges of the
   network and that flows upstream, if it flows at all.  Sometimes that
   data must be processed or transformed (transcoded, subsampled,
   compressed, analyzed, annotated, combined, aggregated, etc.) on edge
   equipment along the way, particularly in places where multiple high
   bandwidth streams converge and where resources are limited.  Support
   for edge data analysis is critical to make local, low-latency
   decisions (e.g., regarding predictive maintenance, the dispatch of
   emergency services, identity, authorization, etc.).  In addition,
   (transformed) data may be cached, copied and/or stored at multiple
   locations in the network on route to its final destination.  Although
   the data might originate at the edge, for example in factories,
   automobiles, video cameras, wind farms, etc., as more and more
   distributed data is created, processed and stored, it becomes
   increasingly dispersed throughout the network and there needs to be a
   standard way to find it.  New and existing protocols will need to be
   identified/developed/enhanced for distributed data discovery at the
   network edge and beyond.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mcbride-edge-data-discovery-overview/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mcbride-edge-data-discovery-overview-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-mcbride-edge-data-discovery-overview-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/