Subject: I-D Action: draft-litkowski-pce-state-sync-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 11:40:26 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Inter Stateful Path Computation Element communication procedures
        Authors         : Stephane Litkowski
                          Siva Sivabalan
                          Dhruv Dhody
	Filename        : draft-litkowski-pce-state-sync-04.txt
	Pages           : 28
	Date            : 2018-10-22

Abstract:
   The Path Computation Element Communication Protocol (PCEP) provides
   mechanisms for Path Computation Elements (PCEs) to perform path
   computations in response to Path Computation Clients (PCCs) requests.
   The stateful PCE extensions allow stateful control of Multi-Protocol
   Label Switching (MPLS) Traffic Engineering Label Switched Paths (TE
   LSPs) using PCEP.

   A Path Computation Client (PCC) can synchronize an LSP state
   information to a Stateful Path Computation Element (PCE).  The
   stateful PCE extension allows a redundancy scenario where a PCC can
   have redundant PCEP sessions towards multiple PCEs.  In such a case,
   a PCC gives control on a LSP to only a single PCE, and only one PCE
   is responsible for path computation for this delegated LSP.  The
   document does not state the procedures related to an inter-PCE
   stateful communication.

   There are some use cases, where an inter-PCE stateful communication
   can bring additional resiliency in the design, for instance when some
   PCC-PCE sessions fails.  The inter-PCE stateful communication may
   also provide a faster update of the LSP states when an event occurs.
   Finally, when, in a redundant PCE scenario, there is a need to
   compute a set of paths that are part of a group (so there is a
   dependency between the paths), there may be some cases where the
   computation of all paths in the group is not handled by the same PCE:
   this situation is called a split-brain.  This split-brain scenario
   may lead to computation loops between PCEs or suboptimal path
   computation.

   This document describes the procedures to allow a stateful
   communication between PCEs for various use-cases and also the
   procedures to prevent computations loops.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-litkowski-pce-state-sync/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-litkowski-pce-state-sync-04
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-litkowski-pce-state-sync-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-litkowski-pce-state-sync-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/