Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2018 21:28:31 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Layer Security WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Deprecating TLSv1.0 and TLSv1.1
        Authors         : Kathleen Moriarty
                          Stephen Farrell
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate-01.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2018-11-07

Abstract:
   This document, if approved, formally deprecates Transport Layer
   Security (TLS) versions 1.0 [RFC2246] and 1.1 [RFC4346] and moves
   these documents to the historic state.  These versions lack support
   for current and recommended cipher suites, and various government and
   industry profiles of applications using TLS now mandate avoiding
   these old TLS versions.  TLSv1.2 has been the recommended version for
   IETF protocols since 2008, providing sufficient time to transition
   away from older versions.  Products having to support older versions
   increase the attack surface unnecessarily and increase opportunities
   for misconfigurations.  Supporting these older versions also requires
   additional effort for library and product maintenance.

   This document updates many RFCs that normatively refer to TLS1.0 or
   TLS1.1 as described herein.  This document also updates RFC 7525 and
   hence is part of BCP195.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 19:18:56 +0000

Hiya,

On 08/11/2018 17:21, Hubert Kario wrote:
> what was the rationale for dropping the section about deprecating SHA-1 in TLS 
> 1.2? I see nothing in minutes from IETF103.

I asked during the presentation if the WG wanted to
keep it or not, as it's clearly not quite the same
as the rest of the document. The limited feedback in
the room was that it'd be better to not include this
here but to do it elsewhere, without identifying a
specific document or activity that'd cover it. The
logic was (IIUC) mostly down to keeping this draft
more focused. I don't think it was a desire to keep
using SHA-1. The draft minutes Rich sent do  say:
"Remove SHA-1 deprecation from this document."

As we reckoned the above might be the case (as per
the comment in the version before adoption), I went
ahead and excised that bit for now. If the WG do
prefer to keep it in, I'm fine with that, of
course.

Cheers,
S.

PS: I guess those are draft minutes and we should
make sure this point is clear in 'em - I'll do that