Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-bess-evpn-df-election-framework-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2018 09:30:19 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the BGP Enabled ServiceS WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Framework for EVPN Designated Forwarder Election Extensibility
        Authors         : Jorge Rabadan
                          Satya Mohanty
                          Ali Sajassi
                          John Drake
                          Kiran Nagaraj
                          Senthil Sathappan
	Filename        : draft-ietf-bess-evpn-df-election-framework-06.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2018-12-04

Abstract:
   The Designated Forwarder (DF) in EVPN networks is the Provider Edge
   (PE) router responsible for sending broadcast, unknown unicast and
   multicast (BUM) traffic to a multi-homed Customer Equipment (CE)
   device, on a given VLAN on a particular Ethernet Segment (ES). The DF
   is selected out of a list of candidate PEs that advertise the same
   Ethernet Segment Identifier (ESI) to the EVPN network. By default,
   EVPN uses a DF Election algorithm referred to as "Service Carving"
   and it is based on a modulus function (V mod N) that takes the number
   of PEs in the ES (N) and the VLAN value (V) as input. This default DF
   Election algorithm has some inefficiencies that this document
   addresses by defining a new DF Election algorithm and a capability to
   influence the DF Election result for a VLAN, depending on the state
   of the associated Attachment Circuit (AC). In addition, this document
   creates a registry with IANA, for future DF Election Algorithms and
   Capabilities. It also presents a formal definition and clarification
   of the DF Election Finite State Machine.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-df-election-framework/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-df-election-framework-06
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-df-election-framework-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-bess-evpn-df-election-framework-06

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/