Subject: I-D Action: draft-trossen-sfc-name-based-sff-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 13:38:44 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Name-Based Service Function Forwarder (nSFF) component within SFC framework
        Authors         : Dirk Trossen
                          Debashish Purkayastha
                          Akbar Rahman
	Filename        : draft-trossen-sfc-name-based-sff-02.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2018-12-11

Abstract:
   Many stringent requirements are imposed on today's network, such as
   low latency, high availability and reliability in order to support
   several use cases such as IoT, Gaming, Content distribution, Robotics
   etc.  Adoption of cloud and fog technology at the edge of the network
   allows operator to deploy a single "Service Function" to multiple
   "Execution locations".  The decision to steer traffic to a specific
   location may change frequently based on load, proximity etc.  Under
   the current SFC framework, steering traffic dynamically to the
   different execution end points require a specific 're-chaining',
   i.e., a change in the service function path reflecting the different
   IP endpoints to be used for the new execution points.  In order to
   address this, we discuss separating the logical Service Function Path
   from the specific execution end points.  This can be done by
   identifying the Service Functions using a name rather than a routable
   IP endpoint (or Layer 2 address).  This draft describes the necessary
   extensions, additional functions and protocol details in SFF (Service
   Function Forwarder) to handle name based relationships.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-trossen-sfc-name-based-sff/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-trossen-sfc-name-based-sff-02
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-trossen-sfc-name-based-sff-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-trossen-sfc-name-based-sff-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/