Subject: I-D Action: draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 07:25:00 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Adaptive IPv4 Address Space
        Authors         : Abraham Y. Chen
                          Ramamurthy R. Ati
                          Abhay Karandikar
                          David Crowe
	Filename        : draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space-04.txt
	Pages           : 44
	Date            : 2018-12-10

Abstract:
   This document describes a solution to the Internet address depletion
   issue through the use of an existing Option mechanism that is part of
   the original IPv4 protocol. This proposal, named EzIP (phonetic for
   Easy IPv4), outlines the IPv4 public address pool expansion and the
   Internet system architecture enhancement considerations.

   EzIP may expand an IPv4 address by a factor of 256M without affecting
   the existing IPv4 based Internet, or the current private networks. It
   is in full conformance with the IPv4 protocol, and supports not only
   both direct and private network connectivity, but also their
   interoperability. EzIP deployments may coexist with existing Internet
   traffic and the IoT (Internet of Things) operations without
   perturbing their setups, while offering end-users the freedom to
   indepdently choose this system.

   EzIP may be implemented as a software or firmware enhancement to
   Internet edge routers or private network routing gateways, wherever
   needed, or simply installed as an inline adjunct hardware module
   between the two, enabling a seamless introduction.

   The 256M case detailed here establishes a complete spherical layer of
   routers for interfacing between the Internet fabic (core plus edge
   routers) and the end user premises. Incorporating caching proxy
   technology in the gateway, a fairly large geographical region may
   enjoy EzIP as address expansion using as little as one ordinary IPv4
   public address utilizing IP packets with degenerated EzIP header.

   If IPv4 public pool allocations were reorganized, the assignable pool
   could be multiplied by 512M times or even more.

   EzIP will immediately resolve local IPv4 address shortages, while
   being transparent to the rest of the Internet. Under the Dual-Stack
   environment, these proposed interim facilities will relieve the IPv4
   address shortage issue, while affording IPv6 more time to reach
   maturity and to provide the availability levels required for
   delivering a long-term general service.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space-04
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/