Subject: I-D Action: draft-trossen-sfc-name-based-sff-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 11:14:34 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Name-Based Service Function Forwarder (nSFF) component within SFC framework
        Authors         : Dirk Trossen
                          Debashish Purkayastha
                          Akbar Rahman
	Filename        : draft-trossen-sfc-name-based-sff-03.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2019-01-31

Abstract:
   Many stringent requirements are imposed on today's network, such as
   low latency, high availability and reliability in order to support
   several use cases such as IoT, Gaming, Content distribution, Robotics
   etc.  Adoption of cloud and fog technology at the edge of the network
   allows operator to deploy a single "Service Function" to multiple
   "Execution locations".  The decision to steer traffic to a specific
   location may change frequently based on load, proximity etc.  Under
   the current SFC framework, steering traffic dynamically to the
   different execution end points require a specific 're-chaining',
   i.e., a change in the service function path reflecting the different
   IP endpoints to be used for the new execution points.  This procedure
   maybe complex and take time.  In order to simplify re-chaining and
   reduce the time to complete the procedure, we discuss separating the
   logical Service Function Path from the specific execution end points.
   This can be done by identifying the Service Functions using a name
   rather than a routable IP endpoint (or Layer 2 address).  This draft
   describes the necessary extensions, additional functions and protocol
   details in SFF (Service Function Forwarder) to handle name based
   relationships.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-trossen-sfc-name-based-sff/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-trossen-sfc-name-based-sff-03
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-trossen-sfc-name-based-sff-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-trossen-sfc-name-based-sff-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/