Subject: I-D Action: draft-szarecki-grow-abstract-nh-scaleout-peering-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2019 13:24:42 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Use of Abstract NH in Scale-Out peering architecture
        Authors         : Rafal Jan Szarecki
                          Kaliraj Vairavakkalai
                          Natrajan Venkataraman
	Filename        : draft-szarecki-grow-abstract-nh-scaleout-peering-00.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2019-02-06

Abstract:
   Many large-scale service provider networks use some form of scale-out
   architecture at peering sites.  In such an architecture, each
   participating Autonomous System (AS) deploys multiple independent
   Autonomous System Border Routers (ASBRs) for peering, and Equal Cost
   Multi-Path (ECMP) load balancing is used between them.  There are
   numerous benefits to this architecture, including but not limited to
   N+1 redundancy and the ability to flexibly increase capacity as
   needed.  A cost of this architecture is an increase in the amount of
   state in both the control and data planes.  This has negative
   consequences for network convergence time and scale.

   In this document we describe how to mitigate these negative
   consequences through configuration of the routing protocols, both BGP
   and IGP, to utilize what we term the "Abstract Next-Hop" (ANH).  Use
   of ANH allows us to both reduce the number of BGP paths in the
   control plane and enable rapid path invalidation (hence, network
   convergence and traffic restoration).  We require no new protocol
   features to achieve these benefits.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-szarecki-grow-abstract-nh-scaleout-peering/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-szarecki-grow-abstract-nh-scaleout-peering-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-szarecki-grow-abstract-nh-scaleout-peering-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/