Subject: I-D Action: draft-irtf-hrpc-political-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 03:34:51 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Human Rights Protocol Considerations RG of the IRTF.

        Title           : Notes on networking standards and politics
        Authors         : Niels ten Oever
                          Amelia Andersdotter
	Filename        : draft-irtf-hrpc-political-01.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2019-02-27

Abstract:
   The IETF cannot ordain which standards or protocols are to be used on
   network, but the standards developing process in the IETF has a
   normative effect.  Among other things the standardisation work at the
   IETF has implications on what is perceived as technologically
   possible and useful where networking technologies are being deployed,
   and its standards output reflect was is considered by the technical
   community as feasible and good practice.  Because it mediates many
   aspects of modern life, and therefore contributes to the ordering of
   societies and communities, the consideration of the politics and
   (potential) impact of protocols should be part of the standardization
   and development process.  If the technical community refuses to take
   up this responsibility, it should accept that others, such as
   governments, will take up this role.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-hrpc-political/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-hrpc-political-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-irtf-hrpc-political-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-irtf-hrpc-political-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/