Subject: I-D Action: draft-pala-ocspv2-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 14:19:36 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Online Certificate Status Protocol - Version 2 (OCSPv2)
        Author          : Massimiliano Pala
	Filename        : draft-pala-ocspv2-00.txt
	Pages           : 4
	Date            : 2019-02-05

Abstract:
   With the increase number of protocols and applications that rely on
   digital certificates to authenticate either the communication channel
   (TLS) or the data itself (PKIX), the need for providing an efficient
   revocation system is paramount.  Although the Online Certificate
   Status Protocol (OCSP) allows for efficient lookup of the revocation
   status of a certificate, the distribution of this information via
   HTTP (or very rarely) HTTPS is not particularly efficient for high
   volume websites without incurring in high distribution costs (e.g.,
   CDN).

   In particular, this specification defines a new set of messages
   (i.e., OCSPv2 Request and OCSPv2 Response) that address the
   inefficiencies of OCSPv1 by (a) providing range-based responses to
   optimize (reduce) the number of pre-computed responses required by a
   CA, and (b) allowing the inclusion of other (certificate chain)
   responses in the same response for round-trip and caching
   optimization.

   The deployment of OCSPv2 to validate the status of a certificate is
   meant to lower the costs of providing revocation services and
   increase the efficiency of the service, thus allowing for short-lived
   responses (i.e., hours instead of days).

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-pala-ocspv2/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pala-ocspv2-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-pala-ocspv2-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/