Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-tsvwg-datagram-plpmtud-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 04:31:01 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Packetization Layer Path MTU Discovery for Datagram Transports
        Authors         : Godred Fairhurst
                          Tom Jones
                          Michael Tuexen
                          Irene Ruengeler
                          Timo Voelker
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-datagram-plpmtud-07.txt
	Pages           : 46
	Date            : 2019-02-18

Abstract:
   This document describes a robust method for Path MTU Discovery
   (PMTUD) for datagram Packetization Layers (PLs).  The document
   describes an extension to RFC 1191 and RFC 8201, which specifies
   ICMP-based Path MTU Discovery for IPv4 and IPv6.  The method allows a
   PL, or a datagram application that uses a PL, to discover whether a
   network path can support the current size of datagram.  This can be
   used to detect and reduce the message size when a sender encounters a
   network black hole (where packets are discarded, and no ICMP message
   is received).  The method can also probe a network path with
   progressively larger packets to find whether the maximum packet size
   can be increased.  This allows a sender to determine an appropriate
   packet size, providing functionally for datagram transports that is
   equivalent to the Packetization Layer PMTUD specification for TCP,
   specified in RFC 4821.

   The document also provides implementation notes for incorporating
   Datagram PMTUD into IETF datagram transports or applications that use
   datagram transports.

   When published, this specification updates RFC 4821.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-datagram-plpmtud/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-datagram-plpmtud-07
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-datagram-plpmtud-07

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tsvwg-datagram-plpmtud-07

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/