Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2019 10:19:53 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Serving Stale Data to Improve DNS Resiliency
        Authors         : David C Lawrence
                          Warren "Ace" Kumari
                          Puneet Sood
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale-04.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2019-03-09

Abstract:
   This draft defines a method (serve-stale) for recursive resolvers to
   use stale DNS data to avoid outages when authoritative nameservers
   cannot be reached to refresh expired data.  It updates the definition
   of TTL from [RFC1034], [RFC1035], and [RFC2181] to make it clear that
   data can be kept in the cache beyond the TTL expiry and used for
   responses when a refreshed answer is not readily available.  One of
   the motivations for serve-stale is to make the DNS more resilient to
   DoS attacks, and thereby make them less attractive as an attack
   vector.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale-04
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/