Subject: I-D Action: draft-stenn-ntp-suggest-refid-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 17:56:34 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network Time Protocol WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Network Time Protocol Suggested REFID Extension Field
        Author          : Harlan Stenn
	Filename        : draft-stenn-ntp-suggest-refid-05.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2019-03-25

Abstract:
   NTP's Reference ID, or REFID, identifies the source of time in a
   timestamp or time packet.  In NTP packets sent over the network the
   REFID is used to identify the "system peer", and in the long-term
   general case its fundamental purpose is to prevent a one-degree
   timing loop.  Each instance of NTP decides for itself what REFID it
   will put in its outgoing packets, and there is currently no way for
   an external time source to tell or recommend this value in the case
   where that external time source is selected as the "system peer."

   The SUGGESTED-REFID NTP Extension Field proposal is a backward-
   compatible way for a time source to tell its peers or clients "If you
   use me as your system peer, use this nonce as your REFID."

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-stenn-ntp-suggest-refid/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-stenn-ntp-suggest-refid-05
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-stenn-ntp-suggest-refid-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-stenn-ntp-suggest-refid-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/