Subject: I-D Action: draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-seq-validation-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 17:00:25 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : On the Validation of TCP Sequence Numbers
        Authors         : Fernando Gont
                          David Borman
	Filename        : draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-seq-validation-04.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2019-03-11

Abstract:
   When TCP receives packets that lie outside of the receive window, the
   corresponding packets are dropped and either an ACK, RST or no
   response is generated due to the out-of-window packet, with no
   further processing of the packet.  Most of the time, this works just
   fine and TCP remains stable, especially when a TCP connection has
   unidirectional data flow.  However, there are three scenarios in
   which packets that are outside of the receive window should still
   have their ACK field processed, or else a packet war will take place.
   The aforementioned issues have affected a number of popular TCP
   implementations, typically leading to connection failures, system
   crashes, or other undesirable behaviors.  This document describes the
   three scenarios in which the aforementioned issues might arise, and
   formally updates RFC 793 such that these potential problems are
   mitigated.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-seq-validation/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-seq-validation-04
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-seq-validation-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-seq-validation-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/