Subject: I-D Action: draft-zhu-intarea-gma-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 16:37:27 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Generic Multi-Access (GMA) Convergence Encapsulation Protocols
        Authors         : Jing Zhu
                          Satish Kanugovi
	Filename        : draft-zhu-intarea-gma-02.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2019-03-28

Abstract:
   Today, a device can be simultaneously connected to multiple
   communication networks based on different technology implementations
   and network architectures like WiFi, LTE, 5G, and DSL. In such
   scenario, it is desirable to combine multiple access networks to
   improve quality of experience. For example, an IP flow may be
   delivered over both LTE and Wi-Fi network for higher end-to-end
   throughput. In another example, lost packets may be retransmitted
   when the device switches from Wi-Fi to LTE. However, such multi-
   access optimization requires inserting additional control
   information, e.g. Sequence Number, into each IP packet.

   Unfortunately, there is no existing IP protocol for such purpose. As
   a result, IP-over-IP tunneling has been used in today's solutions,
   e.g. [LWIPEP] [GRE], to insert the GRE header, and then encode
   additional control information in the GRE header fields, e.g. Key,
   Sequence Number. However, there are two main drawbacks with this
   approach: 1) IP-over-IP tunneling leads to higher overhead
   especially for small packet. For example, the overhead of IP-over-
   IP/GRE tunneling with both Key and Sequence Number is 32 Bytes,
   which is 80% of a 40 Bytes TCP ACK packet; 2) It is difficult to
   introduce new control fields using the existing GRE header format.

   This document presents a new light-weight and flexible encapsulation
   protocol to support multi-access solutions [ATSSS] [MAMS] [LWIPEP]
   without IP-over-IP tunneling.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-zhu-intarea-gma/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-zhu-intarea-gma-02
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-zhu-intarea-gma-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-zhu-intarea-gma-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/