Subject: I-D Action: draft-mglt-ipsecme-diet-esp-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 06:11:18 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : ESP Header Compression and Diet-ESP
        Authors         : Daniel Migault
                          Tobias Guggemos
                          Carsten Bormann
                          David Schinazi
	Filename        : draft-mglt-ipsecme-diet-esp-07.txt
	Pages           : 47
	Date            : 2019-03-11

Abstract:
   With the use of encrypted ESP for secure IP communication, the
   compression of IP payload is only possible with complex frameworks,
   such as RObust Header Compression (ROHC).  Such frameworks are too
   complex for numerous use cases and especially for IoT scenarios,
   which makes IPsec not being used here, although it offers
   architectural benefits.

   ESP Header Compression (EHC) defines a flexible framework to compress
   communications protected with IPsec/ESP.  Compression and
   decompression is defined by EHC Rules orchestrated by EHC Strategies.
   The necessary state is hold within the IPsec Security Association and
   can be negotiated during key agreement, e.g. with IKEv2.

   The document specifies the necessary parameters of the EHC Context to
   allow compression of ESP and the most common included protocols, such
   as IPv4, IPv6, UDP and TCP and the corresponding EHC Rules.  It also
   defines the Diet-ESP EHC Strategy which compresses up to 32 bytes per
   packet for traditional IPv6 VPN and up to 66 bytes for IPv6 VPN sent
   over a single TCP or UDP session.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mglt-ipsecme-diet-esp/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mglt-ipsecme-diet-esp-07
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-mglt-ipsecme-diet-esp-07

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-mglt-ipsecme-diet-esp-07

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/