Subject: I-D Action: draft-merling-bier-frr-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2019 02:22:08 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : BIER Fast Reroute
        Authors         : Daniel Merling
                          Michael Menth
	Filename        : draft-merling-bier-frr-00.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2019-03-05

Abstract:
   BIER is a scalable multicast overlay [RFC8279] that utilizes some
   routing underlay, e.g., IP, to build up its Bit Index Forwarding
   Tables (BIFTs).  This document proposes a Fast Reroute Extension for
   BIER (BIER-FRR).  In case of a link or node failure, the routing
   underlay may first utilize FRR techniques to restore connectivity and
   then its forwarding tables converge.  After that, BIER can update its
   BIFTs, which requires time.  BIER packets may not be delivered until
   the last procedure has finished.  With BIER-FRR, a BIER Forwarding
   Router (BFR) can deliver BIER packets again after a link or node
   failures as soon as the connectivity within the routing underlay is
   restored and the BFR is informed about a next-hop (NH) that is
   unreachable on a lower layer.  BIER-FRR provides a mode for link
   protection and node protection.  For link protection, it tunnels
   traffic to the next-hop using the underlying routing.  For node
   protection, it forwards BIER packets to their specific next-hop and
   next-next-hops using tunnels in the underlying routing after applying
   a suitable backup bitmask to the bitstring in the BIER header of each
   packet.  This procedure prevents duplicates.  If topology allows,
   BIER-FRR achieves full protection against any single component
   failure.  For link protection, BIER-FRR requires only a minor change
   to the forwarding logic.  For node protection, BIER-FRR also requires
   backup entries in the BIFT.

   This document describes the concept and operating principles of BIER-
   FRR.  It defines the necessary modifications to the BIER forwarding
   Procedure and the BIFT, and explains how backup entries are computed.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-merling-bier-frr/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-merling-bier-frr-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-merling-bier-frr-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/