Subject: I-D Action: draft-amend-tsvwg-dccp-udp-header-conversion-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 14:26:12 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Lossless and overhead free DCCP - UDP header conversion (U-DCCP)
        Authors         : Markus Amend
                          Anna Brunstrom
                          Andreas Kassler
                          Veselin Rakocevic
	Filename        : draft-amend-tsvwg-dccp-udp-header-conversion-00.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2019-03-11

Abstract:
   The Datagram Congestion Control protocol (DCCP) is a non-widely
   deployed transport protocol in the Internet.  The reason for that is
   a typical chicken-egg problem.  Even if there would be a use for
   application developer to rely on DCCP, middle-boxes like firewalls
   and NATs will prevent DCCP end-to-end since they lack support for
   DCCP.  However, as long as the protocol penetration of DCCP will not
   increase, middle-boxes will not handle DCCP properly.  To overcome
   this challenge NAT/NATP traversal and UDP encapsulation for DCCP is
   already defined.  However the first requires special middle-box
   support and the latter introduces overhead.  The proposal of a
   multipath extension for DCCP further stresses the question of
   efficient middle-box passing as its main goal is to be applied over
   the Internet, traversing numerous uncontrolled middle-boxes.  This
   document introduces a new approach, disguising DCCP during
   transmission as UDP without requiring middle-box modification nor
   introducing any overhead.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-amend-tsvwg-dccp-udp-header-conversion/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-amend-tsvwg-dccp-udp-header-conversion-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-amend-tsvwg-dccp-udp-header-conversion-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/