Subject: I-D Action: draft-mcbride-edge-data-discovery-overview-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2019 16:45:55 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Overview of Edge Data Discovery
        Authors         : Mike McBride
                          Dirk Kutscher
                          Eve Schooler
                          Carlos J. Bernardos
	Filename        : draft-mcbride-edge-data-discovery-overview-01.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2019-03-10

Abstract:
   This document describes the problem of distributed data discovery in
   edge computing.  Increasing numbers of IoT devices and sensors are
   generating a torrent of data that originates at the very edges of the
   network and that flows upstream, if it flows at all.  Sometimes that
   data must be processed or transformed (transcoded, subsampled,
   compressed, analyzed, annotated, combined, aggregated, etc.) on edge
   equipment, particularly in places where multiple high bandwidth
   streams converge and where resources are limited.  Support for edge
   data analysis is critical to make local, low-latency decisions (e.g.,
   regarding predictive maintenance, the dispatch of emergency services,
   identity, authorization, etc.).  In addition, (transformed) data may
   be cached, copied and/or stored at multiple locations in the network
   on route to its final destination.  Although the data might originate
   at the edge, for example in factories, automobiles, video cameras,
   wind farms, etc., as more and more distributed data is created,
   processed and stored, it becomes increasingly dispersed throughout
   the network.  There needs to be a standard way to find it.  New and
   existing protocols will need to be identified/developed/enhanced for
   distributed data discovery at the network edge and beyond.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mcbride-edge-data-discovery-overview/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mcbride-edge-data-discovery-overview-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-mcbride-edge-data-discovery-overview-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-mcbride-edge-data-discovery-overview-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/