Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-ntp-refid-updates-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 17:32:02 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network Time Protocol WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Network Time Protocol REFID Updates
        Authors         : Harlan Stenn
                          Sharon Goldberg
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ntp-refid-updates-05.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2019-03-25

Abstract:
   RFC 5905 [RFC5905], section 7.3, "Packet Header Variables", defines
   the value of the REFID, the system peer for the responding host.  In
   the past, for IPv4 associations the IPv4 address is used, and for
   IPv6 associations the first four octets of the MD5 hash of the IPv6
   are used.  There are two recognized shortcomings to this approach,
   and this proposal addresses them.  One is that knowledge of the
   system peer is "abusable" information and should not be generally
   available.  The second is that the four octet hash of the IPv6
   address looks very much like an IPv4 address, and this is confusing.

   RFC EDITOR: PLEASE REMOVE THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH BEFORE PUBLISHING:

   The source code and issues list for this draft can be found in
   https://github.com/hstenn/ietf-ntp-refid-updates

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ntp-refid-updates/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ntp-refid-updates-05
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-ntp-refid-updates-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-ntp-refid-updates-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/