Subject: I-D Action: draft-stenn-ntp-leap-smear-refid-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 17:41:16 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network Time Protocol WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Network Time Protocol Leap Smear REFID
        Author          : Harlan Stenn
	Filename        : draft-stenn-ntp-leap-smear-refid-02.txt
	Pages           : 5
	Date            : 2019-03-25

Abstract:
   Leap Seconds are part of UTC.  NTP timestamps are based on POSIX
   timestamps, which require each day to have exactly 86,400 seconds per
   day.  Some applications and environments choose to "smear" leap
   second corrections over a period that can last up to 24 hours' time,
   and implement NTP servers that offer smeared time to clients asking
   them for the time.

   Both NTP clients and operators have no current way to tell if an NTP
   server is offering leap-smeared time or not.  This is a problem.

   Similarly, an NTP server may choose to offer leap-smeared time to
   clients that do not appear to know that a leap event is in-process.
   This is a problem.

   This proposal offers a mechanism that provides a simple and clean
   solution to problems, by giving a way that clients (and operators)
   can trivially ask for leap-smeared time and detect a server that is
   offering leap-smeared time.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-stenn-ntp-leap-smear-refid/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-stenn-ntp-leap-smear-refid-02
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-stenn-ntp-leap-smear-refid-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-stenn-ntp-leap-smear-refid-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/