Subject: I-D Action: draft-saldana-tsvwg-simplemux-11.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2019 08:51:43 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Simplemux. A generic multiplexing protocol
        Authors         : Jose Saldana
                          Julian Fernandez Navajas
                          Jose Ruiz Mas
	Filename        : draft-saldana-tsvwg-simplemux-11.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2019-03-04

Abstract:
   The high amount of small packets present in nowaday's networks
   results in a low efficiency, as the size of the headers and the
   payload of these packets can be in the same order of magnitude.  In
   some situations, multiplexing (i.e. aggregating) a number of small
   packets into a bigger one is desirable in order to improve the
   efficiency.  For example, a number of small packets can be sent
   together between a pair of machines if they share a common network
   path.  This may happen between machines in different locations or
   even inside a datacenter with a number of servers hosting virtual
   machines.  Thus, the traffic profile can be shifted from small to
   larger packets, reducing the network overhead and the number of
   packets per second to be managed by intermediate routers.

   This document describes Simplemux, a protocol able to encapsulate a
   number of packets belonging to different protocols into a single
   packet.  Small headers (separators) are added at the beginning of
   each multiplexed packet, including some flags, the packet length and
   a "Protocol" field.  This allows the inclusion of a number of packets
   belonging to different protocols (the "multiplexed packets") on a
   packet of another protocol (the "tunneling protocol").

   In order to reduce the overhead, the size of the multiplexing headers
   is kept very low (it may be a single byte when multiplexing packets
   of small size).

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-saldana-tsvwg-simplemux/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-saldana-tsvwg-simplemux-11
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-saldana-tsvwg-simplemux-11

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-saldana-tsvwg-simplemux-11

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/