Subject: I-D Action: draft-arkko-arch-internet-threat-model-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 08:30:46 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Changes in the Internet Threat Model
        Author          : Jari Arkko
	Filename        : draft-arkko-arch-internet-threat-model-00.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2019-04-30

Abstract:
   Communications security has been at the center of many security
   improvements in the Internet.  The goal has been to ensure that
   communications are protected against outside observers and attackers.

   This memo suggests that the existing threat model, while important
   and still valid, is no longer alone sufficient to cater for the
   pressing security issues in the Internet.  For instance, it is also
   necessary to protect systems against endpoints that are compromised,
   malicious, or whose interests simply do not align with the interests
   of the users.  While such protection is difficult, there are some
   measures that can be taken.

   It is particularly important to ensure that as we continue to develop
   Internet technology, non-communications security related threats are
   properly understood.  While the consideration of these issues is
   relatively new in the IETF, this memo provides some initial ideas
   about potential broader threat models to consider when designing
   protocols for the Internet or when trying to defend against pervasive
   monitoring.  Further down the road, updated threat models could
   result in changes in RFC 3552 (guidelines for writing security
   considerations) and RFC 7258 (pervasive monitoring), to include
   proper consideration of non-communications security threats.  It may
   also be necessary to have dedicated guidance on how systems design
   and architecture affects security.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-arkko-arch-internet-threat-model/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-arkko-arch-internet-threat-model-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-arkko-arch-internet-threat-model-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/