Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-uta-smtp-require-tls-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2019 15:00:01 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Using TLS in Applications WG of the IETF.

        Title           : SMTP Require TLS Option
        Author          : Jim Fenton
	Filename        : draft-ietf-uta-smtp-require-tls-08.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2019-04-22

Abstract:
   The SMTP STARTTLS option, used in negotiating transport-level
   encryption of SMTP connections, is not as useful from a security
   standpoint as it might be because of its opportunistic nature;
   message delivery is, by default, prioritized over security.  This
   document describes an SMTP service extension, REQUIRETLS, and message
   header field, TLS-Required.  If the REQUIRETLS option or TLS-Required
   message header field is used when sending a message, it asserts a
   request on the part of the message sender to override the default
   negotiation of TLS, either by requiring that TLS be negotiated when
   the message is relayed, or by requesting that recipient-side policy
   mechanisms such as MTA-STS and DANE be ignored when relaying a
   message for which security is unimportant.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-uta-smtp-require-tls/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-uta-smtp-require-tls-08
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-uta-smtp-require-tls-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-uta-smtp-require-tls-08

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/