Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-bess-evpn-na-flags-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 17:25:34 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the BGP Enabled ServiceS WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Propagation of ARP/ND Flags in EVPN
        Authors         : Jorge Rabadan
                          Senthil Sathappan
                          Kiran Nagaraj
                          Wen Lin
	Filename        : draft-ietf-bess-evpn-na-flags-03.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2019-04-25

Abstract:
   An EVPN MAC/IP Advertisement route can optionally carry an IPv4 or
   IPv6 addresses associated with a MAC address. Remote PEs can use this
   information to reply locally (act as proxy) to IPv4 ARP requests and
   IPv6 Neighbor Solicitation messages and reduce/suppress the flooding
   produced by the Address Resolution procedure. The information
   conveyed in the MAC/IP route may not be enough for the remote PE to
   reply to local ARP or ND requests. For example, if a PE learns an
   IPv6->MAC ND entry via EVPN, the PE would not know if that particular
   IPv6->MAC pair belongs to a host, a router or a host with an anycast
   address, as this information is not carried in the MAC/IP route
   advertisements. Similarly, other information relevant to the IP->MAC
   ARP/ND entries may be needed. This document proposes an OPTIONAL
   extended community that is advertised along with an EVPN MAC/IP
   Advertisement route and carries information relevant to the ARP/ND
   resolution, so that an EVPN PE implementing a proxy-ARP/ND function
   can reply to ARP Requests or Neighbor Solicitations with the correct
   information.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-na-flags/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-na-flags-03
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-na-flags-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-bess-evpn-na-flags-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/