Subject: I-D Action: draft-trossen-sfc-name-based-sff-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 08:10:58 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Name-Based Service Function Forwarder (nSFF) component within SFC framework
        Authors         : Dirk Trossen
                          Debashish Purkayastha
                          Akbar Rahman
	Filename        : draft-trossen-sfc-name-based-sff-05.txt
	Pages           : 28
	Date            : 2019-05-15

Abstract:
   Adoption of cloud and fog technology allows operators to deploy a
   single "Service Function" to multiple "Execution locations".  The
   decision to steer traffic to a specific location may change
   frequently based on load, proximity etc.  Under the current SFC
   framework, steering traffic dynamically to the different execution
   end points require a specific 're-chaining', i.e., a change in the
   service function path reflecting the different IP endpoints to be
   used for the new execution points.  This procedure may be complex and
   take time.  In order to simplify re-chaining and reduce the time to
   complete the procedure, we discuss separating the logical Service
   Function Path from the specific execution end points.  This can be
   done by identifying the Service Functions using a name rather than a
   routable IP endpoint (or Layer 2 address).  This draft describes the
   necessary extensions, additional functions and protocol details in
   SFF (Service Function Forwarder) to handle name based relationships.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-trossen-sfc-name-based-sff/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-trossen-sfc-name-based-sff-05
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-trossen-sfc-name-based-sff-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-trossen-sfc-name-based-sff-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/