Subject: I-D Action: draft-li-tsvwg-loops-problem-opportunities-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 May 2019 19:47:31 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : LOOPS (Localized Optimizations of Path Segments) Problem Statement and Opportunities
        Authors         : Yizhou Li
                          Xingwang Zhou
	Filename        : draft-li-tsvwg-loops-problem-opportunities-02.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2019-05-24

Abstract:
   In various network deployments, end to end paths are partitioned into
   multiple segments.  In some cloud based WAN connections, multiple
   overlay tunnels in series are used to achieve better path selection
   and lower latency.  In satellite communication, the end to end path
   is split into two terrestrial segments and a satellite segment.
   Packet losses can be caused both by random events or congestion in
   various deployments.

   Traditional end-to-end transport layers respond to packet loss slowly
   especially in long-haul networks: They either wait for some signal
   from the receiver to indicate a loss and then retransmit from the
   sender or rely on sender's timeout which is often quite long.  Non-
   congestion caused packet loss may make the TCP sender over-reduce the
   sending rate unnecessarily.  With end-to-end encryption moving under
   the transport (QUIC), traditional PEP (performance enhancing proxy)
   techniques such as TCP splitting are no longer applicable.

   LOOPS (Local Optimizations on Path Segments) aims to provide non end-
   to-end, locally based in-network recovery to achieve better data
   delivery by making packet loss recovery faster and by avoiding the
   senders over-reducing their sending rate.  In an overlay network
   scenario, LOOPS can be performed over the existing, or purposely
   created, overlay tunnel based path segments.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-li-tsvwg-loops-problem-opportunities/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-li-tsvwg-loops-problem-opportunities-02
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-li-tsvwg-loops-problem-opportunities-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-li-tsvwg-loops-problem-opportunities-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/