Subject: I-D Action: draft-irtf-icnrg-icniot-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 May 2019 15:09:11 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Information-Centric Networking RG of the IRTF.

        Title           : Design Considerations for Applying ICN to IoT
        Authors         : Ravishankar Ravindran
                          Yanyong Zhang
                          Luigi Alfredo Grieco
                          Anders Lindgren
                          Jeff Burke
                          Bengt Ahlgren
                          Aytac Azgin
	Filename        : draft-irtf-icnrg-icniot-03.txt
	Pages           : 51
	Date            : 2019-05-02

Abstract:
   The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to connect billions of objects
   to the Internet.  After deploying many stand-alone IoT systems in
   different domains, the current trend is to develop a common, "thin
   waist" of protocols to enable a horizontally unified IoT
   architecture.  The objective of such an architecture is to make
   resource objects securely accessible to applications across
   organizations and domains.  Towards this goal, quite a few proposals
   have been made to build an application-layer based unified IoT
   platform on top of today's host-centric Internet.  However, there is
   a fundamental mismatch between the host-centric nature of today's
   Internet and the mostly information-centric nature of the IoT domain.
   To address this mismatch, the common set of protocols and network
   services offered by an information-centric networking (ICN)
   architecture can be leveraged to realize an ICN-based IoT (or ICN-
   IoT) architecture that can take advantage of the salient features of
   ICN such as naming, security, mobility, compute and efficient content
   and service delivery support offered by it.

   In this draft, we summarize the general IoT demands, and ICN features
   that support these requirements, and then discuss the challenges to
   realize an ICN-based IoT framework.  Beyond this, the goal of this
   draft is not to offer any specific ICN-IoT architectural proposal.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-icnrg-icniot/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-icnrg-icniot-03
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-irtf-icnrg-icniot-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-irtf-icnrg-icniot-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/