Subject: I-D Action: draft-kuhn-quic-0rtt-bdp-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2019 00:59:03 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Transport parameters for 0-RTT connections
        Authors         : Nicolas Kuhn
                          Emile Stephan
                          Gorry Fairhurst
	Filename        : draft-kuhn-quic-0rtt-bdp-03.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2019-07-08

Abstract:
   The time-to-service duration depends on both peers and the peer
   initiating the connection may not be the peer actually sending data.
   Moreover, clients may be resource-limited, behind a low bandwidth or
   a long-RTT network and may need adaptations to improve data
   transmission or reception.  While each client and server can have its
   dedicated solution to store path parameters, having a standard way of
   exchanging this information helps in providing symmetrical control of
   the optimisation and reducing protocol ossification.  QUIC may not be
   limited to HTTP3: it can be used as a substrate for proxying and
   tunneling.

   This memo discusses a solution where the client is informed about
   path parameters: both the client and the server can contribute to the
   reduction of the time-to-service for subsequent connections.  This
   would improve symmetrical transmission of data and reduce
   ossification of the protocol.  To improve the time-to-service of
   subsequent 0-RTT reconnection the server currently sets in the
   early_data extension the maximum volume of egress data the client is
   allowed to send when reconnecting.  This memo proposes BDP_metadata,
   an additional extension, to also inform the client about path
   parameters.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kuhn-quic-0rtt-bdp/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kuhn-quic-0rtt-bdp-03
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-kuhn-quic-0rtt-bdp-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-kuhn-quic-0rtt-bdp-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/