Subject: I-D Action: draft-ramki-igmp-ssm-ranges-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2019 15:21:31 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Source specific multicast range distribution for L2 multicast networks
        Authors         : Ramakrishnan Chokkanathapuram Sundaram
                          Stig Venaas
	Filename        : draft-ramki-igmp-ssm-ranges-00.txt
	Pages           : 5
	Date            : 2019-07-08

Abstract:
   In an IGMP snooping multicast network with version 3 (v3) enabled on
   the routers, when a v2 join/leave is received for a multicast group
   the router operates on V2 compatible mode.  For SSM ranges a (*,G)v2
   or v3 report should be ignored by the router/switch.  The IGMP
   snooping switches may not have knowledge about the user configured
   SSM range in the network to correctly discard/ignore the v2 join/
   leave.  Accepting (*,G) v2 or v3 will cause SSM operations to fail.
   This draft discusses distribution of SSM ranges in the L2 multicast
   network so that L2 snooping switches can learn about the configured
   SSM ranges and discard any (*,G) v2/v3 reports for the said ranges.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ramki-igmp-ssm-ranges/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ramki-igmp-ssm-ranges-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ramki-igmp-ssm-ranges-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/