Subject: I-D Action: draft-li-rtgwg-protocol-assisted-protocol-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2019 05:56:09 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Protocol Assisted Protocol (PAP)
        Authors         : Zhenbin Li
                          Lei Li
                          Yunan Gu
	Filename        : draft-li-rtgwg-protocol-assisted-protocol-00.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2019-07-08

Abstract:
   For routing protocol troubleshooting, different approaches exibit
   merits w.r.t. different situations.  They can be generally divided
   into two categories, the distributive way and the centralized way.  A
   very commonly used distributive approach is to log in possiblly all
   related devices one by one to check massive data via CLI.  Such
   approach provides very detailed device information, however it
   requires operators with high NOC (Network Operation Center)
   experience and suffers from low troubleshooting efficiency and high
   cost.  The centralized approach is realized by collecting data from
   devices via approaches, like the streaming Telemetry or BMP(BGP
   Monitoring Protocol) RFC7854 [RFC7854], for the centralized server to
   analyze all gathered data.  Such approach allows a comprehensive view
   fo the whole network and facilitates automated troubleshooting, but
   is limited by the data collection boundary set by different
   management domains, as well as high network bandwidth and CPU
   computation costs.

   This document proposes a semi-distributive and semi-centralized
   approach for fast routing protocol troubleshooting, localizing the
   target device and possibly the root cause, more precisely.  It
   defines a new protocol, called the PAP (Protocol assisted Protocol),
   for devices to exchange protocol related information between each
   other in both active and on-demand manners.  It allow devices to
   request specific information from other devices and receive replies
   to the requested data.  It also allows actively transmission of
   information without request to inform other devices to better react
   w.r.t. network issues.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-li-rtgwg-protocol-assisted-protocol/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-li-rtgwg-protocol-assisted-protocol-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-li-rtgwg-protocol-assisted-protocol-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/