Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-alto-incr-update-sse-17.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2019 08:22:35 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization WG of the IETF.

        Title           : ALTO Incremental Updates Using Server-Sent Events (SSE)
        Authors         : Wendy Roome
                          Y. Richard Yang
	Filename        : draft-ietf-alto-incr-update-sse-17.txt
	Pages           : 52
	Date            : 2019-07-23

Abstract:
   The Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) [RFC7285] protocol
   provides network related information, called network information
   resources, to client applications so that clients can make informed
   decisions in utilizing network resources.  For example, an ALTO
   server can provide network and cost maps so that an ALTO client can
   use the maps to determine the costs between network endpoints when
   choosing communicating endpoints.

   However, the ALTO protocol does not define a mechanism to allow an
   ALTO client to obtain updates to the information resources, other
   than by periodically re-fetching them.  Because some information
   resources (e.g., the aforementioned maps) may be large (potentially
   tens of megabytes), and because only parts of the information
   resources may change frequently (e.g., only some entries in a cost
   map), complete re-fetching can be extremely inefficient.

   This document presents a mechanism to allow an ALTO server to push
   updates to ALTO clients, to achieve two benefits: (1) updates can be
   immediate, in that the ALTO server can send updates as soon as they
   are available; and (2) updates can be incremental, in that if only a
   small section of an information resource changes, the ALTO server can
   send just the changes.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-incr-update-sse/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-alto-incr-update-sse-17
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-alto-incr-update-sse-17

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-alto-incr-update-sse-17

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/