Subject: I-D Action: draft-malhotra-bess-evpn-l3dl-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2019 18:28:25 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : L3DL based PE-CE Control Plane for EVPN
        Authors         : Neeraj Malhotra
                          Keyur Patel
                          Jorge Rabadan
	Filename        : draft-malhotra-bess-evpn-l3dl-00.txt
	Pages           : 30
	Date            : 2019-07-02

Abstract:
   In an EVPN network, EVPN PEs provide VPN bridging and routing service
   to connected CE devices based on BGP EVPN control plane. At present,
   there is no PE-CE control plane defined for an EVPN PE to learn CE
   MAC, IP, and any other routes from a CE that may be distributed in
   EVPN control plane to enable unicast flows between CE devices. As a
   result, EVPN PEs rely on data plane based gleaning of source MACs for
   CE MAC learning, ARP/ND snooping for CE IPv4/IPv6 learning, and in
   some cases, local configuration for learning prefix routes behind a
   CE. A PE-CE control plane alternative to this traditional learning
   approach, where applicable, offers certain distinct advantages that
   in turn result in simplified EVPN operation.

   This document defines a PE-CE control plane as an optional
   alternative to traditional non-control-plane based PE-CE learning in
   an EVPN network. It defines PE-CE control plane procedures and TLVs
   based on L3DL as the base protocol, enumerates advantages that may be
   achieved by using this PE-CE control plane, and discusses in detail
   EVPN use cases that are simplified as a result.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-malhotra-bess-evpn-l3dl/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-malhotra-bess-evpn-l3dl-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-malhotra-bess-evpn-l3dl-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/