Subject: I-D Action: draft-nygren-httpbis-httpssvc-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2019 08:23:22 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : HTTPSSVC service location and parameter specification via the DNS (DNS HTTPSVC)
        Authors         : Ben Schwartz
                          Mike Bishop
                          Erik Nygren
	Filename        : draft-nygren-httpbis-httpssvc-00.txt
	Pages           : 22
	Date            : 2019-07-03

Abstract:
   This document specifies an "HTTPSSVC" DNS resource record type to
   facilitate the lookup of information needed to make connections for
   HTTPS URIs.  The HTTPSSVC DNS RR mechanism allows an HTTPS origin
   hostname to be served from multiple network services, each with
   associated parameters (such as transport protocol and keying material
   for encrypting TLS SNI).  It also provides a solution for the
   inability of the DNS to allow a CNAME to be placed at the apex of a
   domain name.  Finally, it provides a way to indicate that the origin
   supports HTTPS without having to resort to redirects, allowing
   clients to remove HTTP from the bootstrapping process.

   By allowing this information to be bootstrapped in the DNS, it allows
   for clients to learn of alternative services before their first
   contact with the origin.  This arrangement offers potential benefits
   to both performance and privacy.

   TO BE REMOVED: This proposal is inspired by and based on recent DNS
   usage proposals such as ALTSVC, ANAME, and ESNIKEYS (as well as long
   standing desires to have SRV or a functional equivalent implemented
   for HTTP).  These proposals each provide an important function but
   are potentially incompatible with each other, such as when an origin
   is load-balanced across multiple hosting providers (multi-CDN).
   Furthermore, these each add potential cases for adding additional
   record lookups in-addition to AAAA/A lookups.  This design attempts
   to provide a unified framework that encompasses the key functionality
   of these proposals, as well as providing some extensibility for
   addressing similar future challenges.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-nygren-httpbis-httpssvc/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nygren-httpbis-httpssvc-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-nygren-httpbis-httpssvc-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/