Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-7706bis-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2019 16:19:39 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Running a Root Server Local to a Resolver
        Authors         : Warren Kumari
                          Paul Hoffman
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-7706bis-04.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2019-07-05

Abstract:
   Some DNS recursive resolvers have longer-than-desired round-trip
   times to the closest DNS root server.  Some DNS recursive resolver
   operators want to prevent snooping of requests sent to DNS root
   servers by third parties.  Such resolvers can greatly decrease the
   round-trip time and prevent observation of requests by running a copy
   of the full root zone on the same server, such as on a loopback
   address.  This document shows how to start and maintain such a copy
   of the root zone that does not pose a threat to other users of the
   DNS, at the cost of adding some operational fragility for the
   operator.

   This draft will update RFC 7706.  See Section 1.1 for a list of
   topics that will be added in the update.

   [ Ed note: Text inside square brackets ([]) is additional background
   information, answers to freqently asked questions, general musings,
   etc.  They will be removed before publication.]

   [ This document is being collaborated on in Github at:
   https://github.com/wkumari/draft-kh-dnsop-7706bis.  The most recent
   version of the document, open issues, and so on should all be
   available there.  The authors gratefully accept pull requests. ]

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-7706bis/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-7706bis-04
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-7706bis-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-7706bis-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/