Subject: I-D Action: draft-hallambaker-mesh-udf-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 15:20:54 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Mathematical Mesh 3.0 Part II: Uniform Data Fingerprint.
        Author          : Phillip Hallam-Baker
	Filename        : draft-hallambaker-mesh-udf-06.txt
	Pages           : 50
	Date            : 2019-08-15

Abstract:
   This document describes the naming and addressing schemes used in the
   Mathematical Mesh.  The means of generating Uniform Data Fingerprint
   (UDF) values and their presentation as text sequences and as URIs are
   described.

   A UDF consists of a binary sequence, the initial eight bits of which
   specify a type identifier code.  Type identifier codes have been
   selected so as to provide a useful mnemonic indicating their purpose
   when presented in Base32 encoding.

   Two categories of UDF are described.  Data UDFs provide a compact
   presentation of a fixed length binary data value in a format that is
   convenient for data entry.  A Data UDF may represent a cryptographic
   key, a nonce value or a share of a secret.  Fingerprint UDFs provide
   a compact presentation of a Message Digest or Message Authentication
   Code value.

   A Strong Internet Name (SIN) consists of a DNS name which contains at
   least one label that is a UDF fingerprint of a policy document
   controlling interpretation of the name.  SINs allow a direct trust
   model to be applied to achieve end-to-end security in existing
   Internet applications without the need for trusted third parties.

   UDFs may be presented as URIs to form either names or locators for
   use with the UDF location service.  An Encrypted Authenticated
   Resource Locator (EARL) is a UDF locator URI presenting a service
   from which an encrypted resource may be obtained and a symmetric key
   that may be used to decrypt the content.  EARLs may be presented on
   paper correspondence as a QR code to securely provide a machine-
   readable version of the same content.  This may be applied to
   automate processes such as invoicing or to provide accessibility
   services for the partially sighted.

   [Note to Readers]

   Discussion of this draft takes place on the MATHMESH mailing list
   ([email-masked]), which is archived at
   https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/search/?email_list=mathmesh.

   This document is also available online at
   http://mathmesh.com/Documents/draft-hallambaker-mesh-udf.html [1] .

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hallambaker-mesh-udf/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hallambaker-mesh-udf-06
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-hallambaker-mesh-udf-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-hallambaker-mesh-udf-06

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/