Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-7706bis-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 14:49:00 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Running a Root Server Local to a Resolver
        Authors         : Warren Kumari
                          Paul Hoffman
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-7706bis-05.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2019-08-26

Abstract:
   Some DNS recursive resolvers have longer-than-desired round-trip
   times to the closest DNS root server such as during a network attack.
   Some DNS recursive resolver operators want to prevent snooping by
   third parties of requests sent to DNS root servers.  Such resolvers
   can greatly decrease the round-trip time and prevent observation of
   requests by serving a copy of the full root zone on the same server,
   such as on a loopback address or in the resolver software.  This
   document shows how to start and maintain such a copy of the root zone
   that does not cause problems for other users of the DNS, at the cost
   of adding some operational fragility for the operator.

   [ This document is being collaborated on in Github at:
   https://github.com/wkumari/draft-kh-dnsop-7706bis.  The most recent
   version of the document, open issues, and so on should all be
   available there.  The authors gratefully accept pull requests. ]

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-7706bis/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-7706bis-05
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-7706bis-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-7706bis-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/