Subject: I-D Action: draft-nygren-dnsop-svcb-httpssvc-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 16:01:10 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Service binding and parameter specification via the DNS (DNS SVCB and HTTPSSVC)
        Authors         : Ben Schwartz
                          Mike Bishop
                          Erik Nygren
	Filename        : draft-nygren-dnsop-svcb-httpssvc-00.txt
	Pages           : 33
	Date            : 2019-09-23

Abstract:
   This document specifies the "SVCB" and "HTTPSSVC" DNS resource record
   types to facilitate the lookup of information needed to make
   connections for origin resources, such as for HTTPS URLs.  SVCB
   records allow an origin to be served from multiple network locations,
   each with associated parameters (such as transport protocol
   configuration and keying material for encrypting TLS SNI).  They also
   enable aliasing of apex domains, which is not possible with CNAME.
   The HTTPSSVC DNS RR is a variation of SVCB for HTTPS and HTTP
   origins.  By providing more information to the client before it
   attempts to establish a connection, these records offer potential
   benefits to both performance and privacy.

   TO BE REMOVED: This proposal is inspired by and based on recent DNS
   usage proposals such as ALTSVC, ANAME, and ESNIKEYS (as well as long
   standing desires to have SRV or a functional equivalent implemented
   for HTTP).  These proposals each provide an important function but
   are potentially incompatible with each other, such as when an origin
   is load-balanced across multiple hosting providers (multi-CDN).
   Furthermore, these each add potential cases for adding additional
   record lookups in-addition to AAAA/A lookups.  This design attempts
   to provide a unified framework that encompasses the key functionality
   of these proposals, as well as providing some extensibility for
   addressing similar future challenges.

   TO BE REMOVED: The specific name for this RR type is an open topic
   for discussion.  "SVCB" and "HTTPSSVC" are meant as placeholders as
   they are easy to replace.  Other names might include "B", "SRV2",
   "SVCHTTPS", "HTTPS", and "ALTSVC".

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-nygren-dnsop-svcb-httpssvc/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nygren-dnsop-svcb-httpssvc-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-nygren-dnsop-svcb-httpssvc-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/