Subject: I-D Action: draft-irtf-icnrg-icn-lte-4g-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2019 22:38:47 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Information-Centric Networking RG of the IRTF.

        Title           : Native Deployment of ICN in LTE, 4G Mobile Networks
        Authors         : Prakash Suthar
                          Milan Stolic
                          Anil Jangam
                          Dirk Trossen
                          Ravishankar Ravindran
	Filename        : draft-irtf-icnrg-icn-lte-4g-04.txt
	Pages           : 37
	Date            : 2019-09-09

Abstract:
   LTE, 4G mobile networks use IP based transport for control plane to
   establish the data session and user plane for actual data delivery.
   In existing architecture, IP transport used in user plane is not
   optimized for data transport, which leads to an inefficient data
   delivery.  IP unicast routing from server to clients is used for
   delivery of multimedia content to User Equipment (UE), where each
   user gets a separate stream.  From bandwidth and routing perspective
   this approach is inefficient.  Multicast and broadcast technologies
   have emerged recently for mobile networks, but their deployments are
   very limited or at an experimental stage due to complex architecture
   and radio spectrum issues.  ICN is a rapidly emerging technology with
   built-in features for efficient multimedia data delivery, however
   majority of the work is focused on fixed networks.  The main focus of
   this draft is on native deployment of ICN in cellular mobile networks
   by using ICN in 3GPP protocol stack.  ICN has an inherent capability
   for multicast, anchorless mobility, security and it is optimized for
   data delivery using local caching at the edge.  The proposed
   approaches in this draft allow ICN to be enabled natively over the
   current LTE stack comprising of PDCP/RLC/MAC/PHY or in a dual stack
   mode (along with IP) help optimize the mobile networks by leveraging
   the inherent benefits of ICN.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-icnrg-icn-lte-4g/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-icnrg-icn-lte-4g-04
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-irtf-icnrg-icn-lte-4g-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-irtf-icnrg-icn-lte-4g-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/