Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2019 12:45:33 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Serving Stale Data to Improve DNS Resiliency
        Authors         : David C Lawrence
                          Warren "Ace" Kumari
                          Puneet Sood
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale-08.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2019-09-18

Abstract:
   This draft defines a method (serve-stale) for recursive resolvers to
   use stale DNS data to avoid outages when authoritative nameservers
   cannot be reached to refresh expired data.  One of the motivations
   for serve-stale is to make the DNS more resilient to DoS attacks, and
   thereby make them less attractive as an attack vector.  This document
   updates the definitions of TTL from RFC 1034 and RFC 1035 so that
   data can be kept in the cache beyond the TTL expiry, updates RFC 2181
   by interpreting values with the high order bit set as being positive,
   rather than 0, and suggests a cap of 7 days.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale-08
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale-08

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/