Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-zone-digest-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 14:17:26 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Message Digest for DNS Zones
        Authors         : Duane Wessels
                          Piet Barber
                          Matt Weinberg
                          Warren Kumari
                          Wes Hardaker
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-zone-digest-02.txt
	Pages           : 29
	Date            : 2019-10-28

Abstract:
   This document describes an experimental protocol and new DNS Resource
   Record that can be used to provide a message digest over DNS zone
   data.  The ZONEMD Resource Record conveys the message digest data in
   the zone itself.  When a zone publisher includes an ZONEMD record,
   recipients can verify the zone contents for accuracy and
   completeness.  This provides assurance that received zone data
   matches published data, regardless of how the zone data has been
   transmitted and received.

   ZONEMD is not designed to replace DNSSEC.  Whereas DNSSEC protects
   individual RRSets (DNS data with fine granularity), ZONEMD protects
   protects a zone's data as a whole, whether consumed by authoritative
   name servers, recursive name servers, or any other applications.

   As specified at this time, ZONEMD is not designed for use in large,
   dynamic zones due to the time and resources required for digest
   calculation.  The ZONEMD record described in this document includes
   fields reserved for future work to support large, dynamic zones.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-zone-digest/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-zone-digest-02
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-zone-digest-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-zone-digest-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/