Subject: I-D Action: draft-huitema-rfc-eval-project-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2019 13:09:24 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Evaluation of a Sample of RFC Produced in 2018
        Author          : Christian Huitema
	Filename        : draft-huitema-rfc-eval-project-02.txt
	Pages           : 42
	Date            : 2019-10-07

Abstract:
   This document presents a first attempt at evaluating the recently
   published RFC.  We analyze a set of randomly chosen RFC approved in
   2018, looking for history and delays.  The average RFC was produced
   in 3 years and 4 months, of which 2 years and 10 months were spent in
   the working group, 3 to 4 months for IETF consensus and IESG review,
   and 3 to 4 months in RFC production.  The main variation in RFC
   production delays comes from the AUTH48 phase.

   We also measure the number of citations of the chosen RFC using
   Semantic Scholar, and compare citation counts with what we know about
   deployment.  We show that citation counts indicate academic interest,
   but correlate only loosely with deployment or usage of the
   specifications.

   The measurement of delays could be automated by processing dates and
   events recorded in the data tracker.  The measurement of published
   RFC could be complemented by statistics on abandoned drafts, which
   would measure the efficiency of the IETF triaging process.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-huitema-rfc-eval-project/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-huitema-rfc-eval-project-02
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-huitema-rfc-eval-project-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-huitema-rfc-eval-project-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/