Subject: I-D Action: draft-liu-ican-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 04:46:15 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Instant Congestion Assessment Network (iCAN) for Traffic Engineering
        Authors         : Joanna Dang
                          Bing Liu
                          Guangming Yang
                          Kyungtae Lee
	Filename        : draft-liu-ican-01.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2019-11-04

Abstract:
   This draft proposes a new technology named iCAN (instant Congestion
   Assessment Network), which represents a set of mechanisms running
   directly on network nodes.  These mechanisms allow the nodes
   adjusting the flows' paths based on real-time measurement of the
   candidate paths.  The measurement is to reflect the congestion
   situation of each path, so that the nodes could decide which flows
   need to be switched from a path to another.

   This is something that current TE technologies can hardly achieve.
   In current TE, the paths are usually planned in a certralized
   controller, which is far from the data plane, thus neither be able to
   assess the real-time congestion situation of each path, nor able to
   assure the data plane always go as expected (especially in SRv6
   scenarios).  In a result, traditional TE is not able to adjust the
   flow paths in real-time to fit for the change of traffic instantly.

   iCAN can work with traditional TE perfectly: the controller plans
   multi-path transmission in relatively long period (e.g. minutes), and
   iCAN does the flow path optimization in a much shorter interval (e.g.
   milliseconds).

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-liu-ican/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-liu-ican-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-liu-ican-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-liu-ican-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/