Subject: I-D Action: draft-google-self-published-geofeeds-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 12:50:57 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : A Format for Self-published IP Geolocation Feeds
        Authors         : Erik Kline
                          Krzysztof Duleba
                          Zoltan Szamonek
                          Stefan Moser
                          Warren Kumari
	Filename        : draft-google-self-published-geofeeds-06.txt
	Pages           : 22
	Date            : 2019-11-04

Abstract:
   This document records a format whereby a network operator can publish
   a mapping of IP address prefixes to simplified geolocation
   information, colloquially termed a geolocation "feed".  Interested
   parties can poll and parse these feeds to update or merge with other
   geolocation data sources and procedures.  This format intentionally
   only allows specifying coarse level location.

   Some technical organizations operating networks that move from one
   conference location to the next have already experimentally published
   small geolocation feeds.

   This document describes a currently deployed format.  At least one
   consumer (Google) has incorporated these feeds into a geolocation
   data pipeline, and a significant number of ISPs are using it to
   inform them where their prefixes should be geolocated.

   [RFC Ed - Please remove publication: The IETF Meeting network
   currently publishes a feed in this format at:
   https://noc.ietf.org/geo/google.csv -- this has significantly cut
   down on the number of "Gah!  Why does the network believe I'm in
   Montreal, that was last meeting!  How am I supposed to find a pub?!"
   complaints.  A number of other meeting networks, including RIPE and
   ICANN publish this information as well, see below. ]

   [ Ed note: Text inside square brackets ([]) is additional background
   information, answers to frequently asked questions, general musings,
   etc.  They will be removed before publication.]

   [ This document is being collaborated on in Github at:
   https://github.com/google/self-published-geo . The most recent
   version of the document, open issues, etc should all be available
   here.  The authors (gratefully) accept pull requests ]

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-google-self-published-geofeeds/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-google-self-published-geofeeds-06
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-google-self-published-geofeeds-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-google-self-published-geofeeds-06

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/