Subject: I-D Action: draft-wood-pearg-website-fingerprinting-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 07:36:14 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Network-Based Website Fingerprinting
        Authors         : Ian Goldberg
                          Tao Wang
                          Christopher A. Wood
	Filename        : draft-wood-pearg-website-fingerprinting-00.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2019-11-04

Abstract:
   The IETF is well on its way to protecting connection metadata with
   protocols such as DNS-over-TLS and DNS-over-HTTPS, and work-in-
   progress towards encrypting the TLS SNI.  However, more work is
   needed to protect traffic metadata, especially in the context of web
   traffic.  In this document, we survey Website Fingerprinting attacks,
   which are a class of attacks that use machine learning techniques to
   attack web privacy, and highlight metadata leaks used by said
   attacks.  We also survey proposed mitigations for such leakage and
   discuss their applicability to IETF protocols such as TLS, QUIC, and
   HTTP.  We endeavor to show that Website Fingerprinting attacks are a
   serious problem that affect all Internet users, and we pose open
   problems and directions for future research in this area.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-wood-pearg-website-fingerprinting/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wood-pearg-website-fingerprinting-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-wood-pearg-website-fingerprinting-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/