Subject: I-D Action: draft-fries-anima-brski-async-enroll-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 06:34:40 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Support of asynchronous Enrollment in BRSKI
        Authors         : Steffen Fries
                          Hendrik Brockhaus
                          Eliot Lear
	Filename        : draft-fries-anima-brski-async-enroll-02.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2019-11-04

Abstract:
   This document discusses an enhancement of automated bootstrapping of
   a remote secure key infrastructure (BRSKI) to operate in domains
   featuring no or only timely limited connectivity to backend services
   offering enrollment functionality, specifically a Public Key
   Infrastructure (PKI).  In the context of deploying new devices the
   design of BRSKI allows for online (synchronous object exchange) and
   offline interactions (asynchronous object exchange) with a
   manufacturer's authorization service.  For this it utilizes a self-
   contained voucher to transport the domain credentials as a signed
   object to establish an initial trust between a pledge and the target
   deployment domain.  The currently supported enrollment protocol for
   request and distribution of deployment domain specific device
   certificates provides only limited support for asynchronous PKI
   interactions.  This memo motivates the enhancement of supporting
   self-contained objects for certificate management by using an
   abstract notation.  This allows off-site operation of PKI services
   outside the deployment domain of the pledge.  This addresses
   specifically scenarios, in which the final authorization of
   certification request of a pledge cannot be made in the deployment
   domain and is therefore delegated to a operator backend.  The goal is
   to enable the usage of existing and potentially new PKI protocols
   supporting self-containment for certificate management.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-fries-anima-brski-async-enroll/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-fries-anima-brski-async-enroll-02
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-fries-anima-brski-async-enroll-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-fries-anima-brski-async-enroll-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/