Subject: I-D Action: draft-gray-sampled-streaming-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 10:23:19 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Sampled Traffic Streaming
        Authors         : Andrew Gray
                          Lawrence J Wobker
	Filename        : draft-gray-sampled-streaming-02.txt
	Pages           : 36
	Date            : 2019-11-04

Abstract:
   This document standardizes both 1) a means of requesting a stream of
   packet samples from any device generating, routing, or forwarding
   traffic, and 2) receiving metadata information from the network
   element about these packet samples, and the structure of said stream
   metadata.  A main design requirement is to provide network elements
   with widely varying capabilities (e.g., ASICs, NPUs, NICs, vSwitches,
   CPUs) a mechanism to sample and export packets at high rates, by
   allowing communication of the specific bit formats of internal data
   headers applied to the packet flow, in a way that enhances
   interoperability between traffic sources and sinks.  Historically,
   Netflow and similar mechanisms have been used for these use cases;
   however, the increasing packet rates of very high-speed devices and
   increasing variance in the information available to data planes lends
   itself to both a less-prescriptive set of packet formats as well as a
   decoupling of the sampling action from the collection and analysis
   mechanisms.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gray-sampled-streaming/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gray-sampled-streaming-02
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-gray-sampled-streaming-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-gray-sampled-streaming-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/