Subject: I-D Action: draft-kohno-dmm-srv6mob-arch-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2019 10:18:26 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Architecture Discussion on SRv6 Mobile User plane
        Authors         : Miya Kohno
                          Francois Clad
                          Pablo Camarillo
                          Zafar Ali
	Filename        : draft-kohno-dmm-srv6mob-arch-00.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2019-11-01

Abstract:
   Layer separation is a powerful concept in system architecture.  In
   the area of mobility, by separating GTP-U that is the overlay tunnel,
   and the IP transport network that is the underlay, the operation of
   the mobile network and the transport network can be separated,
   allowing them to evolve independently.

   However, evolving individually at each layer promotes local
   optimization and may result in non-optimal solutions overall in the
   long run.

   When a drastic architectural transition is required, for example, in
   the 5G era where various SLAs and completely new data intensive
   services are assumed, it is necessary to reconsider the architecture
   holistically, rather than from the viewpoint of individual layer.

   One important value propositions of SRv6 mobile user plane is the
   possible optimization across the existing multiple layers.

   This document discusses the architectural implications of applying
   SRv6 mobile user plane, especially regarding the possible
   optimization of existing layers.  Then it takes 5G requirements and
   use cases as an example, and describes how these use cases are simply
   and effectively realized with the inter-layer optimization capability
   of SRv6 mobile user plane.  Thus it show that SRv6 mobile use plane
   is a right architectural choice for the 5G era.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kohno-dmm-srv6mob-arch/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kohno-dmm-srv6mob-arch-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-kohno-dmm-srv6mob-arch-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/