Subject: I-D Action: draft-hoffman-c2pq-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 18:34:35 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Crypto Forum RG of the IRTF.

        Title           : The Transition from Classical to Post-Quantum Cryptography
        Author          : Paul Hoffman
	Filename        : draft-hoffman-c2pq-06.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2019-11-25

Abstract:
   Quantum computing is the study of computers that use quantum features
   in calculations.  For over 20 years, it has been known that if very
   large, specialized quantum computers could be built, they could have
   a devastating effect on asymmetric classical cryptographic algorithms
   such as RSA and elliptic curve signatures and key exchange, as well
   as (but in smaller scale) on symmetric cryptographic algorithms such
   as block ciphers, MACs, and hash functions.  There has already been a
   great deal of study on how to create algorithms that will resist
   large, specialized quantum computers, but so far, the properties of
   those algorithms make them onerous to adopt before they are needed.

   Small quantum computers are being built today, but it is still far
   from clear when large, specialized quantum computers will be built
   that can recover private or secret keys in classical algorithms at
   the key sizes commonly used today.  It is important to be able to
   predict when large, specialized quantum computers usable for
   cryptanalysis will be possible so that organization can change to
   post-quantum cryptographic algorithms well before they are needed.

   This document describes quantum computing, how it might be used to
   attack classical cryptographic algorithms, and possibly how to
   predict when large, specialized quantum computers will become
   feasible.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hoffman-c2pq/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hoffman-c2pq-06
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-hoffman-c2pq-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-hoffman-c2pq-06

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/