Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-bess-evpn-pref-df-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2019 10:59:57 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the BGP Enabled ServiceS WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Preference-based EVPN DF Election
        Authors         : J. Rabadan
                          S. Sathappan
                          T. Przygienda
                          W. Lin
                          J. Drake
                          A. Sajassi
                          S. Mohanty
	Filename        : draft-ietf-bess-evpn-pref-df-05.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2019-12-17

Abstract:
   The Designated Forwarder (DF) in Ethernet Virtual Private Networks
   (EVPN) is defined as the PE responsible for sending Broadcast,
   Unknown unicast and Broadcast traffic (BUM) to a multi-homed device/
   network in the case of an all-active multi-homing Ethernet Segment
   (ES), or BUM and unicast in the case of single-active multi-homing.

   The DF is selected out of a candidate list of PEs that advertise the
   same Ethernet Segment Identifier (ESI) to the EVPN network, according
   to the Default DF Election algorithm.

   While the Default Algorithm provides an efficient and automated way
   of selecting the DF across different Ethernet Tags in the ES, there
   are some use-cases where a more 'deterministic' and user-controlled
   method is required.  At the same time, Service Providers require an
   easy way to force an on-demand DF switchover in order to carry out
   some maintenance tasks on the existing DF or control whether a new
   active PE can preempt the existing DF PE.

   This document proposes an extension to the Default DF election
   procedures so that the above requirements can be met.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-pref-df/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-pref-df-05
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-pref-df-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-bess-evpn-pref-df-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/