Subject: I-D Action: draft-song-opsawg-ifit-framework-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2019 17:34:39 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : In-situ Flow Information Telemetry
        Authors         : Haoyu Song
                          Fengwei Qin
                          Huanan Chen
                          Jaehwan Jin
                          Jongyoon Shin
	Filename        : draft-song-opsawg-ifit-framework-09.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2019-12-04

Abstract:
   Efficient network operation increasingly relies on data-plane
   telemetry.  As networks increase in scale and network operations
   become more sophisticated, traditional Operation, Administration and
   Maintenance (OAM) methods, which include proactive and reactive
   techniques, running in active and passive modes, become more
   susceptible to measurement accuracy and misconfiguration errors.

   With the advent of programmable data-plane, emerging on-path
   telemetry techniques provide unprecedented flow insight and realtime
   notification of network issues (e.g., jitter, increased latency,
   packet loss, significant bit error variations, and unequal load-
   balancing).

   This document enumerates several key deployment challenges and
   requirements for on-path telemetry techniques, especially in carrier
   operator networks.  To address these issues, this document outlines a
   high-level framework, In-situ Flow Information Telemetry (iFIT). iFIT
   provides several essential components that can be assembled to
   achieve a complete and efficient solution for on-path telemetry.

   As a reference and open framework, iFIT only describes the basic
   functions of each identified component and suggests possible
   applications.  It does not specify the implementation of the
   components and the interfaces between the components.  The compliance
   of iFIT framework is not mandated either.  This informational
   document aims to clarify the problem domain, and summarize the best
   practices and sensible system design considerations.  The iFIT
   framework helps to guide the analysis on the current standard status
   and gaps, and motivate new works to complete the ecosystem.  It also
   helps to inspire innovative network telemetry applications supporting
   advanced network operations.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-song-opsawg-ifit-framework/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-song-opsawg-ifit-framework-09
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-song-opsawg-ifit-framework-09

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-song-opsawg-ifit-framework-09

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/