Subject: I-D Action: draft-hallambaker-mesh-trust-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 15:36:37 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Mathematical Mesh 3.0 Part VI: The Trust Mesh
        Author          : Phillip Hallam-Baker
	Filename        : draft-hallambaker-mesh-trust-04.txt
	Pages           : 26
	Date            : 2020-01-16

Abstract:
   This paper extends Shannon's concept of a 'work factor' as applied to
   evaluation of cryptographic algorithms to provide an objective
   measure of the practical security offered by a protocol or
   infrastructure design.  Considering the hypothetical work factor
   based on an informed estimate of the probable capabilities of an
   attacker with unknown resources provides a better indication of the
   relative strength of protocol designs than the computational work
   factor of the best-known attack.

   The social work factor is a measure of the trustworthiness of a
   credential issued in a PKI based on the cost of having obtained the
   credential through fraud at a certain point in time.  Use of the
   social work factor allows evaluation of Certificate Authority based
   trust models and peer to peer (Web of Trust) models to be evaluated
   in the same framework.  The analysis demonstrates that both
   approaches have limitations and that in certain applications, a
   blended model is superior to either by itself.

   The final section of the paper describes a proposal to realize this
   blended model using the Mathematical Mesh.

   [Note to Readers]

   Discussion of this draft takes place on the MATHMESH mailing list
   ([email-masked]), which is archived at
   https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/search/?email_list=mathmesh.

   This document is also available online at
   http://mathmesh.com/Documents/draft-hallambaker-mesh-trust.html.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hallambaker-mesh-trust/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hallambaker-mesh-trust-04
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-hallambaker-mesh-trust-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-hallambaker-mesh-trust-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/