Subject: I-D Action: draft-dmudric-sipcore-sipv6-addr-selection-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2020 07:12:19 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : SIPv6 Headers and SDP Media Line Address Selection on Multihomed Hosts
        Authors         : Dusan Mudric
                          Dragan Grebovich
	Filename        : draft-dmudric-sipcore-sipv6-addr-selection-00.txt
	Pages           : 22
	Date            : 2020-01-07

Abstract:
   In the networks where multihomed hosts can have ULA and GUA addresses
   from different ISPs, multiple SIP signaling and media connectivity
   issues might arise due to inappropriate address selections. Some of
   the problems are described in [RFC5220]. Since SIP and SDP allow IP
   addresses to be embedded into their headers and lines, even if proper
   addresses are selected initially, SIP is not equipped with the
   mechanisms to respond to network events, and transition transport to
   reachable addresses. As a result, SIP messages and media might be
   filtered by routers, or discarded as unreachable destinations.

   SIP protocol (RFC 3261) defines signaling messages and their headers.
   This document describes how a multihomed host should select addresses
   for SIP headers, like Contact and Via, to be reachable destinations.
   Host SHOULD change a default router for uplink failures, remove
   prefixes and addresses for unreachable ISP, and update contact
   address list.

   SDP protocol (RFC 3264) defines how participants in a session select
   their parameters. This document describes how an offerer and answerer
   on multihomed hosts should select their addresses. If one of the
   selected addresses becomes unreachable, the document describes the
   mechanism how a new one should be selected and renegotiated.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dmudric-sipcore-sipv6-addr-selection/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dmudric-sipcore-sipv6-addr-selection-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-dmudric-sipcore-sipv6-addr-selection-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/