Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 05:58:42 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Identifying Modified Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) Semantics for Ultra-Low Queuing Delay (L4S)
        Authors         : Koen De Schepper
                          Bob Briscoe
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id-09.txt
	Pages           : 44
	Date            : 2020-02-20

Abstract:
   This specification defines the identifier to be used on IP packets
   for a new network service called low latency, low loss and scalable
   throughput (L4S).  It is similar to the original (or 'Classic')
   Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN).  'Classic' ECN marking was
   required to be equivalent to a drop, both when applied in the network
   and when responded to by a transport.  Unlike 'Classic' ECN marking,
   for packets carrying the L4S identifier, the network applies marking
   more immediately and more aggressively than drop, and the transport
   response to each mark is reduced and smoothed relative to that for
   drop.  The two changes counterbalance each other so that the
   throughput of an L4S flow will be roughly the same as a non-L4S flow
   under the same conditions.  Nonetheless, the much more frequent
   control signals and the finer responses to them result in ultra-low
   queuing delay (sub-millisecond) for L4S traffic without compromising
   link utilization, and this low delay can be maintained during high
   traffic load.

   The L4S identifier defined in this document is the key piece that
   distinguishes L4S from TCP-Reno-Friendly (or 'Classic') traffic.  It
   gives an incremental migration path so that suitably modified network
   bottlenecks can distinguish and isolate existing Classic traffic from
   L4S traffic to prevent it from degrading the ultra-low queuing delay
   and loss of the new scalable transports, without harming Classic
   performance.  Examples of new active queue management (AQM) marking
   algorithms and examples of new transports (whether TCP-like or real-
   time) are specified separately.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id-09
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id-09

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id-09

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/