Subject: I-D Action: draft-oran-icnrg-flowbalance-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2020 08:41:17 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Maintaining CCNx or NDN flow balance with highly variable data object sizes
        Author          : Dave Oran
	Filename        : draft-oran-icnrg-flowbalance-02.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2020-02-03

Abstract:
   Deeply embedded in some ICN architectures, especially Named Data
   Networking (NDN) and Content-Centric Networking (CCNx) is the notion
   of flow balance.  This captures the idea that there is a one-to-one
   correspondence between requests for data, carried in Interest
   messages, and the responses with the requested data object, carried
   in Data messages.  This has a number of highly beneficial properties
   for flow and congestion control in networks, as well as some
   desirable security properties.  For example, neither legitimate users
   nor attackers are able to inject large amounts of un-requested data
   into the network.

   Existing congestion control approaches however cannot deal
   effectively with a widely varying MTU of ICN data messages, since the
   protocols allow a dynamic range of 1-64K bytes.  Since Interest
   messages are used to allocate the reverse link bandwidth for
   returning Data, there is large uncertainty in how to allocate that
   bandwidth.  Unfortunately, current congestion control schemes in CCNx
   and NDN only count Interest messages and have no idea how much data
   is involved that could congest the inverse link.  This document
   proposes a method to maintain flow balance by accommodating the wide
   dynamic range in Data message MTU.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-oran-icnrg-flowbalance/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-oran-icnrg-flowbalance-02
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-oran-icnrg-flowbalance-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-oran-icnrg-flowbalance-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/