Subject: I-D Action: draft-kuehlewind-system-ports-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 09:06:36 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Reassignment of System Ports to the IESG
        Authors         : Mirja Kühlewind
                          Sabrina Tanamal
	Filename        : draft-kuehlewind-system-ports-05.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2020-02-10

Abstract:
   In the IANA Service Name and Transport Protocol Port Number Registry,
   a large number of System Ports are currently assigned to individuals
   or companies who have registered the port for the use with a certain
   protocol before RFC6335 was published.  For some of these ports, RFCs
   exist that describe the respective protocol; for others, RFCs are
   under development that define, re-define, or assign the protocol used
   for the respective port, such as in case of so-far unused UDP ports
   that have been registered together with the respective TCP port.  In
   these cases the IESG has the change control about the protocol used
   on the port (as described in the corresponding RFC) but change
   control for the port allocation iis designated to others.  Under
   existing operational procedures, this means the original assignee
   needs to be involved in chnage to the port assignment.  As it is not
   always possible to get in touch with the original assignee,
   particularly because of out-dated contact information, this current
   practice of handling historical allocation of System Ports does not
   scale well on a case-by-case basis.  To address this, this document
   instructs IANA to perform actions with the goal to reassign System
   Ports to the IESG that were assigned to individuals prior to the
   publication of RFC6335, where appropriate.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kuehlewind-system-ports/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kuehlewind-system-ports-05
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-kuehlewind-system-ports-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-kuehlewind-system-ports-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/