Subject: I-D Action: draft-huitema-rfc-eval-project-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2020 23:05:32 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Evaluation of a Sample of RFC Produced in 2018
        Author          : Christian Huitema
	Filename        : draft-huitema-rfc-eval-project-03.txt
	Pages           : 47
	Date            : 2020-02-07

Abstract:
   This document presents a first attempt at evaluating the recently
   published RFC.  We analyze a set of randomly chosen RFC approved in
   2018, looking for history and delays.  We also use two randomly
   chosen sets of RFC published in 2008 and 1998 for comparing delays
   seen in 2018 to those observed 10 or 20 years ago.
   The average RFC in the 2018 sample was produced in 3 years and 4
   months, of which 2 years and 10 months were spent in the working
   group, 3 to 4 months for IETF consensus and IESG review, and 3 to 4
   months in RFC production.  The main variation in RFC production
   delays comes from the AUTH-48 phase.

   We also measure the number of citations of the chosen RFC using
   Semantic Scholar, and compare citation counts with what we know about
   deployment.  We show that citation counts indicate academic interest,
   but correlate only loosely with deployment or usage of the
   specifications.

   The RFCs selected for this survey were chosen at random and represent
   a small sample of all RFCs produced, and only approximately 10% of
   the RFCs produced in each of 1998, 2008, and 2018.  It is possible
   that different samples would produce different results.  Furthermore,
   the conclusions drawn from the observations made in this document
   represent the author's opinions and do not have consensus of the
   IETF.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-huitema-rfc-eval-project/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-huitema-rfc-eval-project-03
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-huitema-rfc-eval-project-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-huitema-rfc-eval-project-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/