Subject: I-D Action: draft-li-apn-problem-statement-usecases-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2020 08:14:12 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Problem Statement and Use Cases of Application-aware Networking (APN)
        Authors         : Zhenbin Li
                          Shuping Peng
                          Daniel Voyer
                          Chongfeng Xie
                          Peng Liu
                          Zhuangzhuang Qin
                          Kentaro Ebisawa
                          Stefano Previdi
                          James N Guichard
	Filename        : draft-li-apn-problem-statement-usecases-00.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2020-03-05

Abstract:
   Network operators are facing the challenge of providing better
   network services for users.  As the ever developing 5G and industrial
   verticals evolve, more and more services that have diverse network
   requirements such as ultra-low latency and high reliability are
   emerging, and therefore differentiated service treatment is desired
   by users.  However, network operators are typically unaware of which
   applications are traversing their network infrastructure, which means
   that only coarse-grained services can be provided to users.  As a
   result, network operators are only evolving their infrastructure to
   be large but dumb pipes without corresponding revenue increases that
   might be enabled by differentiated service treatment.  As network
   technologies evolve including deployments of IPv6, SRv6, Segment
   Routing over MPLS dataplane, the programmability provided by IPv6 and
   Segment Routing can be augmented by conveying application related
   information into the network.  Adding application knowledge to the
   network layer allows applications to specify finer granularity
   requirements to the network operator.

   This document analyzes the existing problems caused by lack of
   application awareness, and outlines various use cases that could
   benefit from an Application-aware Networking (APN) architecture.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-li-apn-problem-statement-usecases/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-li-apn-problem-statement-usecases-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-li-apn-problem-statement-usecases-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/