Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-alto-path-vector-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 16:36:15 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization WG of the IETF.

        Title           : ALTO Extension: Path Vector
        Authors         : Kai Gao
                          Young Lee
                          Yang Richard Yang
                          Jingxuan Jensen Zhang
	Filename        : draft-ietf-alto-path-vector-10.txt
	Pages           : 37
	Date            : 2020-03-09

Abstract:
   This document is an extension to the base Application-Layer Traffic
   Optimization protocol [RFC7285].  The current ALTO Cost Services
   allow applications to obtain cost values on an end-to-end path
   defined by its source and destination.  The present extension
   provides abstracted information on particular network parts or
   elements traversed by a path between its source and destination.
   Examples of such abstracted parts are networks, data centers or
   links.  This is useful for applications whose performance is impacted
   by particular network parts they traverse or by their properties.
   Applications having the choice among several connection paths may use
   this information to select paths accordingly and improve their
   performance.  In particular, they may infer that several paths share
   common links and prevent traffic bottlenecks by avoiding such paths.
   This document introduces a new cost type called Path Vector.  A Path
   Vector is an array of entities that each identifies an abstracted
   representation of a network part and that are called Abstract Network
   Element (ANE).  Each ANE is defined by a set of properties.  ANE
   properties are conveyed by an ALTO information resource called
   "Property Map", that can be packed together with the Path Vectors in
   a multipart response.  They can also be obtained via a separate ALTO
   request to a Property Map. An ALTO Property Map is an extension to
   the ALTO protocol, that is specified in another document entitled
   "Unified Properties for the ALTO Protocol"
   [I-D.ietf-alto-unified-props-new].

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-path-vector/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-alto-path-vector-10
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-alto-path-vector-10

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-alto-path-vector-10

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/