Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 14:10:11 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization WG of the IETF.

        Title           : ALTO Performance Cost Metrics
        Authors         : Qin Wu
                          Y. Richard Yang
                          Dhruv Dhody
                          Sabine Randriamasy
                          Luis Miguel Contreras
	Filename        : draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-09.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2020-03-09

Abstract:
   Cost metric is a basic concept in Application-Layer Traffic
   Optimization (ALTO), and is used in basic ALTO services including
   both the cost map service and the endpoint cost service.

   Different applications may use different cost metrics, but the ALTO
   base protocol [RFC7285] documents only one single cost metric, i.e.,
   the generic "routingcost" metric; see Sec. 14.2 of [RFC7285].  Hence,
   if the resource consumer of an application prefers a resource
   provider that offers low-delay delivery to the resource consumer, the
   base protocol does not define the cost metric to be used.

   ALTO cost metrics can be generic metrics and this document focuses on
   network performance metrics, including network delay, jitter, packet
   loss, hop count, and bandwidth.

   When using an ALTO performance metric, an application may need
   additional contextual information beyond the metric value.  For
   example, whether the metric is an estimation based on measurements or
   a service-level agreement (SLA) can define the meaning of a
   performance metric.  Hence, this document introduces an additional
   "cost-context" field to the ALTO "cost-type" field to convey such
   information.  To report an estimated value of a performance metric,
   the ALTO server may derive and aggregate from routing protocols with
   different granularity and scope, such as BGP-LS, OSPF-TE and ISIS-TE,
   or from end-to-end traffic management tools.  These metrics may then
   be exposed by an ALTO Server to allow applications to determine
   "where" to connect based on network performance criteria.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-09
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-09

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-09

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/