Subject: I-D Action: draft-cw-bfd-unaffiliated-echo-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 07:22:21 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Unaffiliated BFD Echo Function
        Authors         : Weiqiang Cheng
                          Ruixue Wang
                          Xiao Min
                          Aihua Liu
	Filename        : draft-cw-bfd-unaffiliated-echo-00.txt
	Pages           : 6
	Date            : 2020-03-09

Abstract:
   Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD) is a fault detection
   protocol that can quickly determine a communication failure between
   devices and notify upper-layer applications [RFC5880].  BFD has
   asynchronous detecting mode and demand detection mode to satisfy
   different scenarios, also supports echo function as an adjunct to
   both modes to reduce the device requirement for BFD.

   Unaffiliated BFD echo function described in this document reuses the
   BFD echo function as described in [RFC5880] and [RFC5881], but
   independent of BFD asynchronous mode or BFD demand mode, that means
   it doesn't need BFD protocol capability of state machine, but only
   BFD echo function to a deployed device supporting BFD detection.
   When using unaffiliated BFD echo function, just the local device
   works on BFD protocol and the BFD peer doesn't, which only loopback
   the received BFD echo packets as usual data packets without enabling
   BFD protocol.

   Section 6.2.2 of [BBF-TR-146] describes one use case of the
   unaffiliated BFD echo function, and at least one more use case is
   known in the field BFD deployment.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-cw-bfd-unaffiliated-echo/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-cw-bfd-unaffiliated-echo-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-cw-bfd-unaffiliated-echo-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/