Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-7706bis-11.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 15:45:29 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Running a Root Server Local to a Resolver
        Authors         : Warren Kumari
                          Paul Hoffman
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-7706bis-11.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2020-03-12

Abstract:
   Some DNS recursive resolvers have longer-than-desired round-trip
   times to the closest DNS root server; those resolvers may have
   difficulty getting responses from the root servers, such as during a
   network attack.  Some DNS recursive resolver operators want to
   prevent snooping by third parties of requests sent to DNS root
   servers.  Such resolvers can greatly decrease the round-trip time and
   prevent observation of requests by serving a copy of the full root
   zone on the same server, such as on a loopback address or in the
   resolver software.  This document shows how to start and maintain
   such a copy of the root zone that does not cause problems for other
   users of the DNS, at the cost of adding some operational fragility
   for the operator.

   This document obsoletes RFC 7706.

   [ This document is being collaborated on in Github at:
   https://github.com/wkumari/draft-kh-dnsop-7706bis.  The most recent
   version of the document, open issues, and so on should all be
   available there.  The authors gratefully accept pull requests. ]

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-7706bis/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-7706bis-11
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-7706bis-11

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-7706bis-11

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/