Subject: I-D Action: draft-fries-anima-brski-async-enroll-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2020 05:57:02 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Support of asynchronous Enrollment in BRSKI
        Authors         : Steffen Fries
                          Hendrik Brockhaus
                          Eliot Lear
	Filename        : draft-fries-anima-brski-async-enroll-03.txt
	Pages           : 33
	Date            : 2020-03-06

Abstract:
   This document discusses enhancements of bootstrapping of a remote
   secure key infrastructure (BRSKI) to also operate in domains
   featuring no or only timely limited connectivity to backend services
   offering enrollment functionality, specifically a Public Key
   Infrastructure (PKI).  The enhancements proposed to enable this are
   also applied to further set of use cases in which a pledge may not
   have a direct connection to the registrar and is served by for
   instance by a commissioning tool as an agent providing registrar
   connectivity.  In the context of deploying new devices the design of
   BRSKI allows for online (synchronous object exchange) and offline
   interactions (asynchronous object exchange) with a manufacturer's
   authorization service.  For this it utilizes an authenticated self-
   contained voucher to transport the domain credentials as a signed
   object to establish an initial trust between a pledge and the target
   deployment domain.  The currently supported enrollment protocol for
   request and distribution of deployment domain specific device
   certificates provides only limited support for asynchronous PKI
   interactions.  This memo motivates the enhancement of supporting
   authenticated self-contained objects for certificate management by
   using an abstract notation.  The enhancement allows on one hand off-
   site operation of PKI services outside the deployment domain of the
   pledge.  This addresses specifically scenarios, in which the final
   authorization of a certification request of a pledge cannot be made
   in the deployment domain and is therefore delegated to a operator
   backend.  On the other hand, this enhancement also facilitates the
   exchange of certificate management information via a pledge agent.
   The goal is to enable the usage of existing and potentially new PKI
   protocols supporting authenticated self-containment for certificate
   management exchanges.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-fries-anima-brski-async-enroll/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-fries-anima-brski-async-enroll-03
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-fries-anima-brski-async-enroll-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-fries-anima-brski-async-enroll-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/