Subject: I-D Action: draft-fairhurst-quic-ack-scaling-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2020 04:06:54 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Changing the Default QUIC ACK Policy
        Authors         : Godred Fairhurst
                          Ana Custura
                          Tom Jones
	Filename        : draft-fairhurst-quic-ack-scaling-01.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2020-03-05

Abstract:
   ACKs are used by transport protocols to confirm delivery of packets.
   The transmission of ACKs consumes resources at the receiver, in the
   network and at the sender.  On network paths where there is
   significant path asymmetry, acknowledgments of data receipt can
   reduce the efficient use of network capacity.  This effect occurs
   when the return capacity is significantly more constrained than the
   forward capacity, or the cost of transmission per packet is a
   significant component of the total transmission cost.  In these
   cases, reducing the ratio of acknowledgements to data can improve
   link utilization and reduce link transmission costs.  It can also
   reduce processing overhead at the sender and receiver.

   This document proposes a change to the default acknowledgement policy
   of the QUIC transport protocol to improve performance over paths with
   appreciable asymmetry.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-fairhurst-quic-ack-scaling/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-fairhurst-quic-ack-scaling-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-fairhurst-quic-ack-scaling-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-fairhurst-quic-ack-scaling-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/