Subject: I-D Action: draft-gao-alto-fcs-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2020 07:21:51 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : ALTO Extension: Flow-based Cost Query
        Authors         : Jingxuan Jensen Zhang
                          Kai Gao
                          Junzhuo Wang
                          Yang Richard Yang
	Filename        : draft-gao-alto-fcs-07.txt
	Pages           : 28
	Date            : 2020-03-14

Abstract:
   ALTO cost maps and endpoint cost services map a source-destination
   pair into a cost value.  However, current filter specifications,
   which define the set of source-destination pairs in an ALTO query,
   have two limitations: 1) Only very limited address types are
   supported (IPv4 and IPv6), which is not sufficient to uniquely
   identify a flow in networks with fine-grained routing, such as the
   emerging Software Defined Networks; 2) The base ALTO protocol only
   defines filters enumerating all sources and all destinations, leading
   to redundant information in the response; 3) Cannot distinguish
   transmission types of flows in the query, which makes the server hard
   to respond the accurate resource consumption.  To address these three
   issues, this document extends the base ALTO protocol with a more
   fine-grained filter type which allows ALTO clients to select only the
   concerned source-destination pairs and announce the flow-specific
   information like data transmission type, and a more expressive
   address space which allows ALTO clients to make queries beyond the
   limited IP addresses.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gao-alto-fcs/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gao-alto-fcs-07
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-gao-alto-fcs-07

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-gao-alto-fcs-07

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/