Subject: I-D Action: draft-williams-http-accept-auth-and-redirect-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 15:54:49 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Accept-Auth HTTP Header for 3xx/401 Negotiation, and Redirect Authentication Scheme
        Author          : Nico Williams
	Filename        : draft-williams-http-accept-auth-and-redirect-02.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2020-04-10

Abstract:
   The Hyper-Text Transport Protocol (HTTP) offers several
   authentication schemes, but many sites use redirection-based
   protocols to authenticate users.  Some servers are faced with a
   connundrum, having to choose between two mutually-exclusive options:
   redirect responses or 401 (authentication required) responses without
   knowing which the user-agent is most likely to support.

   This document specifies new HTTP request headers by which many
   applications can improve interoperability even without changing their
   HTTP implementations.  These new headers allow user-agents to
   advertise authentication- and redirect-related capbilities that
   servers can use to better make authentication and/or redirect
   decisions.

   Also specified is a new HTTP authentication scheme named "Redirect"
   that enables communication between redirecting and redirected
   authorities via preservation of "Authorization" headers across
   redirections.  This enables arbitrary authentication and
   authorization protocols to work without requiring user-agent support
   for them and without having to (ab)use URI query parameters.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-williams-http-accept-auth-and-redirect/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-williams-http-accept-auth-and-redirect-02
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-williams-http-accept-auth-and-redirect-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-williams-http-accept-auth-and-redirect-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/