Subject: I-D Action: draft-arends-private-use-tld-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 06:33:37 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Top-level Domains for Private Internets
        Authors         : Roy Arends
                          Ed Lewis
	Filename        : draft-arends-private-use-tld-01.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2020-05-02

Abstract:
   There are no defined private-use namespaces in the Domain Name System
   (DNS).  For a domain name to be considered private-use, it needs to
   be future-proof in that its top-level domain will never be delegated
   from the root zone.  The lack of a private-use namespace has led to
   locally configured namespaces with a top-level domain that is not
   future proof.

   The DNS needs an equivalent of the facilities provided by BCP 5 (RFC
   1918) for private internets, i.e. a range of short, semantic-free
   top-level domains that can be used in private internets without the
   risk of being globally delegated from the root zone.

   The ISO 3166 standard is used for the definition of eligible
   designations for country-code top-level Domains.  This standard is
   maintained by the ISO 3166 Maintenance Agency.  The ISO 3166 standard
   includes a set of user-assigned code elements that can be used by
   those who need to add further names to their local applications.

   Because of the rules set out by ISO in their standard, it is
   extremely unlikely that these user-assigned code elements would ever
   conflict with delegations in the root zone under current practices.
   This document explicitly reserves these code elements to be safely
   used as top-level domains for private DNS resolution.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-arends-private-use-tld/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-arends-private-use-tld-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-arends-private-use-tld-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-arends-private-use-tld-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/