Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dhc-slap-quadrant-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 01:08:41 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Dynamic Host Configuration WG of the IETF.

        Title           : SLAP quadrant selection options for DHCPv6
        Authors         : Carlos J. Bernardos
                          Alain Mourad
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dhc-slap-quadrant-08.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2020-05-13

Abstract:
   The IEEE originally structured the 48-bit MAC address space in such a
   way that half of it was reserved for local use.  Recently, the IEEE
   has been working on a new specification (IEEE 802c) which defines a
   new optional "Structured Local Address Plan" (SLAP) that specifies
   different assignment approaches in four specified regions of the
   local MAC address space.

   The IEEE is working on mechanisms to allocate addresses in the one of
   these quadrants (IEEE 802.1CQ).  There is work also in the IETF on
   specifying a new mechanism that extends DHCPv6 operation to handle
   the local MAC address assignments.  We complement this work by
   defining a mechanism to allow choosing the SLAP quadrant to use in
   the allocation of the MAC address to the requesting device/client.

   This document proposes extensions to DHCPv6 protocols to enable a
   DHCPv6 client or a DHCPv6 relay to indicate a preferred SLAP quadrant
   to the server, so that the server allocates the MAC addresses to the
   given client out of the quadrant requested by relay or client.  A new
   DHCPv6 option (OPTION_SLAP_QUAD, or QUAD) is defined for this
   purpose.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-slap-quadrant/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dhc-slap-quadrant-08
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dhc-slap-quadrant-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dhc-slap-quadrant-08

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/