Subject: I-D Action: draft-wang-bess-evpn-cmac-overload-reduction-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 03:02:59 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Reduction of EVPN C-MAC Overload
        Author          : Yubao(Bob) Wang
	Filename        : draft-wang-bess-evpn-cmac-overload-reduction-00.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2020-05-17

Abstract:
   When there are too many customer-MACs (C-MACs), the RRs and/or ASBRs
   will be overloaded by the RT-2 routes for these MACs according to
   [I-D.dawra-bess-srv6-services].  This issue can be simply solved by
   making the remote C-MAC entries learnt via data-plane MAC learning
   (like what PBB VPLS have been done since [RFC7041]) rather than
   received from RT-2 routes.  This simplified solution will works as
   well as PBB VPLS.  But this simplified solution will lose many
   important features that based on the ESI concept.  Because the
   ingress-ESI can't be learnt via data-plane MAC learning at the egress
   PE.  So when the data packets is forwarded following these MAC
   entries, they can't benefit from the EAD/EVI routes as per RFC7432.
   So the All-Active Redundancy mode for ES can't be supported.  This
   make the simplified solution can't work as well as PBB EVPN
   ([RFC7623]).

   This document proposes a new SRv6 function type and an extension to
   [I-D.dawra-bess-srv6-services] to achieve all-active mode ES
   redundancy on TPEs and reduce the C-MAC loads for RRs and ASBRs.  The
   new solution will work even more better than PBB EVPN under the help
   of these extensions.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-wang-bess-evpn-cmac-overload-reduction/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wang-bess-evpn-cmac-overload-reduction-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-wang-bess-evpn-cmac-overload-reduction-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/