Subject: I-D Action: draft-sun-nmrg-hybrid-switching-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 03:42:56 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Resource Allocation Model for Hybrid Switching Networks
        Authors         : Weiqiang Sun
                          Junyi Shao
                          Weisheng Hu
	Filename        : draft-sun-nmrg-hybrid-switching-01.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2020-06-29

Abstract:
   The fast increase in traffic volumn within and outside Datacenters is
   placing an unprecendented challenge on the underline network, in both
   the capacity it can provide, and the way it delivers traffic.  When a
   large portion of network traffic is contributed by large flows,
   providing high capacity and slow to change optical circuit switching
   along side fine-granular packet services may potentially improve
   network utility and reduce both CAPEX and OpEX.  This gives rise to
   the concept of hybrid switching - a paradigm that seeks to make the
   best of packet and circuit switching.

   However, the full potential of hybrid switching networks (HSNs) can
   only be realized when such a network is optimally designed and
   operated, in the sense that "an appropriate amount of resource is
   used to handle an appropriate amount of traffic in both switching
   planes."  The resource allocation problem in HSNs is in fact complex
   ineractions between three components: resource allocation between the
   two switching planes, traffic partitioning between the two switching
   planes, and the overall cost or performance constraints.

   In this memo, we explore the challenges of planning and operating
   hybrid switching networks, with a particular focus on the resource
   allocation problem, and provide a high-level model that may guide
   resource allocation in future hybrid switching networks.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sun-nmrg-hybrid-switching/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sun-nmrg-hybrid-switching-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-sun-nmrg-hybrid-switching-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-sun-nmrg-hybrid-switching-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/