Subject: I-D Action: draft-irtf-cfrg-pairing-friendly-curves-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2020 20:57:36 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Crypto Forum RG of the IRTF.

        Title           : Pairing-Friendly Curves
        Authors         : Yumi Sakemi
                          Tetsutaro Kobayashi
                          Tsunekazu Saito
                          Riad S. Wahby
	Filename        : draft-irtf-cfrg-pairing-friendly-curves-05.txt
	Pages           : 52
	Date            : 2020-06-09

Abstract:
   Pairing-based cryptography, a subfield of elliptic curve
   cryptography, has received attention due to its flexible and
   practical functionality.  Pairing is a special map defined using
   elliptic curves and it can be applied to construct several
   cryptographic protocols such as identity-based encryption, attribute-
   based encryption, and so on.  At CRYPTO 2016, Kim and Barbulescu
   proposed an efficient number field sieve algorithm named exTNFS for
   the discrete logarithm problem in a finite field.  Several types of
   pairing-friendly curves such as Barreto-Naehrig curves are affected
   by the attack.  In particular, a Barreto-Naehrig curve with a 254-bit
   characteristic was adopted by a lot of cryptographic libraries as a
   parameter of 128-bit security, however, it ensures no more than the
   100-bit security level due to the effect of the attack.  In this
   memo, we list the security levels of certain pairing-friendly curves,
   and motivate our choices of curves.  First, we summarize the adoption
   status of pairing-friendly curves in standards, libraries and
   applications, and classify them in the 128-bit, 192-bit, and 256-bit
   security levels.  Then, from the viewpoints of "security" and "widely
   used", we select the recommended pairing-friendly curves considering
   exTNFS.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-cfrg-pairing-friendly-curves/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-cfrg-pairing-friendly-curves-05
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-irtf-cfrg-pairing-friendly-curves-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-irtf-cfrg-pairing-friendly-curves-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/