Subject: I-D Action: draft-irtf-cfrg-pairing-friendly-curves-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 22:03:57 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Crypto Forum RG of the IRTF.

        Title           : Pairing-Friendly Curves
        Authors         : Yumi Sakemi
                          Tetsutaro Kobayashi
                          Tsunekazu Saito
                          Riad S. Wahby
	Filename        : draft-irtf-cfrg-pairing-friendly-curves-07.txt
	Pages           : 53
	Date            : 2020-06-18

Abstract:
   Pairing-based cryptography, a subfield of elliptic curve
   cryptography, has received attention due to its flexible and
   practical functionality.  Pairings are special maps defined using
   elliptic curves and it can be applied to construct several
   cryptographic protocols such as identity-based encryption, attribute-
   based encryption, and so on.  At CRYPTO 2016, Kim and Barbulescu
   proposed an efficient number field sieve algorithm named exTNFS for
   the discrete logarithm problem in a finite field.  Several types of
   pairing-friendly curves such as Barreto-Naehrig curves are affected
   by the attack.  In particular, a Barreto-Naehrig curve with a 254-bit
   characteristic was adopted by a lot of cryptographic libraries as a
   parameter of 128-bit security, however, it ensures no more than the
   100-bit security level due to the effect of the attack.  In this
   memo, we list the security levels of certain pairing-friendly curves,
   and motivate our choices of curves.  First, we summarize the adoption
   status of pairing-friendly curves in standards, libraries and
   applications, and classify them in the 128-bit, 192-bit, and 256-bit
   security levels.  Then, from the viewpoints of "security" and "widely
   used", we select the recommended pairing-friendly curves considering
   exTNFS.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-cfrg-pairing-friendly-curves/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-cfrg-pairing-friendly-curves-07
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-irtf-cfrg-pairing-friendly-curves-07

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-irtf-cfrg-pairing-friendly-curves-07

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/