Subject: I-D Action: draft-wang-bess-evpn-context-label-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2020 09:23:51 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Context Label for MPLS EVPN
        Authors         : Yubao Wang
                          Bing Song
	Filename        : draft-wang-bess-evpn-context-label-01.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2020-06-06

Abstract:
   EVPN is designed to provide a better VPLS service than [RFC4761] and
   [RFC4762], and EVPN indeed introduced many new features which
   couldn't be achieved in those old VPLS implementions.  But EVPN
   didn't inherit all features of old VPLS, and a few issues arises for
   EVPN only.

   Some of these issues can be imputed to the MP2P nature of EVPN
   labels.  The PW label in old VPLS is a label for P2P VC, so it
   contains more context than a identifier in dataplane for it's VSI
   instance.But the EVPN label just identifies it's VSI instnace and it
   can't stand for the ingress PE in dataplane.  So the following issues
   arises with MPLS EVPN service:

   MPLS EVPN statistics can't be done per ingress PE.

   MPLS EVPN can't support hub/spoke use case which the spoke PE can
   only connect to each other by the hub PE.

   MPLS EVPN can't support AR REPLICATOR.

   MPLS EVPN can't support anycast SR-MPLS tunnel on the SPE nodes.

   This document introduces a compound label stack to take advantage of
   both P2P VC and MP2P evpn labels.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-wang-bess-evpn-context-label/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wang-bess-evpn-context-label-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-wang-bess-evpn-context-label-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-wang-bess-evpn-context-label-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/