Subject: I-D Action: draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2020 08:20:36 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Adaptive IPv4 Address Space
        Authors         : Abraham Y. Chen
                          Ramamurthy R. Ati
                          Abhay Karandikar
                          David R. Crowe
	Filename        : draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space-07.txt
	Pages           : 55
	Date            : 2020-06-02

Abstract:
   This document describes a solution to the Internet address depletion
   issue through the use of an existing Option mechanism that is part of
   the original IPv4 protocol. This proposal, named EzIP (phonetic for
   Easy IPv4), outlines the IPv4 public address pool expansion and the
   Internet system architecture enhancement considerations. EzIP may
   expand an IPv4 address by a factor of 256M without affecting the
   existing IPv4 based Internet, or the current private networks. It is
   in full conformance with the IPv4 protocol, and supports not only
   both direct and private network connectivity, but also their
   interoperability. EzIP deployments may coexist with existing Internet
   traffic and IoTs (Internet of Things) operations without perturbing
   their setups, while offering end-users the freedom to indepdently
   choose which service. EzIP may be implemented as a software or
   firmware enhancement to Internet edge routers or private network
   routing gateways, wherever needed, or simply installed as an inline
   adjunct hardware module between the two, enabling a seamless
   introduction. The 256M case detailed here establishes a complete
   spherical layer of routers for interfacing between the Internet fabic
   (core plus edge routers) and the end user premises. Incorporating
   caching proxy technology in the gateway, a fairly large geographical
   region may enjoy address expansion based on as little as one ordinary
   IPv4 public address utilizing IP packets with degenerated EzIP
   header. If IPv4 public pool allocations were reorganized, the
   assignable pool could be multiplied 512M fold or even more. Enabling
   hierarchical address architecture which facilitates both hierarchical
   and mesh routing, EzIP can provide nearly the same order of magnitude
   of address pool resources as IPv6 while streamlining the
   administrative aspects of it. The basic EzIP will immediately resolve
   local IPv4 address shortage, while being transparent to the rest of
   the Internet. Under the Dual-Stack environment, these proposed
   interim facilities will relieve the IPv4 address shortage issue,
   while affording IPv6 more time to reach maturity for providing the
   availability levels required for delivering a long-term general
   service.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space-07
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space-07

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space-07

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/