Subject: I-D Action: draft-white-linklocalnh-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 12:31:59 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Link Local Next Hop Handling for BGP
        Authors         : Russ White
                          Donald Sharp
                          Dinesh Dutt
                          Biswajit Sadhu
                          Jeff Tantsura
	Filename        : draft-white-linklocalnh-01.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2020-06-17

Abstract:
   BGP, described in [RFC4271], was originally designed to provide
   reachability between domains and between the edges of a domain.  As
   such, BGP assumes the next hop towards any reachable destination may
   not reside on the advertising speaker, but rather may either be
   through a router connected to the same subnet as the speaker, or
   through a router only reachable by traversing multiple hops through
   the network.  Because of this, BGP does not recognize the use of IPv6
   link local addresses, as described in [RFC4291], as a valid next hop
   for forwarding purposes.

   However, BGP speakers are now often deployed on point-to-point links
   in networks where multihop reachability of any kind is not assumed or
   desired (all next hops are assumed to be the speaker reachable
   through a directly connected point-to-point link).  This is common,
   for instance, in data center fabrics.  In these situations, a global
   IPv6 address is not required for the advertisement of reachability
   information; in fact, providing global IPv6 addresses in these kinds
   of networks can be detrimental to Zero Touch Provisioning (ZTP).

   This draft standardizes the operation of BGP over a point-to-point
   link using link local IPv6 addressing only.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-white-linklocalnh/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-white-linklocalnh-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-white-linklocalnh-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-white-linklocalnh-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/