Subject: I-D Action: draft-amend-tcpm-mptcp-robe-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2020 02:25:21 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Multipath TCP Extension for Robust Session Establishment
        Authors         : Markus Amend
                          Jiao Kang
	Filename        : draft-amend-tcpm-mptcp-robe-00.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2020-07-07

Abstract:
   Multipath TCP extends the plain, single-path limited, TCP towards the
   capability of multipath transmission.  This greatly improves the
   reliability and performance of TCP communication.  For backwards
   compatibility reasons the Multipath TCP was designed to setup
   successfully an initial path first, after which subsequent paths can
   be added for multipath transmission.  For that reason the Multipath
   TCP has the same limitations as the plain TCP during connection
   setup, in case the selected path is not functional.

   This document proposes a set of implementations and possible
   combinations thereof, that provide a more Robust Establishment (RobE)
   of MPTCP sessions.  It includes RobE_TIMER, RobE_SIM, RobE_eSIM and
   RobE_IPS.

   RobE_TIMER is designed to stay close to MPTCP in that standard
   functionality is used wherever possible.  Resiliency against network
   outages is achieved by modifying the SYN retransmission timer: If one
   path is defective, another path is used.

   RobE_SIM and RobE_eSIM provides the ability to simultaneously use
   multiple paths for connection setup.  They ensure connectivity if at
   least one functional path out of a bunch of paths is given and offers
   beside that the opportunity to significantly improve loading times of
   Internet services.

   RobE_IPS provides a heuristic to select properly an initial path for
   connection establishment with a remote host based on empirical data
   derived from previous connection information.

   In practice, these independent solutions can be complementary used.
   This document also presents the design and protocol procedure for
   those combinations in addition to the respective stand-alone
   solutions.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-amend-tcpm-mptcp-robe/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-amend-tcpm-mptcp-robe-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-amend-tcpm-mptcp-robe-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/