Subject: I-D Action: draft-song-ippm-ioam-ipv6-support-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2020 17:22:57 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Approaches on Supporting IOAM in IPv6
        Authors         : Haoyu Song
                          Zhenbin Li
                          Shuping Peng
                          James Guichard
	Filename        : draft-song-ippm-ioam-ipv6-support-01.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2020-07-09

Abstract:
   It has been proposed to encapsulate IOAM tracing option data fields
   in IPv6 HbH options header.  However, due to size of the trace data
   and the extension header location in the IPv6 packets, the proposal
   creates practical challenges for implementation, especially when
   other extension headers, such as routing header, also exist and
   require in-network processing.  We propose several alternative
   approaches to address this challenge, including separating the IOAM
   trace data to a different extension header, using the postcard-based
   telemetry (e.g., IOAM DEX) instead, and applying the segment IOAM
   trace export scheme, based on the network scenario and application
   requirements.  We discuss the pros and cons of each approach and hope
   to foster standard convergence and industry adoption.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-song-ippm-ioam-ipv6-support/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-song-ippm-ioam-ipv6-support-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-song-ippm-ioam-ipv6-support-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-song-ippm-ioam-ipv6-support-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/