Subject: I-D Action: draft-irtf-icnrg-icn-lte-4g-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2020 18:47:43 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Information-Centric Networking RG of the IRTF.

        Title           : Native Deployment of ICN in LTE, 4G Mobile Networks
        Authors         : Prakash Suthar
                          Milan Stolic
                          Anil Jangam
                          Dirk Trossen
                          Ravishankar Ravindran
	Filename        : draft-irtf-icnrg-icn-lte-4g-08.txt
	Pages           : 37
	Date            : 2020-07-25

Abstract:
   LTE, 4G mobile networks use IP-based transport for the control plane
   to establish the data session at the user plane for the actual data
   delivery.  In the existing architecture, IP transport used in the
   user plane is not optimized for data transport, which leads to
   inefficient data delivery.  For instance, IP unicast routing from
   server to clients is used for the delivery of multimedia content to
   User Equipment (UE), with each user receiving a separate stream.
   From a bandwidth and routing perspective, this approach is
   inefficient.  Multicast and broadcast technologies have recently
   emerged for mobile networks, but their deployments are very limited
   or at an experimental stage.  ICN is a rapidly emerging technology,
   although much of the work is focused on fixed networks.  The focus of
   this draft is on native deployment of ICN in cellular mobile networks
   by using ICN in a 3GPP protocol stack.  ICN has inherent capabilities
   for multicast, anchorless mobility, and security, while being
   optimized for data delivery using local caching at the edge.  The
   proposed approaches in this draft allow ICN to be enabled natively
   over the current LTE stack comprising PDCP/RLC/MAC/PHY, or in a dual
   stack mode (alongside IP).  This document is a product of the
   Information-Centric Networking Research Group (ICNRG).

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-icnrg-icn-lte-4g/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-icnrg-icn-lte-4g-08
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-irtf-icnrg-icn-lte-4g-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-irtf-icnrg-icn-lte-4g-08

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/