Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-12.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2020 15:16:07 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization WG of the IETF.

        Title           : ALTO Performance Cost Metrics
        Authors         : Qin Wu
                          Y. Richard Yang
                          Young Lee
                          Dhruv Dhody
                          Sabine Randriamasy
                          Luis Miguel Contreras
	Filename        : draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-12.txt
	Pages           : 32
	Date            : 2020-07-13

Abstract:
   Cost metric is a basic concept in Application-Layer Traffic
   Optimization (ALTO), and is used in basic ALTO services including
   both the cost map service and the endpoint cost service.

   Different applications may use different cost metrics, but the ALTO
   base protocol [RFC7285] defines only a single cost metric, i.e., the
   generic "routingcost" metric; see Sec. 14.2 of [RFC7285].  Hence, if
   the ALTO client of an application wants to issue a cost map or an
   endpoint cost request to determine the resource provider that offers
   better delay performance (i.e., low-delay) to a resource consumer,
   the base protocol does not define the cost metric to be used.

   This document addresses the issue by introducing network performance
   metrics, including network delay, jitter, packet loss rate, hop
   count, and bandwidth.  The ALTO server may derive and aggregate such
   performance metrics from routing protocols such as BGP-LS, OSPF-TE
   and ISIS-TE, or from end-to-end traffic management tools, and then
   expose the information to allow applications to determine "where" to
   connect based on network performance criteria.

   There are multiple sources to derive the performance metrics.  For
   example, whether the metric reported is an estimation based on
   measurements or it is a service-level agreement (SLA) can define the
   meaning of the performance metric.  Hence, an application may need
   additional contextual information beyond the metric value.  This
   document introduces an additional "cost-context" field to the ALTO
   "cost-type" field to convey such information.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-12
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-12

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-12

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/