Subject: I-D Action: draft-ayers-low-power-interop-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2020 15:31:48 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Design Considerations for Low Power Internet Protocols
        Authors         : Hudson Ayers
                          Philip Levis
	Filename        : draft-ayers-low-power-interop-01.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2020-07-13

Abstract:
   Low-power wireless networks provide IPv6 connectivity through
   6LoWPAN, a set of standards to aggressively compress IPv6 packets
   over small maximum transfer unit (MTU) links such as 802.15.4.

   The entire purpose of IP was to interconnect different networks, but
   we find that different 6LoWPAN implementations fail to reliably
   communicate with one another.  These failures are due to stacks
   implementing different subsets of the standard out of concern for
   code size.  We argue that this failure stems from 6LoWPAN's design,
   not implementation, and is due to applying traditional Internet
   protocol design principles to low-power networks.

   We propose three design principles for Internet protocols on low-
   power networks, designed to prevent similar failures in the future.
   These principles are based around the importance of providing
   flexible tradeoffs between code size and energy efficiency.  We apply
   these principles to 6LoWPAN and show that the modified protocol
   provides a wide range of implementation strategies while allowing
   implementations with different strategies to reliably communicate.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ayers-low-power-interop/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ayers-low-power-interop-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ayers-low-power-interop-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ayers-low-power-interop-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/