Subject: I-D Action: draft-moore-exclusionary-language-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 17:25:06 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Avoiding Exclusionary Language in RFCs
        Author          : Keith Moore
	Filename        : draft-moore-exclusionary-language-00.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2020-08-26

Abstract:
   It has been asserted that some language in IETF documents is
   "exclusionary" - that it offends some readers or groups of people,
   and/or discourages participation in IETF by doing so.  While there is
   some debate about exactly which language is exclusionary, at least
   some cited examples of such language can credibly have such effects.
   It is believed that most instances of such language are accidental,
   and that most document authors and editors wish to avoid use of
   language that may be offensive.  This memo therefore attempts to
   establish procedures that warn document authors and editors about
   language that may credibly having such effects, and thereby, to
   reduce both accidental and deliberate use of such language.

   At the same time, it is recognized that in some cases there an be
   strong and conflicting opinions about whether or not particular
   language is desirable or appropriate.  IETF's primary function is
   providing technical direction for the benefit of the Internet
   community, rather than social engineering.  If a document can be
   blocked or substantially delayed over disputes about the proprietary
   of language in that document, this can be disruptive to IETF's
   primary function.  This memo therefore makes recommendations to
   prevent such disputes from blocking progress on technical documents.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-moore-exclusionary-language/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-moore-exclusionary-language-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-moore-exclusionary-language-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/