Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-zone-digest-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 10:41:35 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Message Digest for DNS Zones
        Authors         : Duane Wessels
                          Piet Barber
                          Matt Weinberg
                          Warren Kumari
                          Wes Hardaker
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-zone-digest-10.txt
	Pages           : 36
	Date            : 2020-09-21

Abstract:
   This document describes a protocol and new DNS Resource Record that
   provides a cryptographic message digest over DNS zone data.  The
   ZONEMD Resource Record conveys the digest data in the zone itself.
   When a zone publisher includes a ZONEMD record, recipients can verify
   the zone contents for accuracy and completeness.  This provides
   assurance that received zone data matches published data, regardless
   of how the zone data has been transmitted and received.

   ZONEMD does not replace DNSSEC.  Whereas DNSSEC protects individual
   RRSets (DNS data with fine granularity), ZONEMD protects a zone's
   data as a whole, whether consumed by authoritative name servers,
   recursive name servers, or any other applications.

   As specified herein, ZONEMD is impractical for large, dynamic zones
   due to the time and resources required for digest calculation.
   However, The ZONEMD record is extensible so that new digest schemes
   may be added in the future to support large, dynamic zones.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-zone-digest/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-zone-digest-10
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-zone-digest-10

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-zone-digest-10

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/