Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dmarc-sender-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2020 07:44:31 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting & Conformance WG of the IETF.

        Title           : DMARC Use of the RFC5322.Sender Header Field
        Author          : Dave Crocker
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dmarc-sender-00.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2020-09-25

Abstract:
   Internet mail defines the RFC5322.From field to indicate the author
   of the message's content and the RFC5322.Sender field to indicate who
   initially handled the message.  The RFC5322.Sender field is optional,
   if it has the same information as the RFC5322.From field.  That is,
   when the RFC5322.Sender field is absent, the RFC5322.From field has
   conflated semantics, with both a handling identifier and a content
   creator identifier.  This was not a problem, until development of
   stringent protections on use of the RFC5322.From field.  It has
   prompted Mediators, such as mailing lists, to modify the RFC5322.From
   field, to circumvent mail rejection caused by those protections.

   This affects end-to-end behavior of email, between the author and the
   final recipients, because mail from the same author is not treated
   the same, depending on what path it followed.  In effect, the
   RFC5322.From field has become dominated by its role as a handling
   identifier.

   The current specification augments use of the RFC5322.From field, by
   enhancing DMARC to also use the RFC5322.Sender field.  This preserves
   the utility of RFC5322.From field while also preserving the utility
   of DMARC.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dmarc-sender/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dmarc-sender-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dmarc-sender-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/