Subject: I-D Action: draft-crocker-email-author-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2020 09:35:06 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Email Author Header Field
        Author          : Dave Crocker
	Filename        : draft-crocker-email-author-00.txt
	Pages           : 5
	Date            : 2020-09-25

Abstract:
   Internet mail defines the From: field to indicate the author of the
   message's content and the Sender: field to indicate who initially
   handled the message.  The Sender: field is optional, if it has the
   same information as the From: field.  That is, when the Sender: field
   is absent, the From: field has conflated semantics, as both a
   handling identifier and a content creator identifier.  This was not a
   problem, until development of stringent protections on use of the
   From: field.  It has prompted Mediators, such as mailing lists, to
   modify the From: field, to circumvent mail rejection caused by those
   protections.

   This affects end-to-end behavior of email, between the author and the
   final recipients, because mail from the same author is not treated
   the same, depending on what path it followed.  In effect, the From:
   field has become dominated by its role as a handling identifier.  The
   current specification augments the current use of the From: field, by
   specifying the Author: field, which identifies the original author of
   the message and is not subject to modification by Mediators.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-crocker-email-author/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-crocker-email-author-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-crocker-email-author-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/