Subject: I-D Action: draft-wang-bess-evpn-cmac-overload-reduction-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 16:55:55 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Reduction of EVPN C-MAC Overload
        Authors         : Yubao Wang
                          Ran Chen
	Filename        : draft-wang-bess-evpn-cmac-overload-reduction-02.txt
	Pages           : 29
	Date            : 2020-11-14

Abstract:
   When there are too many customer-MACs (C-MACs), the RRs and/or ASBRs
   will be overloaded by the RT-2 routes for these MACs according to
   [RFC7432].  This issue can be simply solved by making the remote
   C-MAC entries learnt via data-plane MAC learning (like what PBB VPLS
   have done since [RFC7041]) rather than received from RT-2 routes.
   This simplified solution will works as well as PBB VPLS.  But this
   simplified solution will lose many important features that based on
   the ESI concept.  Because the ingress-ESI can't be learnt via data-
   plane MAC learning at the egress PE.  So when the data packets is
   forwarded following these MAC entries, they can't benefit from the
   EAD/EVI routes as per RFC7432.  So the All-Active Redundancy mode for
   ES can't be supported.  This make the simplified solution can't work
   as well as PBB EVPN ([RFC7623]).

   This document proposes some new extensions to [RFC7432] to achieve
   all-active mode ES redundancy on TPEs and reduce the C-MAC loads for
   RRs and ASBRs at the same time.  The new solution will work even more
   better than PBB EVPN under the help of these extensions, especially
   when there is no deployment of MPLS dataplane.

   Furthermore, it naturally brings the benefits of high scalability,
   faster network convergence, and reduced operational complexity, and
   we call it light-weighted EVPNs because of these advantages.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-wang-bess-evpn-cmac-overload-reduction/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-wang-bess-evpn-cmac-overload-reduction-02.html

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-wang-bess-evpn-cmac-overload-reduction-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/