Subject: I-D Action: draft-kunze-ark-25.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 15:15:44 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : The ARK Identifier Scheme
        Authors         : John A. Kunze
                          Emmanuelle Bermès
	Filename        : draft-kunze-ark-25.txt
	Pages           : 40
	Date            : 2020-12-18

Abstract:
   The ARK (Archival Resource Key) naming scheme is designed to
   facilitate the high-quality and persistent identification of
   information objects.  A founding principle of the ARK is that
   persistence is purely a matter of service and is neither inherent in
   an object nor conferred on it by a particular naming syntax.  The
   best that an identifier can do is to lead users to the services that
   support robust reference.  The term ARK itself refers both to the
   scheme and to any single identifier that conforms to it.  An ARK has
   five components:

   [https://NMA/]ark:[/]NAAN/Name[Qualifier]

   an optional and mutable Name Mapping Authority (usually a hostname),
   the "ark:" label, the Name Assigning Authority Number (NAAN), the
   assigned Name, and an optional and possibly mutable Qualifier
   supported by the NMA.  The NAAN and Name together form the immutable
   persistent identifier for the object independent of the URL hostname.
   An ARK is a special kind of URL that connects users to three things:
   the named object, its metadata, and the provider's promise about its
   persistence.  When entered into the location field of a Web browser,
   the ARK leads the user to the named object.  That same ARK, inflected
   by appending `?info', returns a metadata record that is both human-
   and machine-readable.  The returned record contains core metadata and
   a commitment statement from the current provider.  Tools exist for
   minting, binding, and resolving ARKs.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kunze-ark/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kunze-ark-25
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-kunze-ark-25

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-kunze-ark-25

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/