Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-14.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2021 15:14:31 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization WG of the IETF.

        Title           : ALTO Performance Cost Metrics
        Authors         : Qin Wu
                          Y. Richard Yang
                          Young Lee
                          Dhruv Dhody
                          Sabine Randriamasy
                          Luis Miguel Contreras
	Filename        : draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-14.txt
	Pages           : 33
	Date            : 2021-01-13

Abstract:
   Cost metric is a basic concept in Application-Layer Traffic
   Optimization (ALTO), and different applications may use different
   cost metrics.  Since the ALTO base protocol (RFC 7285) defines only a
   single cost metric (i.e., the generic "routingcost" metric), if an
   application wants to issue a cost map or an endpoint cost request to
   determine the resource provider that offers better delay performance,
   the base protocol does not define the cost metric to be used.

   This document addresses the issue by introducing network performance
   metrics, including network delay, jitter, packet loss rate, hop
   count, and bandwidth.

   There are multiple sources (e.g., estimation based on measurements or
   service-level agreement) to derive a performance metric.  This
   document introduces an additional "cost-context" field to the ALTO
   "cost-type" field to convey the source of a performance metric.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-14
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-14

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-14

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/