Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-opsawg-mud-iot-dns-considerations-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 10:57:34 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Operations and Management Area Working Group WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Operational Considerations for use of DNS in IoT devices
        Author          : Michael Richardson
	Filename        : draft-ietf-opsawg-mud-iot-dns-considerations-00.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2021-01-26

Abstract:
   This document details concerns about how Internet of Things devices
   use IP addresses and DNS names.  The issue becomes acute as network
   operators begin deploying RFC8520 Manufacturer Usage Description
   (MUD) definitions to control device access.

   This document explains the problem through a series of examples of
   what can go wrong, and then provides some advice on how a device
   manufacturer can best make deal with these issues.  The
   recommendations have an impact upon device and network protocol
   design.

   {RFC-EDITOR, please remove.  Markdown and issue tracker for this
   document is at https://github.com/mcr/iot-mud-dns-considerations.git
   }

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-mud-iot-dns-considerations/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-opsawg-mud-iot-dns-considerations-00.html

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/