Subject: I-D Action: draft-li-6man-hbh-fwd-hdr-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2021 02:12:58 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Hop-by-Hop Forwarding Options Header
        Authors         : Zhenbin Li
                          Shuping Peng
                          Gyan Mishra
	Filename        : draft-li-6man-hbh-fwd-hdr-01.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2021-02-19

Abstract:
   RFC8200 specifies the HBH header that is assumed to be processed by
   each hop in the delivery path of the packet.  However, RFC8200 also
   expects that nodes processing the HBH header have been explicitly
   configured to do so.  Therefore, it cannot be assumed that a HBH
   header present in the packet is processed.  It all depends on the
   configuration of each node across the path.  Moreover, in most of
   networks today, the processing of the HBH header is done in the
   control plane (slow processing path) which incurs several limitations
   among which resources consumption and security risk.

   For these reasons, over time, the Hop-by-Hop Options header has been
   sparsely used without any form of large scale deployment.  Also, most
   of already defined HBH options are forwarding options which contain
   forwarding plane information that needs not to be sent to the control
   plane.

   This document proposes a new Hop-by-Hop Forwarding Options Header in
   order to carry Hop-by-Hop options that are solely intended to and
   processed by the forwarding plane.  This new HBH header is confined
   in and dedicated to the forwarding plane while the current HBH header
   can still be used for control plane options.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-li-6man-hbh-fwd-hdr/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-li-6man-hbh-fwd-hdr-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-li-6man-hbh-fwd-hdr-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-li-6man-hbh-fwd-hdr-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/