Subject: I-D Action: draft-jabley-dnsop-refer-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 07:52:37 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : REFER: A New Referral Mechanism for the DNS
        Author          : Joe Abley
	Filename        : draft-jabley-dnsop-refer-00.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2021-02-12

Abstract:
   The Domain Name System (DNS) incorporates a namespace that is
   comprised, in practice, of multiple so-called zones.  Each zone is,
   in principal, a finite tree structure which can be administered
   autonomously, and is connected to exactly one parent zone and zero or
   more child zones.  These connection points are known as zone cuts; a
   parent zone contains information that allows the servers responsible
   for the child zone to be found.

   The current DNS specification encodes that information about child
   zones using an "NS" resource record set in the parent zone, and a
   corresponding "NS" resource record set in the child zone.  These two
   resource record sets have identical owner names, class, and resource
   record type but can differ in other respects such as the time-to-live
   (TTL) attribute, the resource record data associated with each set
   and the availability of cryptographic signatures.  This property of
   being similar, related but potentially different has led to
   operational complexity.

   This document proposes a change to how zone cuts are encoded in the
   parent zone, allowing the resource records in the parent and the
   child zone to be more clearly distinguished and protected separately
   using cryptographic signatures.

   It is not at all clear that this is a good idea.  To restate in
   stronger terms, the goal of the experiment described in this document
   is to determine just how bad an idea this is.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-jabley-dnsop-refer/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jabley-dnsop-refer-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-jabley-dnsop-refer-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/