Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dprive-opportunistic-adotq-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 13:27:01 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the DNS PRIVate Exchange WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Recursive to Authoritative DNS with Encryption
        Authors         : Paul Hoffman
                          Peter van Dijk
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dprive-opportunistic-adotq-01.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2021-02-22

Abstract:
   This document describes a use case and a method for a DNS recursive
   resolver to use either opportunistic encryption (that is, encryption
   with optional authentication) or fully-authenticated encryption when
   communicating with authoritative servers.  The motivating use case
   for this method is that more encryption on the Internet is better,
   some resolver operators will only want to offer fully-authenticated
   encryption when encryption is available, and some resolver operators
   believe that opportunistic encryption is better than no encryption at
   all.  The method described here is optional for both the recursive
   resolver and the authoritative server.  This method supports both
   fully-authenticate encryption and opportunistic encryption using the
   same mechanism for discovery of encryption support and discovery of
   authenticated public keys for the server.

   IMPORTANT NOTE: This version of the document is completely different
   than the earlier version.  It now covers both opportunistic and
   fully-authenticated encryption.  It is in a very rough state, and
   there are many holes in the description.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dprive-opportunistic-adotq/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dprive-opportunistic-adotq-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dprive-opportunistic-adotq-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dprive-opportunistic-adotq-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/