Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-avoid-fragmentation-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 01:18:25 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Fragmentation Avoidance in DNS
        Authors         : Kazunori Fujiwara
                          Paul Vixie
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-avoid-fragmentation-04.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2021-02-22

Abstract:
   EDNS0 enables a DNS server to send large responses using UDP and is
   widely deployed.  Path MTU discovery remains widely undeployed due to
   security issues, and IP fragmentation has exposed weaknesses in
   application protocols.  Currently, DNS is known to be the largest
   user of IP fragmentation.  It is possible to avoid IP fragmentation
   in DNS by limiting response size where possible, and signaling the
   need to upgrade from UDP to TCP transport where necessary.  This
   document proposes to avoid IP fragmentation in DNS.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-avoid-fragmentation/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-avoid-fragmentation-04
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-avoid-fragmentation-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-avoid-fragmentation-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/