Subject: I-D Action: draft-king-irtf-challenges-in-routing-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 12:55:29 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Challenges for the Internet Routing Infrastructure Introduced by Changes in Address Semantics
        Authors         : Daniel King
                          Joanna Dang
                          Adrian Farrel
	Filename        : draft-king-irtf-challenges-in-routing-01.txt
	Pages           : 39
	Date            : 2021-02-22

Abstract:
   Historically, the meaning of an IP address has been to identify an
   interface on a network device.  Routing protocols have been developed
   based on the assumption that a destination address has this semantic.

   Many proposals have been made to add semantics to IP addresses.
   These proposals may set the meaning of an address within the scope of
   a limited domain, or suggest an address semantic that is meaningful
   at specific points in the network (such as the source and
   destination), and ideally can continue to be used without special
   interpretation at transit points.

   This document presents a brief survey of technologies related to IP
   address semantic proposals and describes the challenges to the
   existing routing system that they present.  It then summarizes the
   opportunities for research into new or modified routing protocols to
   make use of new address semantics.  It does not pass comment on the
   advisability or practicality of any of the solutions.

   This document is presented as study to support further research into
   clarifying and understanding the issues without directly proposing
   technical solutions that are ready for productization, deployment, or
   standardization.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-king-irtf-challenges-in-routing/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-king-irtf-challenges-in-routing-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-king-irtf-challenges-in-routing-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-king-irtf-challenges-in-routing-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/