Subject: I-D Action: draft-gouaillard-avtcore-codec-agn-rtp-payload-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2021 21:41:52 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Codec agnostic RTP payload format for video
        Authors         : Sergio Garcia Murillo
                          Alexandre Gouaillard
	Filename        : draft-gouaillard-avtcore-codec-agn-rtp-payload-00.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2021-02-19

Abstract:
   RTP Media Chains usually rely on piping encoder output directly to
   packetizers.  Media packetization formats often support a specific
   codec format and optimize RTP packets generation accordingly.

   With the development of Selective Forward Unit (SFU) solutions, that
   do not process media content server side, the need for media content
   processing at the origin and at the destination has arised.

   RTP Media Chains used e.g. in WebRTC solutions are increasingly
   relying on application-specific transforms that sit in-between
   encoder and packetizer on one end and in-between depacketizer and
   decoder on the other end.  This use case has become so important,
   that the W3C is standardizing the capacity to access encoded content
   with the [WebRTCInsertableStreams] API proposal.  An extremely
   popular use case is application level end-to-end encryption of media
   content, using for instance [SFrame].

   Whatever the modification applied to the media content, RTP
   packetizers can no longer expect to use packetization formats that
   mandate media content to be in a specific codec format.

   In the extreme cases like encryption, where the RTP Payload is made
   completely opaque to the SFUs, some extra mechanism must also be
   added for them to be able to route the packets without depending on
   RTP payload or payload headers.

   The traditionnal process of creating a new RTP Payload specification
   per content would not be practical as we would need to make a new one
   for each codec-transform pair.

   This document describes a solution, which provides the following
   features in the case the encoded content has been modified before
   reaching the packetizer: - a paylaod agnostic RTP packetization
   format that can be used on any media content, - a signalling
   mechanism for the above format and the inner payload, Both of the
   above mechanism are backward compatible with most of (S)RTP/RTCP
   mechanisms used for bandwidth estimation and congestion control in

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gouaillard-avtcore-codec-agn-rtp-payload/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gouaillard-avtcore-codec-agn-rtp-payload-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-gouaillard-avtcore-codec-agn-rtp-payload-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/