Subject: I-D Action: draft-jones-tsvwg-transport-for-satellite-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 09:11:46 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Enhancing Transport Protocols over Satellite Networks
        Authors         : Tom Jones
                          Godred Fairhurst
                          Nicolas Kuhn
                          John Border
                          Emile Stephan
	Filename        : draft-jones-tsvwg-transport-for-satellite-00.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2021-02-22

Abstract:
   IETF transport protocols such as TCP, SCTP and QUIC are designed to
   function correctly over any network path.  This includes networks
   paths that utilise a satellite link or network.  While transport
   protocols function, the characteristics of satellite networks can
   impact performance when using the defaults in standard mechanisms,
   due to the specific characteristics of these paths.

   RFC 2488 and RFC 3135 describe mechanisms that enable TCP to more
   effectively utilize the available capacity of a network path that
   includes a satellite system.  Since publication, both application and
   transport layers and satellite systems have evolved.  Indeed, the
   development of encrypted protocols such as QUIC challenges currently
   deployed solutions, for satellite systems the capacity has increased
   and commercial systems are now available that use a range of
   satellite orbital positions.

   This document describes the current characterises of common satellite
   paths and describes considerations when implementing and deploying
   reliable transport protocols that are intended to work efficiently
   over paths that include a satellite system.  It discusses available
   network mitigations and offers advice to designers of protocols and
   operators of satellite networks.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-jones-tsvwg-transport-for-satellite/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-jones-tsvwg-transport-for-satellite-00.html

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/