Subject: I-D Action: draft-king-irtf-challenges-in-routing-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 14:10:40 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Challenges for the Internet Routing Infrastructure Introduced by Changes in Address Semantics
        Authors         : Daniel King
                          Joanna Dang
                          Adrian Farrel
	Filename        : draft-king-irtf-challenges-in-routing-00.txt
	Pages           : 26
	Date            : 2021-02-11

Abstract:
   Historically, the meaning of an IP address has been to identify an
   interface on a network device.  Routing protocols have been developed
   based on the assumption that a destination address has this semantic.

   Many proposals have been made to add semantics to IPv6 addresses.
   These proposals may set the meaning of an address within the scope of
   a limited domain, or suggest an address semantic that is meaningful
   at specific points in the network (such as the source and
   destination), but which can continue to be used without special
   interpretation at transit points.  Such proposals include providing
   semantics specific to mobile networks, multicast traffic, different
   device types, different underlying connectivity, hierarchical
   connectivity, geographic location, application or network function
   usage, or connectivity requirements.

   Some new IP address semantics may have implications for how network
   routing is performed.  Some proposals might not be supported by
   existing routing protocols and so would require changes.  Other
   proposals might enable advanced routing features or offer benefits in
   scaling and management of routing systems.

   This document presents a brief survey of technologies related to IP
   address semantic proposals and describes the challenges to the
   existing routing system that they present.  It then summarises the
   opportunities for research into new or modified routing protocols to
   make use of new address semantics.

   This document is presented as research to clarify and understand the
   issues without directly proposing technical solutions that are ready
   for productisation or deployment.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-king-irtf-challenges-in-routing/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-king-irtf-challenges-in-routing-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-king-irtf-challenges-in-routing-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/