Subject: I-D Action: draft-khare-idr-bgp-flowspec-payload-match-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2021 20:25:12 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : BGP FlowSpec Payload Matching
        Authors         : Anurag Khare
                          Philippe Bergeon
                          Vijay Kestur
                          Luay Jalil
                          Kirill Kasavchenko
	Filename        : draft-khare-idr-bgp-flowspec-payload-match-08.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2021-03-07

Abstract:
   The rise in frequency, volume, and pernicious effects of DDoS attacks
   has elevated them from fare for the specialist to generalist press.
   Numerous reports detail the taxonomy of DDoS attacks, the varying
   motivations of their attackers, as well as the resulting impact for
   their targets ranging from internet or business services to network
   infrastrutures.

   BGP FlowSpec (RFC 5575, "Dissemination of Flow Specification Rules")
   can be used to rapidly disseminate filtering rules to mitigate
   (distributed) denial-of-service (DoS) attacks.  Operators can use
   existing FlowSpec components to match typical n-tuple criteria in
   pre-defined packet header fields such as IP protocol, IP prefix or
   port number.  Recent enhancements to IP Router forwarding plane
   filter implementations also allow matches at arbitrary locations
   within the packet header or payload.  This capability can be used to
   essentially match a signature for the attack traffic and can be
   combined with traditional n-tuple filter criteria to mitigate
   volumetric DDoS attacks and reduce false positive to a minimum.

   To support this new filtering capability we define a new FlowSpec
   component, "Flexible Match Conditions", with similar matching
   semantics to those of existing components.  This component will allow
   the operator to define a new match condition using a combination of
   offset and pattern values.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-khare-idr-bgp-flowspec-payload-match/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-khare-idr-bgp-flowspec-payload-match-08
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-khare-idr-bgp-flowspec-payload-match-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-khare-idr-bgp-flowspec-payload-match-08

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/