Subject: I-D Action: draft-mishra-6man-variable-slaac-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2021 09:42:07 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : SLAAC with prefixes of arbitrary length in PIO (Variable SLAAC)
        Authors         : Gyan Mishra
                          Alexandre Petrescu
                          Naveen Kottapalli
                          Dusan Mudric
                          Dmytro Shytyi
	Filename        : draft-mishra-6man-variable-slaac-03.txt
	Pages           : 31
	Date            : 2021-03-07

Abstract:
   This draft proposes the use of arbitrary length prefixes in PIO for
   SLAAC.  A prefix of length 63 in PIO, for example, would be permitted
   to form an address whose interface identifier length is 65, which
   allows several benefits.  A prefix of length 65 would be allowed too,
   but it SHOULD NOT be used on a large scale, like at a large ISP; this
   is to avoid a race to the bottom.

   The implementation uses a parameter in the Host which is off by
   default.  In that case, the Host respects the 64bit boundary.  When
   the parameter is set to on the Host accepts prefixes of lengths
   different than 64 and forms 128bit addresses.

   In the past, various IPv6 addressing models have been proposed based
   on a subnet hierarchy embedding a 64-bit prefix.  The last remnant of
   IPv6 classful addressing is a inflexible interface identifier
   boundary at /64.  This document proposes flexibility to the fixed
   position of that boundary for interface addressing.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mishra-6man-variable-slaac/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mishra-6man-variable-slaac-03
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-mishra-6man-variable-slaac-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-mishra-6man-variable-slaac-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/