Subject: I-D Action: draft-fairhurst-quic-ack-scaling-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 05:27:10 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Changing the Default QUIC ACK Policy
        Authors         : Godred Fairhurst
                          Ana Custura
                          Tom Jones
	Filename        : draft-fairhurst-quic-ack-scaling-04.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2021-03-15

Abstract:
   Acknowledgement packets (ACKs) are used by transport protocols to
   confirm the delivery of packets, and their reception is used in a
   variety of other ways (to measure path round trip time, to gauge path
   congestion, etc).  However, the transmission of ACKs also consumes
   resources at the receiver, forwarding resource in the network and
   processing resources at the sender.

   On network paths with significant path asymmetry, transmission of
   ACKs can limit the available throughput or can reduce the efficient
   use of network capacity.  This occurs when the return capacity is
   significantly more constrained than the forward capacity, and/or the
   cost of transmission per packet is a significant component of the
   total transmission cost.  In these cases, reducing the ratio of ACK
   packets to data packets can improve link utilisation and reduce link
   transmission costs.  It can also reduce processing overhead at the
   sender and receiver.

   This document proposes a change to the default acknowledgement policy
   of the QUIC transport protocol to improve performance over paths with
   appreciable asymmetry.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-fairhurst-quic-ack-scaling/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-fairhurst-quic-ack-scaling-04
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-fairhurst-quic-ack-scaling-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-fairhurst-quic-ack-scaling-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/