Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-spring-nsh-sr-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 04:22:18 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Source Packet Routing in Networking WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Integration of Network Service Header (NSH) and Segment Routing for Service Function Chaining (SFC)
        Authors         : James N Guichard
                          Jeff Tantsura
	Filename        : draft-ietf-spring-nsh-sr-08.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2021-06-29

Abstract:
   This document describes the integration of Network Service Header
   (NSH) and Segment Routing (SR), as well as encapsulation details, to
   support Service Function Chaining (SFC) in an efficient manner while
   maintaining separation of the service and transport planes as
   originally intended by the SFC architecture.

   Combining these technologies allows SR to be used for steering
   packets between Service Function Forwarders (SFF) along a given
   Service Function Path (SFP) while NSH has the responsibility for
   maintaining the integrity of the service plane, the SFC instance
   context, and any associated metadata.

   This integration demonstrates that NSH and SR can work cooperatively
   and provide the network operator with the flexibility to use
   whichever transport technology makes sense in specific areas of their
   network infrastructure while still maintaining an end-to-end service
   plane using NSH.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-spring-nsh-sr/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-spring-nsh-sr-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-spring-nsh-sr-08

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/