Subject: I-D Action: draft-liu-apn-edge-usecase-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 20:41:24 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Use cases of Application-aware Networking (APN) in Edge Computing
        Authors         : Peng Liu
                          Zongpeng Du
                          Shuping Peng
                          Zhenbin Li
	Filename        : draft-liu-apn-edge-usecase-03.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2021-06-01

Abstract:
   The ever-emerging new services are imposing more and more highly
   demanding requirements on the network.  However, the current
   deployments could not fully accommodate those requirements due to
   limited capabilities.  For example, it is difficult to utilize the
   traditional centralized deployment mode to meet the low-latency
   demand of some latency-sensitive applications.  Moreover, the total
   amount of centralized service data is growing exponentially, which
   brings great pressure on the network bandwidth.  There has been a
   clear trend that decentralized sites comprising of computing and
   storage resources are deployed at various locations to provide
   services.  In particular, when the sites are deployed at the network
   edge, i.e. the Edge Computing, it can better handle the business
   needs of the users nearby, which provides the possibilities to
   provide differentiated network and computing services.  In order to
   achieve the full benefits of the edge computing, it actually implies
   a precondition that the network should be aware of the applications'
   requirements in order to steer their traffic to the network paths
   that can satisfy their requirements.  Application-aware networking
   (APN) aims to accommodate the edge services' needs, fully releasing
   the benefits of the edge computing.

   This document describes the various application scenarios in edge
   computing to which the APN can be beneficial, including augmented
   reality, cloud gaming and remote control, which empowers the video
   business, users interaction business and user-device interaction
   business.  In those scenarios, APN can identify the specific
   requirements of edge computing applications on the network, process
   close to the users, provide SLA guaranteed network services such as
   low latency and high reliability.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-liu-apn-edge-usecase/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-liu-apn-edge-usecase-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-liu-apn-edge-usecase-03

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/