Subject: I-D Action: draft-kaliraj-idr-bgp-classful-transport-planes-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 01:57:26 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : BGP Classful Transport Planes
        Authors         : Kaliraj Vairavakkalai
                          Natrajan Venkataraman
                          Balaji Rajagopalan
                          Gyan Mishra
                          Mazen Khaddam
                          Xiaohu Xu
                          Rafal Jan Szarecki
	Filename        : draft-kaliraj-idr-bgp-classful-transport-planes-08.txt
	Pages           : 30
	Date            : 2021-06-11

Abstract:
   This document specifies a mechanism, referred to as "service
   mapping", to express association of overlay routes with underlay
   routes satisfying a certain SLA, using BGP.  The document describes a
   framework for classifying underlay routes into transport classes, and
   mapping service routes to specific transport class.

   The "Transport class" construct maps to a desired SLA, and can be
   used to realize the "Topology Slice" in 5G Network slicing
   architecture.

   This document specifies BGP protocol procedures that enable
   dissimination of such service mapping information that may span
   multiple co-operating administrative domains.  These domains may be
   administetered by the same provider or closely co-ordinating provider
   networks.

   It makes it possible to advertise multiple tunnels to the same
   destination address, thus avoiding need of multiple loopbacks on the
   egress node.

   A new BGP transport layer address family (SAFI 76) is defined for
   this purpose that uses RFC-4364 technology and follows RFC-8277 NLRI
   encoding.  This new address family is called "BGP Classful
   Transport", aka BGP CT.

   It carries transport prefixes across tunnel domain boundaries (e.g.
   in Inter-AS Option-C networks), parallel to BGP LU (SAFI 4) . It
   dissiminates "Transport class" information for the transport prefixes
   across the participating domains, which is not possible with BGP LU.
   This makes the end-to-end network a "Transport Class" aware tunneled
   network.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kaliraj-idr-bgp-classful-transport-planes/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-kaliraj-idr-bgp-classful-transport-planes-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-kaliraj-idr-bgp-classful-transport-planes-08

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/