Subject: I-D Action: draft-king-irtf-challenges-in-routing-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 12:47:36 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Challenges for the Internet Routing Infrastructure Introduced by Changes in Address Semantics
        Authors         : Daniel King
                          Adrian Farrel
	Filename        : draft-king-irtf-challenges-in-routing-03.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2021-06-14

Abstract:
   Historically, the meaning of an IP address has been to identify an
   interface on a network device.  Routing protocols were developed
   based on the assumption that a destination address had this semantic.

   Over time, routing decisions were enhanced to route packets according
   to additional information carried within the packets and dependent on
   policy coded in, configured at, or signaled to the routers.

   Many proposals have been made to add semantics to IP addresses.  The
   intent is usually to facilitate routing decisions based solely on the
   address and without the need to find and process information carried
   in other fields within the packets.

   This document describes the challenges to the existing routing system
   that are introduced by the addition of semantics to IP addresses.  It
   then summarizes the opportunities for research into new or modified
   routing protocols to make use of new address semantics.

   This document is presented as study to support further research into
   clarifying and understanding the issues.  It does not pass comment on
   the advisability or practicality of any of the proposals and does not
   define any technical solutions.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-king-irtf-challenges-in-routing/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-king-irtf-challenges-in-routing-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-king-irtf-challenges-in-routing-03

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/