Subject: I-D Action: draft-boucadair-dnsop-prefix64-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 23:43:13 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : An EDNS0 Option for Sharing Pref64::/n
        Author          : Mohamed Boucadair
	Filename        : draft-boucadair-dnsop-prefix64-01.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2021-06-23

Abstract:
   This document specifies an Extension Mechanisms for DNS (EDNS0)
   option to convey the IPv6 prefix used to build IPv4-converted IPv6
   addresses.  When conveyed in a DNS query, the option communicates the
   IPv6 prefix used in the network from which the query was originated.
   Such a network is assumed to enable a Network Address and Protocol
   Translation from IPv6 clients to IPv4 servers (NAT64) function.
   DNS64-capable servers will use that prefix to build synthesized AAAA
   records, rather than relying on a preconfigured prefix.  When
   conveyed in a DNS reply, the option conveys the IPv6 prefix that is
   used by a DNS64-capable server to synthesized AAAA records.  Such
   information helps to automatically detect mismatches between the
   local NAT64 configuration and the one enforced at the DNS64 server.
   Also, security-aware and validating hosts may use the new EDNS0
   option to signal the presence of a NAT64 function.  That signal is
   used by the DNS server to fill the additional section of the AAAA
   reply in order to supply A RRs of the target.  Dual queries and
   delays are thus avoided.

   This document updates RFC 6147.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-boucadair-dnsop-prefix64/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-boucadair-dnsop-prefix64-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-boucadair-dnsop-prefix64-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/