Subject: I-D Action: draft-jaufeerally-bgp-lg-cap-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 12:08:32 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : An in-band BGP mechanism for looking-glass address discovery
        Author          : Rayhaan Jaufeerally
	Filename        : draft-jaufeerally-bgp-lg-cap-01.txt
	Pages           : 6
	Date            : 2021-07-25

Abstract:
   Autonomous Systems (ASes) that peer with one another using the Border
   Gateway Protocol (BGP) RFC 4271 [RFC4271] do not have an automated
   way to tell if the prefixes announced over a particular peering link
   are acceped by the peer.  One way in which an AS operator can verify
   acceptance of routes by a peer is using a looking glass which may be
   provided by the peer, however this introduces manual toil in the
   operation and turnup of peering links, and does not allow for
   continued validation to ensure there are no regressions.  Looking
   glasses are often manually found by browsing the website of the peer
   or via a database of peering participants.

   This document proposes a new in-band mechanism for transmitting
   administrative data between BGP peers, and defines one such use case
   for propagating looking glass addresses.  This is done via a new
   Address Family Identifier (AFI) which carries a message that we
   define here, inside the Multi Protocol (MP_REACH and MP_UNREACH) path
   attribute

   The looking glass that we expose via the proposed mechanism conforms
   to that defined in RFC 8522 [RFC8522].

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-jaufeerally-bgp-lg-cap/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-jaufeerally-bgp-lg-cap-01.html

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-jaufeerally-bgp-lg-cap-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/