Subject: I-D Action: draft-lazanski-protocol-sec-design-model-t-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2021 03:56:35 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Security Considerations for Protocol Designers
        Author          : Dominique Lazanski
	Filename        : draft-lazanski-protocol-sec-design-model-t-03.txt
	Pages           : 28
	Date            : 2021-07-05

Abstract:
   This document is a non-exhaustive set of considerations for protocol
   designers and implementers with regards to attack defence. This
   document follows on from the way forward outlined in draft-lazanski-
   users-threat-model-t-03. These considerations both supplement and
   support the work on threat models. They can be used as an aid to
   analyse protocol design choice and in turn to help combat threats
   and defend users of these protocols and systems against malicious
   attacks.

   First, we list well-known classes of attacks that pose threats, with
   relevant case studies and descriptions. Next, we give a list of
   defence measures against these attacks to be considered when
   designing and deploying protocols. Naturally, deployments of
   protocols vary greatly between use cases; therefore, some attacks
   and defensive measures outlined may require more consideration than
   others, dependent on use case.

   This RFC can be used by protocol designers to write the Security
   Considerations section in an RFC. The impact on attack defence of a
   protocol should be considered in multiple use cases across the
   multiple layers of the internet. Defence against malicious attacks
   can be improved and it can be weakened by design features of
   protocols. Designers should acknowledge the role of protocols in
   attack prevention, detection and mitigation; this document aims to
   be a useful guide in doing so.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-lazanski-protocol-sec-design-model-t/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-lazanski-protocol-sec-design-model-t-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-lazanski-protocol-sec-design-model-t-03

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/