Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-tsvwg-l4s-arch-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 05:21:07 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Low Latency, Low Loss, Scalable Throughput (L4S) Internet Service: Architecture
        Authors         : Bob Briscoe
                          Koen De Schepper
                          Marcelo Bagnulo
                          Greg White
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-l4s-arch-10.txt
	Pages           : 42
	Date            : 2021-07-01

Abstract:
   This document describes the L4S architecture, which enables Internet
   applications to achieve Low queuing Latency, Low Loss, and Scalable
   throughput (L4S).  The insight on which L4S is based is that the root
   cause of queuing delay is in the congestion controllers of senders,
   not in the queue itself.  The L4S architecture is intended to enable
   _all_ Internet applications to transition away from congestion
   control algorithms that cause queuing delay, to a new class of
   congestion controls that induce very little queuing, aided by
   explicit congestion signaling from the network.  This new class of
   congestion control can provide low latency for capacity-seeking
   flows, so applications can achieve both high bandwidth and low
   latency.

   The architecture primarily concerns incremental deployment.  It
   defines mechanisms that allow the new class of L4S congestion
   controls to coexist with 'Classic' congestion controls in a shared
   network.  These mechanisms aim to ensure that the latency and
   throughput performance using an L4S-compliant congestion controller
   is usually much better (and never worse) than the performance would
   have been using a 'Classic' congestion controller, and that competing
   flows continuing to use 'Classic' controllers are typically not
   impacted by the presence of L4S.  These characteristics are important
   to encourage adoption of L4S congestion control algorithms and L4S
   compliant network elements.

   The L4S architecture consists of three components: network support to
   isolate L4S traffic from classic traffic; protocol features that
   allow network elements to identify L4S traffic; and host support for
   L4S congestion controls.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-l4s-arch/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-l4s-arch-10

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tsvwg-l4s-arch-10

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/