Subject: I-D Action: draft-huang-alto-mowie-for-network-aware-app-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 09:42:28 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : MoWIE for Network Aware Application
        Authors         : Chunshan Xiong
                          Yunfei Zhang
                          Y. Richard Yang
                          Gang Li
                          Yixue Lei
                          Yunbo Han
	Filename        : draft-huang-alto-mowie-for-network-aware-app-03.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2021-07-12

Abstract:
   With the quick deployment of 5G networks in the world, cloud based
   interactive services such as clouding gaming have gained substantial
   attention and are regarded as potential killer applications.  To
   ensure users' quality of experience (QoE), a cloud interactive
   service may require not only high bandwidth (e.g., high-resolution
   media transmission) but also low delay (e.g., low latency and low
   lagging).  However, the bandwidth and delay experienced by a mobile
   and wireless user can be dynamic, as a function of many factors, and
   unhandled changes can substantially compromise users' QoE.  In this
   document, we investigate network-aware applications (NAA), which
   realize cloud based interactive services with improved QoE, by
   efficient utilization of Mobile and Wireless Information Exposure
   (MoWIE) . In particular, this document demonstrates, through
   realistic evaluations, that mobile network information such as MCS
   (Modulation and Coding Scheme) can effectively expose the dynamicity
   of the underlying network and can be made available to applications
   through MoWIE; using such information, the applications can then
   adapt key control knobs such as media codec scheme, encapsulation and
   application logical function to minimize QoE deduction.  Based on the
   evaluations, we discuss how MoWIE can be a systematic extension of
   the ALTO protocol, to expose more lower-layer and finer grain network
   dynamics.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-huang-alto-mowie-for-network-aware-app/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-huang-alto-mowie-for-network-aware-app-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-huang-alto-mowie-for-network-aware-app-03

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/