Subject: I-D Action: draft-mattsson-dispatch-sdes-dont-dont-dont-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 04:56:45 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : SDP Security Descriptions is NOT RECOMMENDED and Historic
        Authors         : John Preuß Mattsson
                          Magnus Westerlund
	Filename        : draft-mattsson-dispatch-sdes-dont-dont-dont-00.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2021-07-12

Abstract:
   Key exchange without forward secrecy enables pervasive monitoring.
   Massive pervasive monitoring attacks relying on key exchange without
   forward secrecy have been reported, and many more have likely
   happened without ever being reported.  If key exchange without
   Diffie-Hellman is used, access to long-term keys enable passive
   attackers to compromise past and future sessions.  Entities can get
   access to long-term key material in different ways: physical attacks,
   hacking, social engineering attacks, espionage, or by simply
   demanding access to keying material with or without a court order.
   Session Description Protocol (SDP) Security Descriptions (RFC 4568)
   does not offer PFS and has a large number of additional significant
   security weaknesses.  This document specifies that use of the SDP
   Security Descriptions is NOT RECOMMENDED.  New deployments SHOULD
   forbid support of SDP Security Descriptions.

   This document reclassifies RFC 4568 (SDP Security Descriptions) to
   Historic Status and also obsoletes RFC 4568.

   This document updates RFC 7201 (Options for Securing RTP Sessions) to
   note that SDP Security Descriptions SHOULD NOT be used.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mattsson-dispatch-sdes-dont-dont-dont/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-mattsson-dispatch-sdes-dont-dont-dont-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/