Subject: I-D Action: draft-xiao-v6ops-nd-deployment-guidelines-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 10:50:13 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Isolating Hosts in Layer-2 and Layer-3 to Simplify ND and IPv6 First-Hop Deployments
        Authors         : XiPeng Xiao
                          Eduard Metz
                          Gyan Mishra
	Filename        : draft-xiao-v6ops-nd-deployment-guidelines-00.txt
	Pages           : 22
	Date            : 2021-07-12

Abstract:
   Neighbor Discovery (ND) is an integral part of IPv6 first-hop. Due
   to limitation of certain L2 media's support to ND, a number of
   issues can happen in certain scenarios. The corresponding solutions
   for these issues have also been designed. These issues and solutions
   are summarized in RFC3756, RFC6583, OPSECv27.  However, there is no
   guideline on how to avoid the issues or how to select the proper
   solutions.

   This document analyzes existing solutions and summarizes the wisdoms
   embedded in these solutions into an insight: isolating hosts in L2
   and L3 can be effective in preventing ND issues. In deployment
   scenarios where the ND issues can occur, this prevention approach
   can be more effective than deploying various solutions to solve the
   issues. Based on this insight, a set of guidelines is proposed for
   future ND deployments. These guidelines describe where and when to
   isolate hosts in L2 and L3 to prevent ND issues, and how to select
   suitable solutions for the remaining issues. This will likely
   simplify ND deployments. The impact of the guidelines to other
   components of IPv6 first-hop is also analyzed and appears small.
   Therefore, the guidelines will likely simplify the overall IPv6
   first-hop deployments.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-xiao-v6ops-nd-deployment-guidelines/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-xiao-v6ops-nd-deployment-guidelines-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/