Subject: I-D Action: draft-sharabayko-srt-over-quic-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 10:42:55 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Tunnelling SRT over QUIC
        Authors         : Maxim Sharabayko
                          Maria Sharabayko
	Filename        : draft-sharabayko-srt-over-quic-00.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2021-07-28

Abstract:
   This document presents an approach to tunnelling SRT live streams
   over QUIC datagrams.

   QUIC [RFC9000] is a UDP-based transport protocol providing TLS
   encryption, stream multiplexing, and connection migration.  It was
   designed to become a faster alternative to the TCP protocol
   [RFC7323].

   An Unreliable Datagram Extension to QUIC [QUIC-DATAGRAM] adds support
   for sending and receiving unreliable datagrams over a QUIC
   connection, but transfers the responsibility for multiplexing
   different kinds of datagrams, or flows of datagrams, to an
   application protocol.

   SRT [SRTRFC] is a UDP-based transport protocol.  Essentially, it can
   operate over any unreliable datagram transport.  SRT provides loss
   recovery and stream multiplexing mechanisms.  In its live streaming
   configuration SRT provides an end-to-end latency-aware mechanism for
   packet loss recovery.  If SRT fails to recover a packet loss within a
   specified latency, then the packet is dropped to avoid blocking
   playback of further packets.

   The Datagram Extension to QUIC could be used as an underlying
   transport instead of UDP.  This way QUIC would provide TLS-level
   security, connection migration, and potentially multi-path support.
   It would be easier for existing network facilities to process, route,
   and load balance the unified QUIC traffic.  SRT on its side would
   provide end-to-end latency tracking and latency-aware loss recovery.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sharabayko-srt-over-quic/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-sharabayko-srt-over-quic-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/