Subject: I-D Action: draft-cpaasch-ippm-responsiveness-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 09:43:40 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Responsiveness under Working Conditions
        Authors         : Christoph Paasch
                          Randall Meyer
                          Stuart Cheshire
                          Omer Shapira
	Filename        : draft-cpaasch-ippm-responsiveness-00.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2021-08-13

Abstract:
   Bufferbloat has been a long-standing problem on the Internet with
   more than a decade of work on standardizing technical solutions,
   implementations and testing.  However, to this date, bufferbloat is
   still a very common problem for the end-users.  Everyone "knows" that
   it is "normal" for a video conference to have problems when somebody
   else on the same home-network is watching a 4K movie.

   The reason for this problem is not the lack of technical solutions,
   but rather a lack of awareness of the problem-space, and a lack of
   tooling to accurately measure the problem.  We believe that exposing
   the problem of bufferbloat to the end-user by measuring the end-
   users' experience at a high level will help to create the necessary
   awareness.

   This document is a first attempt at specifying a measurement
   methodology to evaluate bufferbloat the way common users are
   experiencing it today, using today's most frequently used protocols
   and mechanisms to accurately measure the user-experience.  We also
   provide a way to express the bufferbloat as a measure of "Round-trips
   per minute" (RPM) to have a more intuitive way for the users to
   understand the notion of bufferbloat.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-cpaasch-ippm-responsiveness/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-cpaasch-ippm-responsiveness-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/