Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-bess-evpn-pref-df-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 06:06:02 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the BGP Enabled ServiceS WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Preference-based EVPN DF Election
        Authors         : J. Rabadan
                          S. Sathappan
                          T. Przygienda
                          W. Lin
                          J. Drake
                          A. Sajassi
                          S. Mohanty
	Filename        : draft-ietf-bess-evpn-pref-df-08.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2021-09-23

Abstract:
   The Designated Forwarder (DF) in Ethernet Virtual Private Networks
   (EVPN) is defined as the PE responsible for sending Broadcast,
   Unknown unicast and Broadcast traffic (BUM) to a multi-homed device/
   network in the case of an all-active multi-homing Ethernet Segment
   (ES), or BUM and unicast in the case of single-active multi-homing.
   The DF is selected out of a candidate list of PEs that advertise the
   same Ethernet Segment Identifier (ESI) to the EVPN network, according
   to the Default DF Election algorithm.  While the Default Algorithm
   provides an efficient and automated way of selecting the DF across
   different Ethernet Tags in the ES, there are some use cases where a
   more 'deterministic' and user-controlled method is required.  At the
   same time, Service Providers require an easy way to force an on-
   demand DF switchover in order to carry out some maintenance tasks on
   the existing DF or control whether a new active PE can preempt the
   existing DF PE.

   This document proposes a DF Election algorithm that meets the
   requirements of determinism and operation control.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-pref-df/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-pref-df-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-bess-evpn-pref-df-08

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/