Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-pim-null-register-packing-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 21:27:40 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Protocols for IP Multicast WG of the IETF.

        Title           : PIM Null-Register packing
        Authors         : Vikas Ramesh Kamath
                          Ramakrishnan Chokkanathapuram Sundaram
                          Raunak Banthia
                          Ananya Gopal
	Filename        : draft-ietf-pim-null-register-packing-10.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2021-09-11

Abstract:
   In PIM-SM networks PIM Null-Register messages are sent by the
   Designated Router (DR) to the Rendezvous Point (RP) to signal the
   presence of Multicast sources in the network.  There are periodic PIM
   Null-Registers sent from the DR to the RP to keep the state alive at
   the RP as long as the source is active.  The PIM Null-Register
   message carries information about a single Multicast source and
   group.

   This document defines a standard to send multiple multicast source
   and group information in a single PIM Null-Register message, in a
   packed format.  We will refer to this packed format as the PIM Packed
   Null-Register format throughout the document.  This document also
   discusses the interoperability between the PIM routers which do not
   understand the packed message format with multiple multicast source
   and group details.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pim-null-register-packing/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-pim-null-register-packing-10

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-pim-null-register-packing-10

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/