Subject: I-D Action: draft-wang-idr-bgp-error-enhance-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 05:06:25 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Revised Error Handling for BGP Messages
        Authors         : Haibo Wang
                          Ming Shen
                          Jie Dong
	Filename        : draft-wang-idr-bgp-error-enhance-00.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2021-10-24

Abstract:
   This document supplements and revises RFC7606.  According to RFC
   7606, when an UPDATE packet received from a neighbor contains an
   attribute of incorrect format, the BGP session cannot be reset
   directly.  Instead, the BGP session must be reset based on the
   specific problem.  Error packets must minimize the impact on routes
   and do not affect the correctness of the protocol.  Different error
   handling methods are used.  The error handling methods include
   discarding attributes, withdrawing routes, disabling the address
   family, and resetting sessions.

   RFC 7606 specifies the error handling methods of some existing
   attributes and provides guidance for error handling of new
   attributes.

   This document supplements the error handling methods for common
   attributes that are not specified in RFC7606, and provides
   suggestions for revising the error handling methods for some
   attributes.  The general principle remains unchanged: Maintain
   established BGP sessions and keep valid routes updated.  However,
   discard or delete incorrect attributes or packets to minimize the
   impact on the current session.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-wang-idr-bgp-error-enhance/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-wang-idr-bgp-error-enhance-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/