Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-v6ops-hbh-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 09:43:42 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Operations WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Operational Issues with Processing of the Hop-by-Hop Options Header
        Authors         : Shuping Peng
                          Zhenbin Li
                          Chongfeng Xie
                          Zhuangzhuang Qin
                          Gyan Mishra
	Filename        : draft-ietf-v6ops-hbh-00.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2021-10-09

Abstract:
   This document describes the processing of the Hop-by-Hop Options
   Header (HBH) in today's routers in the aspects of standards
   specification, common implementations, and default operations.  This
   document outlines the reasons why the Hop-by-Hop Options Header is
   rarely utilized in current networks.  In addition, this document
   describes how the HBH could be used as a powerful mechanism allowing
   deployment and operations of new services requiring a more optimized
   way to leverage network resources of an infrastructure.  The Hop-by-
   Hop Options Header is taken into consideration by several network
   operators as a valuable container for carrying the information
   facilitating the introduction of new services.  The purpose of this
   draft is to document the reasons why the HBH is rarely used within
   networks and to define a proper list of requirements aiming to allow
   a better leverage of the HBH capability.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-hbh/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-hbh-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/