Subject: I-D Action: draft-eckert-bier-cgm2-rbs-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 15:57:33 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Carrier Grade Minimalist Multicast (CGM2) using Bit Index Explicit Replication (BIER) with Recursive BitString Structure (RBS) Addresses
        Author          : Toerless Eckert
	Filename        : draft-eckert-bier-cgm2-rbs-00.txt
	Pages           : 23
	Date            : 2021-10-25

Abstract:
   This memo introduces the architecture of a multicast architecture
   derived from BIER-TE, which this memo calls Carrier Grade Minimalist
   Multicast (CGM2).  It reduces limitations and complexities of BIER-TE
   by replacing the representation of the in-packet-header delivery tree
   of packets through a "flat" BitString of adjacencies with a
   hierarchical structure of BFR-local BitStrings called the Recursive
   BitString Structure (RBS) Address.

   Benefits of CGM2 with RBS addresses include smaller/fewer BIFT in
   BFR, less complexity for the network architect and in the CGM2
   controller (compared to a BIER-TE controller) and fewer packet copies
   to reach a larger set of BFER.

   The additional cost of forwarding with RBS addresses is a slightly
   more complex processing of the RBS address in BFR compared to a flat
   BitString and the novel per-hop rewrite of the RBS address as opposed
   to bit-reset rewrite in BIER/BIER-TE.

   CGM2 can support the traditional deployment model of BIER/BIER-TE
   with the BIER/BIER-TE domain terminating at service provider PE
   routers as BFIR/BFER, but it is also the intention of this document
   to expand CGM2 domains all the way into hosts, and therefore
   eliminating the need for an IP Multicast flow overlay, further
   reducing the complexity of Multicast services using CGM2.  Note that
   this is not fully detailed in this version of the document.

   This document does not specify an encapsulation for CGM2/RBS
   addresses.  It could use existing encapsulations such as [RFC8296],
   but also other encapsulations such as IPv6 extension headers.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-eckert-bier-cgm2-rbs/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-eckert-bier-cgm2-rbs-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/