Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dtn-ama-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 20:31:09 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Delay/Disruption Tolerant Networking WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Asynchronous Management Architecture
        Authors         : Edward J. Birrane
                          Emery Annis
                          Sarah E. Heiner
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dtn-ama-02.txt
	Pages           : 32
	Date            : 2021-10-24

Abstract:
   This document describes a management architecture suitable for
   deployment in challenged networking environments for the
   configuration, monitoring, and local control of application services.
   Challenged networking environments exhibit interruptions in end-to-
   end connectivity and communications delays that are both long-lived
   and unpredictable.  Even in these challenging conditions, such
   networks must provide some type of end-to-end information transport
   and fault protection while also supporting configuration and
   performance reporting.  This management may need to operate without
   human- or system-in-the-loop synchronous interactivity and without
   the preservation of transport-layer sessions.  In such a context,
   challenged networks must exhibit behavior that is both determinable
   and autonomous while maintaining as much compatibility with non-
   challenged-network operational concepts as possible.

   The architecture described in this document is termed the
   Asynchronous Management Architecture (AMA).  The AMA supported two
   types of asynchronous behavior.  First, the AMA does not presuppose
   any synchronized transport behavior between managed and managing
   devices.  Second, the AMA does not support any query-response
   semantics.  In this way, the AMA allows for operation in extremely
   challenging conditions, to include over uni-directional links and
   cases where delays/disruptions would otherwise prevent operation over
   traditional transport layers, such as when exceeding the Maximum
   Segment Lifetime (MSL) of the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP).

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dtn-ama/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dtn-ama-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dtn-ama-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/