Subject: I-D Action: draft-cpaasch-ippm-responsiveness-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 15:50:54 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Responsiveness under Working Conditions
        Authors         : Christoph Paasch
                          Randall Meyer
                          Stuart Cheshire
                          Omer Shapira
	Filename        : draft-cpaasch-ippm-responsiveness-01.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2021-10-25

Abstract:
   For many years, a lack of responsiveness, variously called lag,
   latency, or bufferbloat, has been recognized as an unfortunate, but
   common symptom in today's networks.  Even after a decade of work on
   standardizing technical solutions, it remains a common problem for
   the end users.

   Everyone "knows" that it is "normal" for a video conference to have
   problems when somebody else at home is watching a 4K movie or
   uploading photos from their phone.  However, there is no technical
   reason for this to be the case.  In fact, various queue management
   solutions (fq_codel, cake, PIE) have solved the problem for tens of
   thousands of people.

   Our networks remain unresponsive, not from a lack of technical
   solutions, but rather a lack of awareness of the problem.  We believe
   that creating a tool whose measurement matches people's every day
   experience will create the necessary awareness, and result in a
   demand for products that solve the problem.

   This document specifies the "RPM Test" for measuring responsiveness.
   It uses common protocols and mechanisms to measure user experience
   especially when the network is fully loaded ("responsiveness under
   working conditions".)  The measurement is expressed as "Round-trips
   Per Minute" (RPM) and should be included with throughput (up and
   down) and idle latency as critical indicators of network quality.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-cpaasch-ippm-responsiveness/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-cpaasch-ippm-responsiveness-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-cpaasch-ippm-responsiveness-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/