Subject: I-D Action: draft-hallambaker-mesh-udf-15.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 12:53:59 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Mathematical Mesh 3.0 Part II: Uniform Data Fingerprint.
        Author          : Phillip Hallam-Baker
	Filename        : draft-hallambaker-mesh-udf-15.txt
	Pages           : 60
	Date            : 2021-10-25

Abstract:
   This document describes the underlying naming and addressing schemes
   used in the Mathematical Mesh.  The means of generating Uniform Data
   Fingerprint (UDF) values and their presentation as text sequences and
   as URIs are described.

   A UDF consists of a binary sequence, the initial eight bits of which
   specify a type identifier code.  For convenience, UDFs are typically
   presented to the user in the form of a Base32 encoded string.  Type
   identifier codes have been selected so as to provide a useful
   mnemonic indicating their purpose when presented in Base32 encoding.

   Two categories of UDF are described.  Data UDFs provide a compact
   presentation of a fixed length binary data value in a format that is
   convenient for data entry.  A Data UDF may represent a cryptographic
   key, a nonce value or a share of a secret.  Fingerprint UDFs provide
   a compact presentation of a Message Digest or Message Authentication
   Code value.

   A Strong Internet Name (SIN) consists of a DNS name which contains at
   least one label that is a UDF fingerprint of a policy document
   controlling interpretation of the name.  SINs allow a direct trust
   model to be applied to achieve end-to-end security in existing
   Internet applications without the need for trusted third parties.

   UDFs may be presented as URIs to form either names or locators for
   use with the UDF location service.  An Encrypted Authenticated
   Resource Locator (EARL) is a UDF locator URI presenting a service
   from which an encrypted resource may be obtained and a symmetric key
   that may be used to decrypt the content.  EARLs may be presented on
   paper correspondence as a QR code to securely provide a machine-
   readable version of the same content.  This may be applied to
   automate processes such as invoicing or to provide accessibility
   services for the partially sighted.

   [Note to Readers]

   Discussion of this draft takes place on the MATHMESH mailing list
   ([email-masked]), which is archived at
   https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/search/?email_list=mathmesh.

   This document is also available online at
   http://mathmesh.com/Documents/draft-hallambaker-mesh-udf.html.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hallambaker-mesh-udf/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-hallambaker-mesh-udf-15.html

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-hallambaker-mesh-udf-15

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/