Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-tsvwg-aqm-dualq-coupled-17.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 06:28:17 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group WG of the IETF.

        Title           : DualQ Coupled AQMs for Low Latency, Low Loss and Scalable Throughput (L4S)
        Authors         : Koen De Schepper
                          Bob Briscoe
                          Greg White
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-aqm-dualq-coupled-17.txt
	Pages           : 58
	Date            : 2021-10-04

Abstract:
   The Low Latency Low Loss Scalable Throughput (L4S) architecture
   allows data flows over the public Internet to achieve consistent low
   queuing latency, generally zero congestion loss and scaling of per-
   flow throughput without the scaling problems of standard TCP Reno-
   friendly congestion controls.  To achieve this, L4S data flows have
   to use one of the family of 'Scalable' congestion controls (TCP
   Prague and Data Center TCP are examples) and a form of Explicit
   Congestion Notification (ECN) with modified behaviour.  However,
   until now, Scalable congestion controls did not co-exist with
   existing Reno/Cubic traffic --- Scalable controls are so aggressive
   that 'Classic' (e.g. Reno-friendly) algorithms sharing an ECN-capable
   queue would drive themselves to a small capacity share.  Therefore,
   until now, L4S controls could only be deployed where a clean-slate
   environment could be arranged, such as in private data centres (hence
   the name DCTCP).  This specification defines `DualQ Coupled Active
   Queue Management (AQM)', which enables Scalable congestion controls
   that comply with the Prague L4S requirements to co-exist safely with
   Classic Internet traffic.

   Analytical study and implementation testing of the Coupled AQM have
   shown that Scalable and Classic flows competing under similar
   conditions run at roughly the same rate.  It achieves this
   indirectly, without having to inspect transport layer flow
   identifiers.  When tested in a residential broadband setting, DCTCP
   also achieves sub-millisecond average queuing delay and zero
   congestion loss under a wide range of mixes of DCTCP and `Classic'
   broadband Internet traffic, without compromising the performance of
   the Classic traffic.  The solution has low complexity and requires no
   configuration for the public Internet.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-aqm-dualq-coupled/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-tsvwg-aqm-dualq-coupled-17.html

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tsvwg-aqm-dualq-coupled-17

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/