Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-wish-whip-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 15:25:45 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the WebRTC Ingest Signaling over HTTPS WG of the IETF.

        Title           : WebRTC-HTTP ingestion protocol (WHIP)
        Authors         : Sergio Garcia Murillo
                          Alexandre Gouaillard
	Filename        : draft-ietf-wish-whip-01.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2021-10-20

Abstract:
   While WebRTC has been very sucessful in a wide range of scenarios,
   its adoption in the broadcasting/streaming industry is lagging
   behind.  Currently there is no standard protocol (like SIP or RTSP)
   designed for ingesting media into a streaming service using WebRTC
   and so content providers still rely heavily on protocols like RTMP
   for it.

   These protocols are much older than WebRTC and by default lack some
   important security and resilience features provided by WebRTC with
   minimal overhead and additional latency.

   The media codecs used for ingestion in older protocols tend to be
   limited and not negotiated.  WebRTC includes support for negotiation
   of codecs, potentially alleviating transcoding on the ingest node
   (wich can introduce delay and degrade media quality).  Server side
   transcoding that has traditionally been done to present multiple
   renditions in Adaptive Bit Rate Streaming (ABR) implementations can
   be replaced with simulcasting and SVC codecs that are well supported
   by WebRTC clients.  In addition, WebRTC clients can adjust client-
   side encoding parameters based on RTCP feedback to maximize encoding
   quality.

   Encryption is mandatory in WebRTC, therefore secure transport of
   media is implicit.

   This document proposes a simple HTTP based protocol that will allow
   WebRTC based ingest of content into streaming servics and/or CDNs.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-wish-whip/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-wish-whip-01.html

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-wish-whip-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/