Subject: I-D Action: draft-lai-bmwg-istn-methodology-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 09:01:56 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Problems and Requirements of Evaluation Methodology for Integrated Space and Terrestrial Networks
        Authors         : Zeqi Lai
                          Hewu Li
                          Yangtao Deng
                          Qian Wu
                          Jun Liu
	Filename        : draft-lai-bmwg-istn-methodology-00.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2021-10-25

Abstract:
   With the rapid evolution of the aerospace industry, many "NewSpace"
   upstarts are actively deploying their mega-constellations in low
   Earth orbits (LEO) and building integrated space and terrestrial
   networks (ISTN), promising to provide pervasive, low-latency, and
   high-throughput Internet service globally.  Due to the high
   manufacturing, launching, and updating cost of LEO mega-
   constellations, it is expected that ISTNs can be well designed and
   evaluated before the launch of satellites.  However, the progress of
   designing, assessing, and understanding new network functionalities
   and protocols for futuristic ISTNs faces a substantial obstacle: lack
   of standardized evaluation methodology with acceptable realism,
   flexibility, and cost that can involve the unique dynamic behaviors
   of ISTNs.  This memo first reviews the unique characteristics of LEO
   mega-constellations.  Further, it analyzes the limitation of existing
   network evaluation and analysis methodologies under ISTN
   environments.  Finally, it outlines the key requirements of future
   evaluation methodology tailored for ISTNs.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-lai-bmwg-istn-methodology/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-lai-bmwg-istn-methodology-00.html

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/