Subject: I-D Action: draft-kbbma-mpls-1stnibble-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 14:05:17 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : IANA Registry for the First Nibble Following a Label Stack
        Authors         : Kireeti Kompella
                          Stewart Bryant
                          Matthew Bocci
                          Greg Mirsky
                          Lars Olaf (Loa) Andersson
	Filename        : draft-kbbma-mpls-1stnibble-00.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2021-10-25

Abstract:
   The goal of this memo is to create a new IANA registry (called the
   MPLS First Nibble registry) for the first nibble (4-bit field)
   immediately following an MPLS label stack.  The memo offers a
   rationale for such a registry, describes how the registry should be
   managed, and provides some initial entries.  Furthermore, this memo
   sets out some documentation requirements for registering new values.
   Finally, it provides some recommendations that makes processing MPLS
   packets easier and more robust.

   There is an important caveat on the use of this registry versus the
   IP version number registry.

   This memo, if published, would update [RFC4928] and [RFC8469].

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kbbma-mpls-1stnibble/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-kbbma-mpls-1stnibble-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/