Subject: I-D Action: draft-li-apn-framework-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 10:00:56 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Application-aware Networking (APN) Framework
        Authors         : Zhenbin Li
                          Shuping Peng
                          Daniel Voyer
                          Cong Li
                          Peng Liu
                          Chang Cao
                          Gyan Mishra
                          Kentaro Ebisawa
                          Stefano Previdi
                          James N Guichard
	Filename        : draft-li-apn-framework-04.txt
	Pages           : 22
	Date            : 2021-10-25

Abstract:
   A multitude of applications are carried over the network, which have
   varying needs for network bandwidth, latency, jitter, and packet
   loss, etc.  Some new emerging applications have very demanding
   performance requirements.  However, in current networks, the network
   and applications are decoupled, that is, the network is not aware of
   the applications' requirements in a fine granularity.  Therefore, it
   is difficult to provide truly fine-granularity traffic operations for
   the applications and guarantee their SLA requirements.

   This document proposes a new framework, named Application-aware
   Networking (APN), where application-aware information (i.e.  APN
   attribute) including APN identification (ID) and/or APN parameters
   (e.g.  network performance requirements) is encapsulated at network
   edge devices and carried in packets traversing an APN domain in order
   to facilitate service provisioning, perform fine-granularity traffic
   steering and network resource adjustment.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-li-apn-framework/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-li-apn-framework-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-li-apn-framework-04

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/