Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-tsvwg-aqm-dualq-coupled-18.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 15:54:25 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group WG of the IETF.

        Title           : DualQ Coupled AQMs for Low Latency, Low Loss and Scalable Throughput (L4S)
        Authors         : Koen De Schepper
                          Bob Briscoe
                          Greg White
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-aqm-dualq-coupled-18.txt
	Pages           : 60
	Date            : 2021-10-25

Abstract:
   This specification defines a framework for coupling the Active Queue
   Management (AQM) algorithms in two queues intended for flows with
   different responses to congestion.  This provides a way for the
   Internet to transition from the scaling problems of standard TCP
   Reno-friendly ('Classic') congestion controls to the family of
   'Scalable' congestion controls.  These achieve consistently very Low
   queuing Latency, very Low congestion Loss and Scaling of per-flow
   throughput (L4S) by using Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) in a
   modified way.  Until the Coupled DualQ, these L4S senders could only
   be deployed where a clean-slate environment could be arranged, such
   as in private data centres.  The coupling acts like a semi-permeable
   membrane: isolating the sub-millisecond average queuing delay and
   zero congestion loss of L4S from Classic latency and loss; but
   pooling the capacity between any combination of Scalable and Classic
   flows with roughly equivalent throughput per flow.  The DualQ
   achieves this indirectly, without having to inspect transport layer
   flow identifiers and without compromising the performance of the
   Classic traffic.  The solution has low complexity and requires no
   configuration for the public Internet.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-aqm-dualq-coupled/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-tsvwg-aqm-dualq-coupled-18.html

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tsvwg-aqm-dualq-coupled-18

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/