Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-pim-assert-packing-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 19:27:08 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Protocols for IP Multicast WG of the IETF.

        Title           : PIM Assert Message Packing
        Authors         : Yisong Liu
                          Mike McBride
                          Toerless Eckert
                          Zheng(Sandy) Zhang
	Filename        : draft-ietf-pim-assert-packing-05.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2021-11-22

Abstract:
   In PIM-SM shared LAN networks, there is typically more than one
   upstream router. When duplicate data packets appear on the LAN from
   different routers, assert packets are sent from these routers to
   elect a single forwarder. The PIM assert packets are sent
   periodically to keep the assert state. The PIM assert packet carries
   information about a single multicast source and group, along with
   the metric-preference and metric of the route towards the source or
   RP. This document defines a standard to send and receive information
   for multiple multicast sources and groups in a single PIM assert
   message. This can be particularly helpful when there is   traffic
   for a large number of multicast groups.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pim-assert-packing/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-pim-assert-packing-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-pim-assert-packing-05

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/