Subject: I-D Action: draft-king-irtf-semantic-routing-survey-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 13:50:28 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : A Survey of Semantic Internet Routing Techniques
        Authors         : Daniel King
                          Adrian Farrel
	Filename        : draft-king-irtf-semantic-routing-survey-03.txt
	Pages           : 33
	Date            : 2021-11-26

Abstract:
   The Internet Protocol (IP) has become the global standard in any
   computer network, independent of the connectivity to the Internet.
   Generally, an IP address is used to identify an interface on a
   network device.  Routing protocols are also required and developed
   based on the assumption that a destination address has this semantic
   with routing decisions made on addresses and additional fields in the
   packet headers.

   Over time, routing decisions were enhanced to route packets according
   to additional information carried within the packets and dependent on
   policy coded in, configured at, or signaled to the routers.  Many
   proposals have been made to add semantics to IP addresses.  The
   intent is usually to facilitate routing decisions based solely on the
   address and without finding and processing information carried in
   other fields within the packets.

   This document is presented as a survey to support the study and
   further research into clarifying and understanding the issues.  It
   does not pass comment on the advisability or practicality of any of
   the proposals and does not define any technical solutions

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-king-irtf-semantic-routing-survey/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-king-irtf-semantic-routing-survey-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-king-irtf-semantic-routing-survey-03

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/