Subject: I-D Action: draft-templin-6man-jumbofrag-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 12:04:59 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : IPv6 Packet Identification
        Author          : Fred L. Templin
	Filename        : draft-templin-6man-jumbofrag-01.txt
	Pages           : 5
	Date            : 2021-11-18

Abstract:
   Unlike Internet Protocol, version 4 (IPv4), Internet Protocol,
   version 6 (IPv6) does not include an Identification field in the
   basic packet header.  Instead, IPv6 includes a 32-bit Identification
   field in a Fragment Header extension since the architecture assumed
   that the sole purpose for the Identification is to support the
   fragmentation and reassembly process.  This document asserts that
   per-packet Identifications may be useful for other purposes, e.g., to
   allow recipients to detect spurious packets that may have been
   injected into the network by an attacker.  But, rather than defining
   a new extension header, this document recommends employing the
   existing Fragment Header for per-packet identification even if the
   packet itself appears as an "atomic fragment".

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-templin-6man-jumbofrag/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-templin-6man-jumbofrag-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-templin-6man-jumbofrag-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/