Subject: I-D Action: draft-templin-intarea-parcels-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 13:06:52 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : IP Parcels
        Author          : Fred L. Templin
	Filename        : draft-templin-intarea-parcels-04.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2021-12-20

Abstract:
   IP packets (both IPv4 and IPv6) are understood to contain a unit of
   data which becomes the retransmission unit in case of loss.  Upper
   layer protocols such as the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP)
   prepare data units known as "segments", with traditional arrangements
   including a single segment per packet.  This document presents a new
   construct known as the "IP Parcel" which permits a single packet to
   carry multiple segments, essentially creating a "packet-of-packets".
   Parcels can be broken into smaller parcels by a middlebox on the path
   if necessary, then rejoined into one or more repackaged parcels to be
   forwarded further toward the final destination.  While not desirable,
   reordering of segments within parcels and individual segment loss are
   possible.  But, what matters is that the number of parcels delivered
   to the final destination should be kept to a minimum, and that loss
   or receipt of individual segments (and not parcel size) determines
   the retransmission unit.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-templin-intarea-parcels/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-templin-intarea-parcels-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-templin-intarea-parcels-04

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts