Subject: I-D Action: draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 11:24:10 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Adaptive IPv4 Address Space
        Authors         : Abraham Y. Chen
                          Ramamurthy R. Ati
                          Abhay Karandikar
                          David R. Crowe
	Filename        : draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space-10.txt
	Pages           : 56
	Date            : 2021-12-08

Abstract:
   This document describes a solution to the Internet address depletion
   issue through the use of an existing Option mechanism that is part of
   the original IPv4 protocol. This proposal, named EzIP (phonetic for
   Easy IPv4), outlines the IPv4 public address pool expansion and the
   Internet system architecture enhancement considerations. EzIP may
   expand an IPv4 address by a factor of 256M without affecting the
   existing IPv4 based Internet, or the current private networks. It is
   in full conformance with the IPv4 protocol, and supports not only
   both direct and private network connectivity, but also their
   interoperability. EzIP deployments may coexist with existing Internet
   traffic and IoTs (Internet of Things) operations without perturbing
   their setups, while offering end-users the freedom to indepdently
   choose which service. EzIP may be implemented as a software or
   firmware enhancement to Internet edge routers or private network
   routing gateways, wherever needed, or simply installed as an inline
   adjunct hardware module between the two, enabling a seamless
   introduction. The 256M case detailed here establishes a complete
   spherical layer of an overlay of routers for interfacing between the
   Internet fabic (core plus edge routers) and the end user premises or
   IoTs. Incorporating caching proxy technology in the gateway, a fairly
   large geographical region may enjoy address expansion based on as few
   as one ordinary IPv4 public address utilizing IP packets with
   degenerated EzIP header. If IPv4 public pool allocations were
   reorganized, the assignable pool could be multiplied 512M fold or
   even more. Enabling hierarchical address architecture which
   facilitates both hierarchical and mesh routing, EzIP can provide
   nearly the same order of magnitude of address pool resources as IPv6
   while streamlining the administrative aspects of it. The basic EzIP
   will immediately resolve the local IPv4 address shortage, while being
   transparent to the rest of the Internet as a new parallel facility.
   Under the Dual-Stack environment, these proposed interim facilities
   will relieve the IPv4 address shortage issue, while affording IPv6
   more time to reach maturity for providing the availability levels
   required for delivering a long-term general service.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space-10

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space-10

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts