Subject: I-D Action: draft-templin-intarea-parcels-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 16:31:17 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : IP Parcels
        Author          : Fred L. Templin
	Filename        : draft-templin-intarea-parcels-02.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2021-12-18

Abstract:
   IP packets (both IPv4 and IPv6) are understood to contain a unit of
   data which becomes the retransmission unit in case of loss.  Upper
   layer protocols such as the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP)
   prepare data units known as "segments", with traditional arrangements
   including a single segment per packet.  This document presents a new
   construct known as the "IP Parcel" which permits a single packet to
   carry multiple segments, essentially creating a "packet-of-packets".
   The parcel can be opened at middleboxes on the path with the included
   segments broken out into individual packets, then rejoined into one
   or more repackaged parcels to be forwarded further toward the final
   destination.  Reordering of segments within parcels is unimportant;
   what matters is that the number of parcels delivered to the final
   destination should be kept to a minimum, and that loss or receipt of
   individual segments (and not parcel size) determines the
   retransmission unit.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-templin-intarea-parcels/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-templin-intarea-parcels-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-templin-intarea-parcels-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts