Subject: I-D Action: draft-xiao-v6ops-nd-deployment-guidelines-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 06:14:10 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Neighbor Discovery Protocol Deployment Guidelines
        Authors         : XiPeng Xiao
                          Eduard Metz
                          Gyan Mishra
	Filename        : draft-xiao-v6ops-nd-deployment-guidelines-01.txt
	Pages           : 22
	Date            : 2022-02-16

Abstract:
   Neighbor Discovery (ND) is an integral part of IPv6 first-hop. Due
   to limitation of certain L2 media's support to ND, a number of
   issues can happen in certain scenarios. Solutions for these issues
   have been designed. These issues and solutions are summarized in
   RFC3756, RFC6583, RFC9099.  However, there is no guideline on how to
   prevent the issues or how to select the proper solutions.

   This document analyzes the existing solutions and summarizes their
   wisdoms into an insight: isolating hosts into different L2 links or
   different L3 subnets can be effective in preventing ND issues. In
   deployment scenarios where the ND issues can occur, this prevention
   approach can be more effective than deploying the corresponding
   solutions to solve the issues. Based on this insight, a set of
   guidelines is proposed for future ND deployments. These guidelines
   describe where to isolate hosts in L2 or in subnet to prevent ND
   issues, and how to select suitable solutions for the remaining
   issues. This will likely simplify ND deployment. The impact of such
   isolation to other components of IPv6 first-hop is also analyzed.
   The impact appears small. Therefore, the guidelines will likely
   simplify the overall IPv6 first-hop deployment.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-xiao-v6ops-nd-deployment-guidelines/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-xiao-v6ops-nd-deployment-guidelines-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-xiao-v6ops-nd-deployment-guidelines-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts