Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-23.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 12:33:47 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization WG of the IETF.

        Title           : ALTO Performance Cost Metrics
        Authors         : Qin Wu
                          Y. Richard Yang
                          Young Lee
                          Dhruv Dhody
                          Sabine Randriamasy
                          Luis Miguel Contreras Murillo
	Filename        : draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-23.txt
	Pages           : 38
	Date            : 2022-02-28

Abstract:
   The cost metric is a basic concept in Application-Layer Traffic
   Optimization (ALTO), and different applications may use different
   types of cost metrics.  Since the ALTO base protocol (RFC 7285)
   defines only a single cost metric (namely, the generic "routingcost"
   metric), if an application wants to issue a cost map or an endpoint
   cost request in order to identify a resource provider that offers a
   better delay performance, the base protocol does not define the cost
   metric to be used.

   This document addresses this issue by extending the specification to
   provide a variety of network performance metrics, including network
   delay, delay variation (a.k.a, jitter), packet loss rate, hop count,
   and bandwidth.

   There are multiple sources (e.g., estimation based on measurements or
   service-level agreement) to derive a performance metric.  This
   document introduces an additional "cost-context" field to the ALTO
   "cost-type" field to convey the source of a performance metric.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-23

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-23

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts