Subject: I-D Action: draft-kompella-mpls-mspl4fa-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 12:20:23 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Multi-purpose Special Purpose Label for Forwarding Actions
        Authors         : Kireeti Kompella
                          Vishnu Pavan Beeram
                          Tarek Saad
                          Israel Meilik
	Filename        : draft-kompella-mpls-mspl4fa-02.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2022-02-09

Abstract:
   The MPLS architecture introduced Special Purpose Labels (SPLs) to
   indicate special forwarding actions and offered a few simple
   examples, such as Router Alert.  In the two decades since the
   original architecture was crafted, the range, complexity and sheer
   number of such actions has grown; in addition, there now is need for
   "associated data" for some of the forwarding actions.  Likewise, the
   capabilities and scale of forwarding engines has also improved vastly
   over the same time period.  There is a pressing need to match the
   needs with the capabilities to deliver the next generation of MPLS
   architecture.

   In this memo, we propose an alternate mechanism whereby a single SPL
   can encode multiple forwarding actions and carry associated data,
   some in the label stack and some after the label stack.  This
   proposal also solves the problem of scarcity of base SPLs.

   This approach can immediately address several use cases:

   *  to carry a Slice Selector for IETF network slicing;

   *  to signal that further fast reroute may have harmful consequences;

   *  to indicate that there is relevant data after the label stack;

   *  among others.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kompella-mpls-mspl4fa/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-kompella-mpls-mspl4fa-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-kompella-mpls-mspl4fa-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts