Subject: I-D Action: draft-mishra-bess-ipv6-only-pe-design-all-safi-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 23:28:05 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : IPv6-Only PE Design All SAFI
        Authors         : Gyan Mishra
                          Mankamana Mishra
                          Jeff Tantsura
                          Sudha Madhavi
                          Qing Yang
                          Adam Simpson
                          Shuanglong Chen
	Filename        : draft-mishra-bess-ipv6-only-pe-design-all-safi-01.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2022-03-20

Abstract:
   As Enterprises and Service Providers upgrade their brown field or
   green field MPLS/SR core to an IPv6 transport, Multiprotocol BGP (MP-
   BGP)now plays an important role in the transition of their Provider
   (P) core network as well as Provider Edge (PE) Inter-AS peering
   network from IPv4 to IPv6.  Operators must be able to continue to
   support IPv4 customers when both the Core and Edge networks are
   IPv6-Only.

   This document details an important External BGP (eBGP) PE-PE Inter-AS
   IPv6-Only peering design that leverages the MP-BGP capability
   exchange by using IPv6 peering as pure transport, allowing all and
   any IPv4 Network Layer Reachability Information (NLRI) and IPv6
   Network Layer Reachability Information (NLRI)to be carried over the
   same (Border Gateway Protocol) BGP TCP session for all Address Family
   Identifiers (AFI) and Subsequent Address Family Identifiers(SAFI).
   The design change provides the same Dual Stacking functionality that
   exists today with separate IPv4 and IPv6 BGP sessions as we have
   today.  With this IPv6-Only PE Design, IPv4 address MUST not be
   configured on the the Provider Edge (PE) - Customer Edge (CE), or
   Inter-AS ASBR (Autonomous System Boundary Router) to ASBR (Autonomous
   System Boundary Router) PE-PE Provider Edge (PE) - Provider Edge
   (PE).  From a control plane perspective a single IPv6-Only peer is
   required for both IPv4 and IPv6 routing updates and from a data plane
   forwarindg perspective an IPv6 address need only be configured on the
   PE to PE Inter-AS peering interface for both IPv4 and IPv6 packet
   forwarding.  This document defines the IPv6-Only PE Design as a new
   PE-CE Edge and ASBR-ASBR PE-PE Inter-AS BGP peering Standard which is
   described in the POC testing document
   [I-D.ietf-bess-ipv6-only-pe-design] which is now extended to support
   to all AFI/SAFI ubiquitously.  As service providers migrate to
   Segment Routing architecture SR-MPLS and SRv6, VPN overlay exsits as
   well, and thus Inter-AS options Option-A, Option-B, Option-AB and
   Option-C are still applicable and thus this extension of IPv6-Only
   peering architecure extension to Inter-AS peering is very relevant to
   Segment Routing as well.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mishra-bess-ipv6-only-pe-design-all-safi/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-mishra-bess-ipv6-only-pe-design-all-safi-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-mishra-bess-ipv6-only-pe-design-all-safi-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts