Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-teas-pcecc-use-cases-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 09:58:21 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Traffic Engineering Architecture and Signaling WG of the IETF.

        Title           : The Use Cases for Path Computation Element (PCE) as a Central Controller (PCECC).
        Authors         : Zhenbin (Robin) Li
                          Dhruv Dhody
                          Quintin Zhao
                          King Ke
                          Boris Khasanov
	Filename        : draft-ietf-teas-pcecc-use-cases-09.txt
	Pages           : 40
	Date            : 2022-03-07

Abstract:
   The Path Computation Element (PCE) is a core component of a Software-
   Defined Networking (SDN) system.  It can compute optimal paths for
   traffic across a network and can also update the paths to reflect
   changes in the network or traffic demands.  PCE was developed to
   derive paths for MPLS Label Switched Paths (LSPs), which are supplied
   to the head end of the LSP using the Path Computation Element
   Communication Protocol (PCEP).

   SDN has a broader applicability than signaled MPLS traffic-engineered
   (TE) networks, and the PCE may be used to determine paths in a range
   of use cases including static LSPs, segment routing (SR), Service
   Function Chaining (SFC), and most forms of a routed or switched
   network.  It is, therefore, reasonable to consider PCEP as a control
   protocol for use in these environments to allow the PCE to be fully
   enabled as a central controller.

   A PCE as a Central Controller (PCECC) can simplify the processing of
   a distributed control plane by blending it with elements of SDN and
   without necessarily completely replacing it.  This document describes
   general considerations for PCECC deployment and examines its
   applicability and benefits, as well as its challenges and
   limitations, through a number of use cases.  PCEP extensions required
   for stateful PCE usage are covered in separate documents.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-teas-pcecc-use-cases/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-teas-pcecc-use-cases-09

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-teas-pcecc-use-cases-09

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts