Subject: I-D Action: draft-km-iotops-iiot-frwk-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2022 21:52:34 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Virtualization of PLC in Industrial Networks - Problem Statement
        Authors         : Kiran Makhijani
                          Lijun Dong
	Filename        : draft-km-iotops-iiot-frwk-02.txt
	Pages           : 22
	Date            : 2022-03-05

Abstract:
   Conventional Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) impose several
   challenges on factory floors as their numbers and size on the factory
   floors/plants continues to grow.  Virtualized PLCs can help overcome
   many of those concerns.  They can improve the automation in Industry
   control networks by simplifying communication between higher-level
   applications and low-level factory floor machine operations.  Virtual
   PLCs provide an opportunity to integrate a diverse set of non-
   internet protocols supporting Industrial-IoT and IP connections to
   improve coordination between applications and field devices.  Besides
   automation, virtual PLCs also enhance programmability in industry
   process control systems by abstracting control functions from I/O
   modules.  However, to achieve desired outcome and benefits, both
   operational and application networks should evolve.

   This document introduces virtual PLC concept, describes the details
   and benefits of virtualized PLCs, then focuses on the problem
   statement and requirements.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-km-iotops-iiot-frwk/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-km-iotops-iiot-frwk-02.html

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-km-iotops-iiot-frwk-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts