Subject: I-D Action: draft-tjiang-dmm-5g-dupf-5mbs-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 10:45:14 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : 5G Distributed UPFs for 5G Multicast and Broadcast Services (5MBS)
        Author          : Tianji Jiang
	Filename        : draft-tjiang-dmm-5g-dupf-5mbs-00.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2022-03-07

Abstract:
   The companion draft [I-D.zzhang-dmm-5g-distributed-upf] has described
   the 5G mobile user plane (MUP) via the refinement of distributed
   UPFs, along with various user plane implementations that some vendors
   and operators are exploring, with the requirement of not introducing
   changes to 3GPP architecture & signaling.  The document 3GPP TS
   23.247 [_3GPP-23.247] for 5G multicast and broadcast services, or
   5MBS, specifies the 5GS architecture to support MBS communication.
   Thanks to the addition of new 5GS network functions (NFs) and MB-
   interfaces on 5G CP & UP, this might post additional provisioning &
   implementation challenges to the underlay transport infrastructure.

   This document is not an attempt to do 3GPP SDO work in IETF.
   Instead, it discusses how to potentially integrate distributed UPFs
   with the delivery of 5MBS communication, as well as the benefits of
   using distributed UPFs to handle 5MBS traffic delivery.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-tjiang-dmm-5g-dupf-5mbs/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-tjiang-dmm-5g-dupf-5mbs-00.html

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts