Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-bess-ipv6-only-pe-design-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 14:59:59 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the BGP Enabled ServiceS WG of the IETF.

        Title           : IPv6-Only PE Design for IPv4-NLRI with IPv6-NH
        Authors         : Gyan Mishra
                          Mankamana Mishra
                          Jeff Tantsura
                          Sudha Madhavi
                          Qing Yang
                          Adam Simpson
                          Shuanglong Chen
	Filename        : draft-ietf-bess-ipv6-only-pe-design-01.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2022-03-07

Abstract:
   As Enterprises and Service Providers upgrade their brown field or
   green field MPLS/SR core to an IPv6 transport, Multiprotocol BGP (MP-
   BGP)now plays an important role in the transition of their Provider
   (P) core network as well as Provider Edge (PE) Edge network from IPv4
   to IPv6.  Operators must be able to continue to support IPv4
   customers when both the Core and Edge networks are IPv6-Only.

   This document details an important External BGP (eBGP) PE-CE Edge and
   Inter-AS IPv6-Only peering design that leverages the MP-BGP
   capability exchange by using IPv6 peering as pure transport, allowing
   both IPv4 Network Layer Reachability Information (NLRI) and IPv6
   Network Layer Reachability Information (NLRI)to be carried over the
   same (Border Gateway Protocol) BGP TCP session.  The design change
   provides the same Dual Stacking functionality that exists today with
   separate IPv4 and IPv6 BGP sessions as we have today.  With this
   design change from a control plane perspective a single IPv6 is
   required for both IPv4 and IPv6 routing updates and from a data plane
   forwarindg perspective an IPv6 address need only be configured on the
   PE and CE interface for both IPv4 and IPv6 packet forwarding.

   This document provides a much needed solution for Internet Exchange
   Point (IXP) that are facing IPv4 address depletion at large peering
   points.  With this design, IXP can now deploy PE-CE IPv6-Only eBGP
   Edge or Inter-AS peering design to eliminate IPv4 provisioning at the
   Edge.  This core and edge IPv6-Only peering design paradigm change
   can apply to any eBGP peering, public internet or private, which can
   be either Core networks, Data Center networks, Access networks or can
   be any eBGP peering scenario.  This document provides vendor specific
   test cases for the IPv6-Only peering design as well as test results
   for the five major vendors stakeholders in the routing and switching
   indusrty, Cisco, Juniper, Arista, Nokia and Huawei.  With the test
   results provided for the IPv6-Only Edge peering design, the goal is
   that all other vendors around the world that have not been tested
   will begin to adopt and implement this new Best Current Practice for
   eBGP IPv6-Only Edge peering.

   As this issue with IXP IPv4 address depletion is a critical issue
   around the world, it is imperative for an immediate solution that can
   be implemented quickly.  This Best Current Practice IPv6-only eBGP
   peering design specification will help proliferate IPv6-Only
   deployments at the eBGP Edge network peering points to starting
   immediately at a minimum with operators around the world using Cisco,
   Juniper, Arista, Nokia and Huawei.  As other vendors start to
   implement this Best Current Practice, the IXP IPv4 address depletion
   gap will eventually be eliminated.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-ipv6-only-pe-design/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-bess-ipv6-only-pe-design-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-bess-ipv6-only-pe-design-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts