Subject: I-D Action: draft-addogra-rtgwg-vrrp-rfc5798bis-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 11:21:35 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP) Version 3 for IPv4 and IPv6
        Authors         : Acee Lindem
                          Aditya Dogra
                          Stephen Nadas
	Filename        : draft-addogra-rtgwg-vrrp-rfc5798bis-01.txt
	Pages           : 38
	Date            : 2022-03-07

Abstract:
   This document defines the Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP)
   for IPv4 and IPv6.  It is version three (3) of the protocol, and it
   is based on VRRP (version 2) for IPv4 that is defined in RFC 3768 and
   in "Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol for IPv6".  VRRP specifies an
   election protocol that dynamically assigns responsibility for a
   virtual router to one of the VRRP routers on a LAN.  The VRRP router
   controlling the IPv4 or IPv6 address(es) associated with a virtual
   router is called the Active router, and it forwards packets sent to
   these IPv4 or IPv6 addresses.  VRRP Active routers are configured
   with virtual IPv4 or IPv6 addresses, and VRRP Backup routers infer
   the address family of the virtual addresses being carried based on
   the transport protocol.  Within a VRRP router, the virtual routers in
   each of the IPv4 and IPv6 address families are a domain unto
   themselves and do not overlap.  The election process provides dynamic
   failover in the forwarding responsibility should the Active become
   unavailable.  For IPv4, the advantage gained from using VRRP is a
   higher-availability default path without requiring configuration of
   dynamic routing or router discovery protocols on every end-host.  For
   IPv6, the advantage gained from using VRRP for IPv6 is a quicker
   switchover to Backup routers than can be obtained with standard IPv6
   Neighbor Discovery mechanisms.

   The VRRP terminology has been updated be in line with inclusive
   language used in the industry.  This document obsoletes VRRP Version
   3 [RFC5798].

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-addogra-rtgwg-vrrp-rfc5798bis/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-addogra-rtgwg-vrrp-rfc5798bis-01.html

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-addogra-rtgwg-vrrp-rfc5798bis-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts