Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dtn-dtnma-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2022 14:59:32 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Delay/Disruption Tolerant Networking WG of the IETF.

        Title           : DTN Management Architecture
        Authors         : Edward J. Birrane
                          Emery Annis
                          Sarah E. Heiner
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dtn-dtnma-00.txt
	Pages           : 40
	Date            : 2022-03-06

Abstract:
   This document describes a management architecture suitable for
   deployment in the Delay-Tolerant Networking (DTN) architecture.  The
   DTN environment is characterized by a lack of end-to-end connectivity
   and communications delays that are both long-lives and unpredictable.
   A DTN Management Architecture (DTNMA) is needed that can operate
   without human- or system-in-the-loop synchronous interactivity and
   without reliance on transport-layer sessions.

   Within a DTNMA, nodes must provide both eventual data exchange and
   in-time local protection.  This can be accomplished with the use of
   autonomous and asynchronous configuration and reporting.  Despite the
   significant challenges to data transport, nodes must exhibit behavior
   that is both determinable and autonomous while maintaining as much
   compatibility with non-challenged-network operations concepts as
   possible.

   The DTNMA is supported by two types of asynchronous behavior.  First,
   the DTNMA does not presuppose any synchronized transport behavior
   between managed and managing devices.  Second, the DTNMA does not
   support any query-response semantics.  In this way, the DTNMA allows
   for operation in extremely challenging conditions, to include over
   uni-directional links and cases where delays/disruptions prevent
   operation over traditional transport layers.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dtn-dtnma/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dtn-dtnma-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts