Subject: I-D Action: draft-song-ship-edge-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:47:34 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Short Hierarchical IP Addresses for Edge Networks
        Author          : Haoyu Song
	Filename        : draft-song-ship-edge-03.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2022-04-11

Abstract:
   To mitigate the IPv6 header overhead and improve the scalability and
   performance in edge networks, this draft proposes to use short
   hierarchical IP addresses excluding the network prefix within edge
   networks.  An edge network can be further organized into a
   hierarchical architecture containing one or more levels of networks.
   While each end node only needs to keep a short address suffix as its
   identifier, the border routers for each hierarchical level are
   responsible for address augmenting and pruning when a packet leaves
   or enter a lower level network.  Specifically, the top-level border
   routers of an edge network convert the internal IP header to and from
   the standard IPv6 header.  This draft presents an incrementally
   deployable scheme allowing packet header to be effectively compressed
   in edge networks without affecting the network interoperability.
   Simplifying both network data plane and control plane, the SHIP
   architecture is suitable for any types of edge networks, especially
   when low latency, high performance, and high bandwidth efficiency are
   required.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-song-ship-edge/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-song-ship-edge-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-song-ship-edge-03

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts