Subject: [I18ndir] Welcome

From: "Pete Resnick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2019 10:37:38 -0600

Now that the posting has begun, we might as well say officially:

Welcome to the Internationalization Directorate (aka, i18ndir). Thanks 
for agreeing to participate.

We (Peter and Pete) are your dutiful directorate secretaries and we'll 
be handing out assignments for reviews as well as organizing whatever 
training folks will need to get up to speed on different topics. Some of 
the reviews in this directorate are going to be a bit different from 
reviews that other directorates do. Here's the plan:

For reviews that involve i18n considerations in the technical work of 
other WGs, where the i18n work isn't the central bit, reviews will 
pretty much be like other directorates: Someone will get assigned to do 
the review either early on (if requested by the WG) or at Last Call 
time, and that person will be expected to re-review when the document 
goes before the IESG. The only difference is that in this directorate, 
we may assign more than one person to do the review, given the different 
levels and types of expertise among us as well as the common need in 
internationalization to consider multiple perspectives. However, we may 
have one person in charge of doing the writeup.

For reviews of documents that are i18n documents in their entirety 
(e.g., Patrik's draft that will come before us almost immediately), 
particularly on Individual Submission drafts, our plan is to have a 
short open discussion of the document on the list so that we get as many 
expert eyes on the document as possible. We'll assign someone to writeup 
the review resulting from that discussion, and we'll try to moderate the 
discussion to drive it to completion quickly, normally within 2 weeks.

We'll try to use the directorate review tool as much as possible; it's 
quite handy and we think you'll like it, though it certainly won't be 
required to do reviews.

Thanks again for committing to this work. We'll get going in the next 
few days.

Pete and Peter