Subject: Re: [I18ndir] draft-faltstrom-unicode11-07

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 23:28:35 -0400

--On Sunday, March 10, 2019 13:51 -0600 Peter Saint-Andre
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unfortunately, this seems to be the situation we're in. I
> suppose you could say we're "kicking the can down the road"
> with this update; however, at least we're getting unstuck from
> a very old version of Unicode. I agree we do need to figure
> out a better path forward.

Peter, please remember that the IANA tables are not in any sense
normative, nor do whatever Unicode versions they reflect make
some other versions of Unicode "unsupported".   I suggest we
need to start getting very precise about what we mean when words
like "stuck" (or "unstuck") are used.

    john

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 18:45:51 -0600

On 3/11/19 9:28 PM, John C Klensin wrote:
> some other versions of Unicode "unsupported". 

Yes, you have (re-)explained that well in your recent messages.

>  I suggest we

There is likely a perception that we are stuck on 6.3.0 because the
tables have not been updated since then and because of the IAB statement
on 7.0.0. Normatively we are not stuck, but optically we are.

Peter

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 22:32:14 -0400

--On Tuesday, March 12, 2019 18:45 -0600 Peter Saint-Andre
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>>  I suggest we
>> need to start getting very precise about what we mean when
>> words like "stuck" (or "unstuck") are used.
> 
> There is likely a perception that we are stuck on 6.3.0
> because the tables have not been updated since then and
> because of the IAB statement on 7.0.0. Normatively we are not
> stuck, but optically we are.

No question about that.  And we are certainly "stuck" in dealing
with the issues raised in draft-klensin-idna-5892upd-unicode70
and continue to be.   My comment was just a plea that we be very
careful about the language we use in discussions with people who
are less immersed in these issues and subtleties that we are.

    john