Subject: [Ianaplan] FW: ICG Charter Open for Public Comment

From: Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2014 14:31:40 -0700

FYI.

There has been some discussion of the ICG charter on
[email-masked], and I think it’s the preference of Jari and myself
for further IETF/IAB discussion of the charter to happen there so we can
coalesce and reflect the results of that discussion back to the ICG. But if
people would rather submit comments individually and directly to the ICG,
information about how to do so is below.

Alissa

On 8/8/14, 2:12 PM, "Grace Abuhamad" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The ICG has opened a public comment period for their charter that will end on
> 15 August 2014 at 23:59 UTC.
> 
> Public comment submission process links:
> 
> Comment submission: [email-masked]
> List of comments submitted via this site:
> http://forum.icann.org/lists/icg-forum
> Charter: 
> https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/draft-charter-coordination-group-1
> 7jun14-en.pdf [PDF, 43.7 KB]
> Deadline: August 15, 2014 at 23:59 UTC
> 
> Please view the full announcement here:
> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2014-08-08-en
> _______________________________________________ ianatransition mailing list
> [email-masked] https://mm.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/ianatransition

---

From: "Richard Hill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 08:32:47 +0200

Dear Alissa,

Thank you for this.

Please find attached my comments on the draft ICG charter.

Best,
Richard

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Ianaplan [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Alissa Cooper
  Sent: vendredi, 8. août 2014 23:32
  To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
  Subject: [Ianaplan] FW: ICG Charter Open for Public Comment

  FYI.

  There has been some discussion of the ICG charter on [email-masked], and I think it’s the preference of Jari and myself for further IETF/IAB discussion of the charter to happen there so we can coalesce and reflect the results of that discussion back to the ICG. But if people would rather submit comments individually and directly to the ICG, information about how to do so is below.

  Alissa

    The ICG has opened a public comment period for their charter that will end on 15 August 2014 at 23:59 UTC.

    Comment submission: [email-masked]
    List of comments submitted via this site: http://forum.icann.org/lists/icg-forum
    Charter: https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/draft-charter-coordination-group-17jun14-en.pdf [PDF, 43.7 KB]
    Deadline: August 15, 2014 at 23:59 UTC

    Please view the full announcement here: https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2014-08-08-en
    _______________________________________________ ianatransition mailing list [email-masked] https://mm.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/ianatransition

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2014 02:34:28 -0700

Hi Richard,
>Please find attached my comments on the draft ICG charter.

I'll apologize beforehand for commenting about the comments in "IANA 
ICG charter r1.pdf" as it might not fit within the description of a 
rich and productive discussion.  I assume that a disclosure of 
interests would be repetitive as I already did that on another 
mailing list recently.

 From Page 1:

  'In this context, it must be stressed that the "Internet community" is not
   the same as "the global multistakeholder community".

   Indeed, the term "Internet community" is usually used to refer to the
   community of people who actively participate in the design, maintenance,
   evolution, and promotion of the Internet, possibily including intensive
   users. As one well-respected member of this community put the matter:
   "Internet Community includes all those people who are part of the I*
   organizations and their fellow travellers"'

I assume that "I* organizations" in the above refers to IETF, ICANN 
and ITU.  I am not a frequent traveller to the IETF and I am not a 
frequent traveller to ICANN.  It is possible to verify that by 
looking at the list of meeting attendees.  Am I part of the "Internet 
community"?  I'll leave that to the fellow travellers to determine.

It is my understanding that the term "internet community" has been 
used over the years to avoid excluding anyone.  My interpretation of 
it is the people out there whom I do not know and yet whom I would 
listen to if that is what I said I would do.  A quick look at the RFC 
Series shows an occurrence of the term "internet community" in 1989.

   'In contrast, "global multistakeholder community" includes people and
    organizations that are not part of the "Internet community", including
    people and organizations that, at present, do not have access to the
    Internet.'

I found the following occurrences for "multistakeholder community"

   http://www.itu.int/net/ITU-SG/speeches/2008/may21.aspx
   http://gnso.icann.org/en/node/2993

There wasn't any occurrences from ietf.org (excluding a message 
forwaded to one mailing list).

On Page 3:

   "Motivation: the composition of the ICG does not fully represent the global
    multistakeholder community, so the ICG should not make any decisions, much
    less by "rough consensus".'

I have not been able to find a definition of "global multistakeholder 
community".  The issue would be about the determination of "rough 
consensus".  For example, would the IANA Stewardship Transition 
Coordination Group ignore my comments on the grounds that I am not 
part of a community?  I hope not.

There are times when it is useful for things to be done and also seen 
to be done.  That might be what "open" is about.  Is it worth the 
effort?  I do things without asking myself that question.  Would I 
ask those who seek to represent me in the IANA Stewardship Transition 
Coordination Group to put in an effort?  I did ask Ms Cooper and Mr 
Arkko a little thing about the web [1].

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. http://www.iab.org/mail-archive/web/internetgovtech/current/msg00492.html

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 08:32:47 -0400

Richard:

I do not understand your suggested edits to the first sentence.  At the start, you seem to agree with the ICG that there is one (and only one) deliverable.  Then, as your revised sentence goes on, your create a second deliverable, a final report.

Russ

On Aug 9, 2014, at 2:32 AM, Richard Hill wrote:

> <IANA ICG charter r1.pdf>_______________________________________________
> Ianaplan mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ianaplan

---

From: "Richard Hill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 18:38:18 +0200

Dear Russ,

I suppose that the proposal would be prefaced by a cover letter, so the
"final report" would be the cover letter plus conensus proposal (plus, if
needed, dissenting views).

Best,
Richard
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Ianaplan [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Russ Housley
  Sent: lundi, 11. août 2014 14:33
  To: [email-masked]; Rhill@Alum. Mit. Edu
  Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
  Subject: Re: [Ianaplan] FW: ICG Charter Open for Public Comment

  Richard:

  I do not understand your suggested edits to the first sentence.  At the
start, you seem to agree with the ICG that there is one (and only one)
deliverable.  Then, as your revised sentence goes on, your create a second
deliverable, a final report.

  Russ

    Dear Alissa,

    Thank you for this.

    Best,
    Richard

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Ianaplan [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Alissa
Cooper
      Sent: vendredi, 8. août 2014 23:32
      To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
      Subject: [Ianaplan] FW: ICG Charter Open for Public Comment

      FYI.

      Alissa

        The ICG has opened a public comment period for their charter that
will end on 15 August 2014 at 23:59 UTC.

        Comment submission: [email-masked]
        List of comments submitted via this site:
http://forum.icann.org/lists/icg-forum
        Charter:
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/draft-charter-coordination-group
-17jun14-en.pdf [PDF, 43.7 KB]
        Deadline: August 15, 2014 at 23:59 UTC

        Please view the full announcement here:
https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2014-08-08-en
        _______________________________________________ ianatransition
mailing list [email-masked]
https://mm.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/ianatransition
    <IANA ICG charter r1.pdf>_______________________________________________
    Ianaplan mailing list
    [email-masked]
    https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ianaplan