Subject: Re: [Ianaplan] IANA stewardship transition RFP

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 23:38:11 -0700

Hi Alissa,
At 05:18 02-09-2014, Alissa Cooper wrote:
>The IANA stewardship coordination group (ICG) has produced a stable draft RFP

This is a late comment; I am okay if it is ignored.

On Page 3:

   "Identify which category of the IANA functions this submission proposes
    to address:

     [ ] Names [ ] Numbers [ ] Protocol Parameters"

 From the United States Department of Commerce web site:

     The IANA functions have historically included:  (1) the 
coordination of the
     assignment of technical Internet protocol parameters; (2) the 
administration
     of certain responsibilities associated with Internet DNS root 
zone management;
     (3) the allocation of Internet numbering resources; and (4) other services
     related to the management of the .ARPA and .INT top-level domains."

In my opinion the text on Page 3 conflates those with direct 
operational or service relationships with the IANA functions 
operator; namely names, numbers, protocol
parameters, with the IANA functions.

The IANAPLAN working group Charter uses the term "IANA function".  It 
does not make sense (to me) to argue that .ARPA falls under the 
"Protocol Parameters" category.  It might be less disputable if the 
text follows the definition provided on the United States Department 
of Commerce web site.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy