Subject: [Ianaplan] Missing clauses?

From: "Richard Hill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 10:31:24 +0200

There was some discussion on this list regarding whether or not some clauses
in the IANA functions contract between NTIA and ICANN are not found in the
MoU between ICANN and IETF.

As I recall, the issue of intellectual property rights was raised.  Indeed
the IANA functions contract contains clauses regarding rights in data (H.4
and H.5; a more detailed version of those is found in 1.9.4 and 1.9.5 of
ICANN's proposal (Part 2), which is incorporated by reference in the
contract).

I don't see anything to that effect in the MoU between ICANN and IETF.

Best,
Richard

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2014 10:36:15 +1300

> I don't see anything to that effect in the MoU between ICANN and IETF.

There isn't. It was considered a hot potato at that time.

In view of Steve Crocker's statements a couple of months ago, it's
perhaps less of a hot potato now, and the IETF has a vehicle for
accepting IPR which did not exist in 2000. However, I doubt that
this WG can do any more than suggest that an IPR agreement between
the IETF Trust and IANAng would be desirable to ensure that the
registry contents are perpetually available to the public.

    Brian

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 00:42:33 -0500

On Sep 30, 2014, at 4:36 PM, Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]> wrote: However, I doubt that
> registry contents are perpetually available to the public.

[BA] Agree that this is really a Trust issue. Note that NTIA-ICANN contract covers more than just registry contents in terms of rights. There are sections on ownership of deliverables, patent licenses, etc.