Subject: [Ianaplan] Section 2 of draft-ietf-ianaplan-icg-response-01

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 17:06:35 -0700

Hello,

 From Section 2 of draft-ietf-ianaplan-icg-response-01:

   "o  The IETF specifies minimum requirements for root servers.  Should
       those requirements change, we will inform ICANN."

There was a discussion about the above question several months ago on 
an IETF mailing list. I could not find any up-to-date document about 
the minimum requirements for root servers.  Is there a reference for 
the above (see quoted text)?

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

---

From: Suzanne Woolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 22:23:27 -0400

Hi,

With apologies for not sending text for the draft yet, I'll note that this should say something along the lines that the IETF specifies "minimum requirements for compliance with DNS protocol for root servers," as we're in the process of replacing the old RFC 2870 (which attempted to specify both protocol and operational requirements) with two new documents-- "DNS Root Name Service Protocol and Deployment Requirements" (http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-2870bis/, an IAB document) and "Service Expectations of Root Servers" (https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/rssac-001-draft-02may13-en.pdf, produced by the Root Server System Advisory Committee of ICANN, which includes root server operators and other DNS experts). 

Neither is final yet, but it's my understanding they're both expected to be final before the output of ianaplan is due to go to the ICG.

So as I understand it (having touched both documents and worked with both groups of authors), the answer to your question is, "not yet, but it's not critical path."

best,
Suzanne

On Oct 19, 2014, at 8:06 PM, S Moonesamy <[email-masked]> wrote:

> There was a discussion about the above question several months ago on an IETF mailing list. I could not find any up-to-date document about the minimum requirements for root servers.  Is there a reference for the above (see quoted text)?
> 
> Regards,
> S. Moonesamy
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Ianaplan mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ianaplan

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 21:48:11 -0700

Hi Suzanne,
At 19:23 19-10-2014, Suzanne Woolf wrote:
>With apologies for not sending text for the draft yet, I'll note 
>that this should say something along the lines that the IETF 
>specifies "minimum requirements for compliance with DNS protocol for 
>root servers," as we're in the process of replacing the old RFC 2870 
>(which attempted to specify both protocol and operational 
>requirements) with two new documents-- "DNS Root Name Service 
>Protocol and Deployment Requirements" 
>(http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-2870bis/, an IAB 
>document) and "Service Expectations of Root Servers"

[snip]

>Neither is final yet, but it's my understanding they're both 
>expected to be final before the output of ianaplan is due to go to the ICG.
>
>So as I understand it (having touched both documents and worked with 
>both groups of authors), the answer to your question is, "not yet, 
>but it's not critical path."

Thanks for the references.  Although there was a request for 
publication by the IAB that draft has some issues which have not been 
addressed.  The text in this working group's draft is a 
forward-looking statement.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy