Subject: [Ianaplan] Summary of Tuesday's IANAPLAN WG meeting at IETF91

From: "Leslie Daigle (TCE)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 22:26:38 -0500

As noted in the minutes from the meeting, the working group session 
focused on reviewing open issues identified in the WGLC of 
draft-ietf-ianaplan-icg-response  .   Most of the proposed changes 
elicited no comment from the meeting participants.  The proposed text 
around referencing .arpa had some discussion, with additional historical 
perspective being brought to bear.  New text will be proposed.

The bulk of the meeting was focused on the discussion of whether or how 
questions surrounding contingency planning should be handled in the 
document.  The proposed text revisions referring to iana.org and marks 
were presented, along with representation of the reasoning as discussed 
  on the mailing list.   After robust discussion in the room, the issue 
moved from the marks themselves, or attempting to address stability by 
fixing the current reality in stone, or predicting future possible 
problems in a contract-like framework, to focusing on using this 
document to address the specific requirement of addressing the question 
of what the current requirements and agreements are.

The support for the latter was quite clear from the 100 - 200 
participants in the meeting, and the hum in the room to support removal 
of text stating requirements for the IAOC to negotiate contingency plans 
for the disposition of marks and iana.org was unanimous in the room.  No 
one hummed against.

Revised text, attempting to reflect the state of this discussion, will 
be forthcoming this week.

Leslie.

-- 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Leslie Daigle
Principal, ThinkingCat Enterprises
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------