Subject: [Ianaplan] IAB section [Was: Adrian Farrel's No Record on draft-ietf-ianaplan-icg-response-06: (with COMMENT)]

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 19:12:16 -0000

Thanks Jari,

Yes, I chatted with Eliot on this point and he also said (he's on the IAB as
well) that this is roughly the message the IAB intends to add.

I think it is fine to have such a statement in this document and, as Olaf
pointed out, there is precedent for simple affirmations of this type. It's worth
(to me) noting that in the two cases he cites, the IAB statement was already in
place at the time of IETF last call. So my concern here was about the massive
lacuna and the free scope it offered to the IAB to add something that disagreed
with IETF consensus - a fact which the community would surely want to develop.

Having heard that the IAB only intends to add a message of support, I'll trust
Jari (as responsible AD) to look after fixing up the document and checking the
additions really are exactly that, and limit myself to muttering about how it
would have been better for the IAB to have supplied the text sooner.

Thanks,
Adrian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jari Arkko [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 16 December 2014 16:19
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: Brian E Carpenter; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
draft-
> [email-masked]; Eliot Lear;
[email-masked];
> The IESG
> Subject: Re: [Ianaplan] Adrian Farrel's No Record on draft-ietf-ianaplan-icg-
> response-06: (with COMMENT)
> 
> Adrian,
> 
> Thanks for all the comments. I think Eliot has worked through most of it. I'm
> expecting him to take much of this into account.
> 
> I wanted to comment on the question of the IAB text in Section 5. Of course,
you
> are completely right Adrian that if the IAB wanted to say something
substantial,
> we'd need a different process. In this case the intent is to add "The IAB
supports
> the response in this document." and only that. I think adding that is
reasonable,
> and of course, should not happen in the darkness but can be done as a part of
> the approval process.
> 
> So - for everyone - please be aware that we are planning to add that text as a
> part of the updates that have been otherwise gathered during the LC.
> 
> Jari