Subject: [Ianaplan] closing the working group

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 16:42:33 +0300

Dear all,

With our chartered work done, I plan to close this working group.

I would like to thank everyone who has participated in the effort for their contribution, and their desire to stay on the rational, practical, and implementable course. It worked :-)

Closing this working group does not mean that there will be no further evolution in the IANA system. Like other parts of the IETF or the Internet organisations ecosystem, there may be room for improvements and new ways of working. If we need a broad community discussion for any future change, we will create new working groups as needed.

Thank you,

Jari Arkko
IETF Chair and AD for IANAPLAN WG

---

From: Russ Mundy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 10:06:13 -0400

Jari,

I want to thank you for all of your leadership, extensive work and many contributions to the IANA transition process in this working group, the ICG and many other contributions that were not visible to many of us.  Your inputs were always well reasoned and calmly presented regardless of the “heat level” on the mail list or meeting room.  Your leadership through this process provides an excellent example of rational, practical, and implementable solutions that keeps the Internet running well.

Well done!!

Russ Mundy

> On Oct 13, 2016, at 9:42 AM, Jari Arkko <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Dear all,
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Ianaplan mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ianaplan

---

From: Steve Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 10:11:24 -0400

Jari, et al,

This is indeed an important milestone and let me again add thanks and congratulations to everyone.

Let me also take a moment to reflect on where we were and where we are now.  Some years ago I looked at the interactions between ICANN and the operational communities and wondered why there was a sense of distance.  ICANN had, after all, been purpose built to be the home of the IANA function and each of the operational communities were represented on the ICANN Board as well as having multiple pathways into the organization.  I concluded it would be helpful for the operational communities to have more direct representation for the IANA function.  Also as a separate matter, when I was chair of ICANN’s Security and Stability Advisory Committee, I saw first hand there was a hole in the system, namely a way of making informed decisions about technical changes to the root zone.  This hole resulted in a multi-year delay in putting IPv6 addresses for root servers into the root zone, and it led to a deadlock for another multi-year period before DNSSEC was implemented in the root zone.

Meanwhile, the effort to find a way to bring the NTIA contract for IANA services to an end reached a critical point of success in March 2014 with NTIA’s announcement.  That kicked off the two-and-a-half year process that just ended.  That process included two major streams, one focused on the IANA function, and the other focused on the structure, function and accountability of ICANN itself.

The encapsulation of the IANA function in the newly formed Public Technical Identifiers organization, a legally separate but wholly owned subsidiary — the technical terminology for non-profits is a bit different but the concept is the same — is ICANN was a heavier weight solution than I had originally imagined, but since it includes two new review groups, the Customer Standing Committee (CSC) and the Root Zone Evolution Review Committee (RZERC), I am confident that the problems I observed some years ago are unlikely to recur.

I fully expect the IANA function to continue to function smoothly and effectively.  With the transition to the new structure and simplification of no longer having the contract from NTIA in place, I also expect an even higher degree of transparency and responsiveness.

Thanks,

Steve Crocker
Chair, ICANN Board of Directors
(Writing from my Shinkuro email address because that’s how I’m subscribed to the ianaplan list)

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 09:01:11 +1300

I would like to add to that (which I fully endorse) a word of thanks to
Leslie and Marc for very judicious and balanced WG chairing.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

---

From: "Leslie Daigle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 18:17:54 -0400

Thanks, Brian — happy to help.

And, again:  thanks to everyone in the WG for contributing and helping 
move the IETF piece of the puzzle into place!

Leslie.

-- 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Leslie Daigle
Principal, ThinkingCat Enterprises LLC
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------
On 13 Oct 2016, at 16:01, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

>> I want to thank you for all of your leadership, extensive work and 
>> many contributions to the IANA transition process in this working 
>> group, the ICG and many other contributions that were not visible to 
>> many of us.  Your inputs were always well reasoned and calmly 
>> presented regardless of the “heat level” on the mail list or 
>> meeting room.  Your leadership through this process provides an 
>> excellent example of rational, practical, and implementable solutions 
>> that keeps the Internet running well.
>>
>> Well done!!
>>
>> Russ Mundy
>>
>>> I would like to thank everyone who has participated in the effort 
>>> for their contribution, and their desire to stay on the rational, 
>>> practical, and implementable course. It worked :-)
>>>
>>> Closing this working group does not mean that there will be no 
>>> further evolution in the IANA system. Like other parts of the IETF 
>>> or the Internet organisations ecosystem, there may be room for 
>>> improvements and new ways of working. If we need a broad community 
>>> discussion for any future change, we will create new working groups 
>>> as needed.
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>>
>>> Jari Arkko

---

From: JFC Morfin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 17:17:34 +0200

Dear Steve, Jari and Russ,

Closing this Working Group is truly a no-return singular milestone 
for humanity: it formally means that the World Community's OpenStand 
Global Community concept (OSGCC) that benefits all of humanity (as 
per RFC 6852 "3. Collective Empowerment") is now the world digital 
ecosystem reference that we are to build upon by ourselves.

As a consequence, we will start observing the emergence of multiple 
OSGCs, the current main one being the ICANN/IETF Global Community, 
around its PTI kernel.

In foreseeing this emergence, we established the AtLarge Association 
in 2003 in order to help the user multitude to remain mutually aware 
of the compatible innovation flow. My appeals have established that 
the genuine IETF consensus did not want an inside intertechnology 
technical conflict resolution process to be included in OpenStand. 
The AtLarge Association will, therefore, strive within its limited 
resources and capacities to help the OSGCs' multiconsensual technical 
convergence from the outside, from the users, throughout the 
multitude's practices of mutual documentation and calls for comments.

By doing so, we will depend on the contributions of everyone in the 
hope of helping each other in addressing the needs of everyone, which 
is an ambition I am sure we all share.

Jefsey
http://atlarge.org/index.php/Blog#20161014_The_internet_singularity

On 16:11 13/10/2016, Steve Crocker said:
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64Jari, et al,
>
>Let me also take a moment to reflect on where we were and where we 
>are now.  Some years ago I looked at the interactions between ICANN 
>and the operational communities and wondered why there was a sense 
>of distance.  ICANN had, after all, been purpose built to be the 
>home of the IANA function and each of the operational communities 
>were represented on the ICANN Board as well as having multiple 
>pathways into the organization.  I concluded it would be helpful for 
>the operational communities to have more direct representation for 
>the IANA function.  Also as a separate matter, when I was chair of 
>ICANN's Security and Stability Advisory Committee, I saw first hand 
>there was a hole in the system, namely a way of making informed 
>decisions about technical changes to the root zone.  This hole 
>resulted in a multi-year delay in putting IPv6 addresses for root 
>servers into the root zone, and it led to a deadlock for another 
>multi-year period before DNSSEC was implemented in the root zone.
>
>Meanwhile, the effort to find a way to bring the NTIA contract for 
>IANA services to an end reached a critical point of success in March 
>2014 with NTIA's announcement.  That kicked off the two-and-a-half 
>year process that just ended.  That process included two major 
>streams, one focused on the IANA function, and the other focused on 
>the structure, function and accountability of ICANN itself.
>
>The encapsulation of the IANA function in the newly formed Public 
>Technical Identifiers organization, a legally separate but wholly 
>owned subsidiary — the technical terminology for non-profits is a 
>bit different but the concept is the same — is ICANN was a heavier 
>weight solution than I had originally imagined, but since it 
>includes two new review groups, the Customer Standing Committee 
>(CSC) and the Root Zone Evolution Review Committee (RZERC), I am 
>confident that the problems I observed some years ago are unlikely to recur.
>
>I fully expect the IANA function to continue to function smoothly 
>and effectively.  With the transition to the new structure and 
>simplification of no longer having the contract from NTIA in place, 
>I also expect an even higher degree of transparency and responsiveness.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Steve Crocker
>(Writing from my Shinkuro email address because that's how I'm 
>subscribed to the ianaplan list)
>
>
>‚'v÷VÆBÆ­¶RFòF†æ²WfW'öæRv†ò†2'F6—ated in the effort for their 
>contribution, and their desire to stay on the rational, practical, 
>and implementable course. It worked :-)
> >
> discussion for any future change, we will create new working groups as needed.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Jari Arkko
>‚õõõõõõõõõõõõõõõõð______________________________
> > Ianaplan mailing list
> > [email-masked]