Subject: [Iasa20] another draft, draft-arkko-ietf-iasa-thoughts

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 00:01:14 -0500

I submitted another personal draft on this topic, to complement the
earlier one I had written about finance. The information in both
drafts is for the record, hopefully useful. But one person’s view.
I expect the record of community thoughts in draft-hall etc to be
the broader and more accurate description of issues.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-arkko-ietf-iasa-thoughts-00

   This short memo outlines the author's thoughts about the challenges
   and opportunities with the IETF's administrative support activities,
   currently organised as part of the IETF Administrative Support
   Activities (IASA), IETF Administrative Oversight Committee (IAOC),
   and IETF Trust.

   This memo is just input for discussion that the IETF community should
   have.  The memo is a part of the author's goal to document the status
   and various challenges and opportunities in the context of the so
   called "IASA 2.0" project.

   The memo has no particular official standing, nor does it claim to
   represent more than the authors' thinking at the time of writing.

Jari

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 11:46:46 -0400

You write:
>     A first priority was to establish meeting dates, locations and
>     contracts more than a year in advance, to improve contract
>     negotiating positions, costs, and provide clarity for attendee
>     planning.  (Historical data point: the early 2004 Seoul IETF
>     meeting did not have a hotel contract booked in December of
>     2003).

>   o  Do current arrangements match the tasks and organisation that have
>        grown larger?

we now seem to have more than 1 hour in advance on hotel contracts,
my impression is that it is now 2-3 years, sometimes 5 (in the case of
multiple year contracts).

This is has now tied our hands from responding to community needs/concerns in
a timely fashion.

I also wonder if how much we have reduced our costs by advance contracts.
I suspect that our costs are not much lower, but rather that our meetings are
more successful because they are more easily planned/predicted.

>   o  Today's IETF is international and diverse, which poses challenges
>         to meeting site selection.

....
> Bundling the IAOC with IETF Trust

I read "burdening the IAOC with the IETF Trust", before I read again.
But I think "burden" was in fact the intended meaning, but you were too polite.

...
> Further use of repeats with multi-meeting agreements would also seem to be
> sensible.

I agree that it would be useful to do. It's why I think we know SFO in the
schedule.  And yet, many think meeting in the USA is a problem.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-