Subject: [Iasa20] first draft: IASA 2.0 Virtual Workshops Report

From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 16:12:43 -0500

Dear IASA-interested IETFers,

Jean Mahoney and I have taken a shot at a first draft workshop report
for the two virtual workshops held on 28 Feb. (Alissa has made a pass
through the document; thank you, Alissa!)

I'm attaching the TXT here and we have a github repo you can PR against
or submit Issues on:

https://github.com/josephlhall/IASA2-wrkshp-report

We're still working to incorporate some issues mentioned in the WebEx
chat, but please take a look and make sure it reflects the input from
the workshops.

Jean and I will submit what we can cobble together by the drafts
deadline and then plan for further edits in Chicago.

Cheers and take care all, Joe

-- 
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
Chief Technologist, Center for Democracy & Technology [https://www.cdt.org]
1401 K ST NW STE 200, Washington DC 20005-3497
e: [email-masked], p: 202.407.8825, pgp: https://josephhall.org/gpg-key
Fingerprint: 3CA2 8D7B 9F6D DBD3 4B10  1607 5F86 6987 40A9 A871

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 22:52:06 +0000

Hi Joe, Jean,

Seems to me like that captures the discussion I attended
nicely - good job.

One thing that most IAB workshop reports include is a list
of the attendees. If that's accessible then I think it'd be
no harm to add that as an appendix maybe. If there's some
reason to not do that, I won't object, but I'd prefer that
bit of transparency here as well.

Cheers,
S.

On 10/03/17 21:12, Joseph Lorenzo Hall wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> iasa20 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iasa20
>

---

From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 23:35:22 +0000

> bit of transparency here as well.

Happy to do that. Cheers, Joe

> > Cheers and take care all, Joe
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
Chief Technologist
Center for Democracy & Technology
[email-masked]; https://cdt.org

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2017 14:35:07 -0500

>   move away from it.  It's important that the appointers choose people
>   who have interest in chairing, otherwise the pool gets smaller.  A
>   workshop participant said that they had heard stories that NomComs
>   did not know what to look for when appointing someone to the IAOC.

The constraints on picking chairs was certainly not obvious to any nomcom
I've been involved with.

My view is that nomcom's have largely looked for someone to clearly (and
aggressively!) represent the IETF community, to act as a balance against the
institutional appointees.  This goal is probably in contrast to finding a
good chair.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Matthew Ford <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 12:32:33 +0000

Thanks Joe, this is a useful write-up and seems pretty accurate from the workshop I attended. One comment below:

> On 10 Mar 2017, at 21:12, Joseph Lorenzo Hall <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> <draft-hall-iasa20-workshops-report.txt>

"and ISOC Fellows and Policy Fellows - which are
 ISOC-funded and controlled programs that encourage technical ISOC
 members and policy experts from developing economies to interact with
 the IETF - that should not show up in an IETF budget.”

I think you need to reword this to make clear that the ISOC Fellows are "technologists from emerging and developing economies” whereas the Policy Guests are policy experts from all over the globe (including developed economies).

Thanks,
Mat

---

From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 09:19:42 -0400

> I think you need to reword this to make clear that the ISOC Fellows are "technologists from emerging and developing economies” whereas the Policy Guests are policy experts from all over the globe (…

Will do. Thanks!