Subject: [Iasa20] Comments on draft-haberman-iasa20dt-recs-01

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2017 13:47:20 +0300

Hi,

thanks team for putting this new revision together. A few thoughts below:

> o  If the analysis of the implications of the options is correct.

While this work is about how to structure the administrative support for
the IETF, the draft acknowledges that ISOC has more activities that
relate to the IETF. In particular, the draft says:

> ISOC may of course still run other IETF-related programs, such as the
> IETF journal or the IETF Fellows program.

Something that does not directly relate to the administrative support
ISOC gives to the IETF but has nevertheless been discussed in the
context of IASA 2.0 (e.g., Ted mentioned it in his last email as well)
is the fact that the IAB is an advisory body of ISOC. To some, this link
between IAB and ISOC is very important because it gives ISOC additional
credibility when driving Internet policies out there.

I realize discussions so far have been much more about how ISOC supports
the IETF. Nevertheless, understanding that the IETF also supports ISOC's
activities is important as well because those activities are very
relevant to the Internet community as a whole.

Such IAB-ISOC link may be unaffected regardless of which of the three
options in the draft the IETF community chooses, but mentioning it
explicitly may be a good idea.

The draft already references the resolution passed by the ISOC's board
regarding potential re-structuring costs related to the transition to
IASA 2.0. Thanks for adding the reference.

Lastly, as Ted mentioned, a good number of ISOC trustees are going to be
attending the whole IETF meeting in Singapore. In addition, the whole
ISOC's board is going to be meeting also in Singapore right after the
IETF meeting. If you want to talk to any of us any any point, please let
us know. The ISOC board has also decided to co-locate some of its
meetings with IETF meetings during 2018 as well (i.e., with IETF 101 and
103), so that the IETF community has access to the ISOC board during the
IASA 2.0 process whenever it is needed.

Cheers,

Gonzalo