Subject: Re: [Iasa20] "self selected" seats (was Re: Board Size)

From: "Livingood, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2018 17:50:55 +0000

That’s a good point, Stephen. I suppose then we're left with either IAB or ISOC as the confirming body if we went down this path. 

JL

On 5/5/18, 1:49 PM, "Stephen Farrell" <[email-masked]> wrote:

    Hiya,
    
    On 05/05/18 18:39, Livingood, Jason wrote:
    > I suppose a slight variation of this would be what I think someone
    > else suggested here, which is to let the board select these
    > candidates but have another entity – ISOC, IAB, or NomCom, then
    > confirm them after some review process.
    I'm not sure I'd be keen on NomCom ever being a confirming body.
    NomCom currently selects nominees and someone else confirms.
    Changing that might cause issues with who's allowed say what to
    whom at some points so is best avoided I'd say. Confirmations
    that I've seen where there was any back and forth messaging at
    all, all seemed tricky. Possibly doing that in multiple directions
    at the same time seems like a pointless risk to me, even if it
    could be figured out in principle.
    
    S.

---

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2018 18:25:22 +0000

I would be fine with a confirming arrangement like this.

On Sat, May 5, 2018 at 1:50 PM Livingood, Jason <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> That’s a good point, Stephen. I suppose then we're left with either IAB or
> ISOC as the confirming body if we went down this path.
>
> JL
>

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2018 19:00:00 -0400

> That’s a good point, Stephen. I suppose then we're left with either IAB or ISOC as the confirming body if we went down this path. 

An advantage to using the IAB as the confirming body here is their
charter: they're both chartered as an IETF activity and also as an
advisory body to the ISOC BoT.  Also, by adding more confirmation load
to the IAB one might reduce the expectation that it appoints anything
directly.  This might make for a nice balance.

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]