Subject: Re: [Iasa20] Initial Board - Bootstrapping the LLC - Qs for the WG

From: "Livingood, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 15:29:19 +0000

On 5/31/18, 11:20 AM, "Lou Berger" <[email-masked]> wrote:
    >      I think this is a key point.  Does the LLC take over (a) immediately
    >      upon formation, (b) once the initial board is seated, (c) once the
    >      permanent board is seated, or (d) on some other timeline, and if so when?
    >      
    > [JL] Excellent question, Lou. What do you think? My gut reaction is that (a) is perhaps too early, so (b) might be just right.
    >
    It depends a bit on how the interim board is going to be structured.  If 
    we follow the proposal that the initial/interim board = the IAOC, then I 
    think (a), which also equals (b), works. If not, I'd lean towards (c) as 
    this should help focus/scope the interim board to just transition and 
    setup issues.

[JL] Since I don’t think we're leaning towards using the IAOC as the interim board of the LLC, then I think that your interest is in (c) -- once the regular board is seated. Very helpful & thanks!! Hearing from others on this question is helpful.

---

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 17:51:05 -0400

On 5/31/2018 11:29 AM, Livingood, Jason wrote:
> [JL] Since I don’t think we're leaning towards using the IAOC as the interim board of the LLC,
Shifting topics a bit:

I think reusing community appointed people makes the most sense and 
(strongly) feel that individual appointments should be avoided - to 
ensure community responsibility and accountability.  Note that we have a 
bunch of I* boards/groups to draw from.

(I don't expect this to have much impact on me either way as my term 
ends in March - at the latest ;-)
Lou

> then I think that your interest is in (c) -- once the regular board is seated. Very helpful & thanks!! Hearing from others on this question is helpful.
>      
>
> _______________________________________________
> iasa20 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iasa20

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 16:55:40 -0500

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 10:29 AM Livingood, Jason <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>     > [JL] Excellent question, Lou. What do you think? My gut reaction is
> that (a) is perhaps too early, so (b) might be just right.
>

I thought I saw a mention up-thread about the possibility that "taking
over" could be function-by-function.

I'm not saying that's the right thing to do, but I do note that we've been
saying "no flag days" since roughly the Monday after TCP/IP replaced NCP
... so it seemed like I should at least ask.

Spencer

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 21:31:23 -0400

> (strongly) feel that individual appointments should be avoided - to ensure
    > community responsibility and accountability.  Note that we have a bunch of I*
    > boards/groups to draw from.

I agree.

    > (I don't expect this to have much impact on me either way as my term ends in
    > March - at the latest ;-)
    
Thinking about the nomcom job to replace you...  I just realized that it will
be difficult to find someone to appoint to an IAOC that is going away soon.
More to the point, even if such a person is found, they will have no time to
come up to speed before their position disappears, so there is essentially no
point in wasting the effort.

So it occurs to me that the WG (since the design team is no more), and the
legal people need to put together a timeline, and if we can't get IETF
consensus on the document by August 1, we need to do an IETF Consensus call
on the timeline.  A result of the timeline decision could be to ask the
current IAOC to sit for an extra 3,6 or 9 months (extend it's term slight)
while the LLC gets seated.

Well. Hmm. I guess the IAOC could also just ask the people whose terms are up,
to remain on the sub-cmtes they are currently on.

-- 
]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh networks [ 
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        | network architect  [ 
]     [email-masked]  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [