Subject: Re: [Iasa20] what the board actually do

From: "Livingood, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 20:44:10 +0000

I think it would be more productive to work on what the
    board-like-thing will actually do rather than details of appointing
    people to it.

[JL] It is already in several of our current documents, feel free to read them again. We'll be taking it up in further detail next week, so hopefully that will help as well.
    
    The main difference between the current IAOC and the new LLC is that
    the LLC will have its own bank account and be able to sign its own
    contracts, deposit checks written to "IETF", and write checks to pay
    the bills.

[JL] That is indeed one difference. 
    
    What's the budget process?  Who makes the budget, how far ahead, who
    signs off on it?  How does it negotiate with ISOC about the size and
    timing of its contribution?  When we contract with AMS or other
    vendors, who negotiates the contracts, who reviews or approves them,
    who signs them?  When bills arrive, who reviews them, who signs the
    checks?
    
    Will the LLC have a reserve to cover shortfalls and timing mismatches
    between revenue and expense?  How big?  Who manages it?
    
    We don't need detailed answers to all of these right now but we
    certainly need to know when and how we will know the answers.  The LLC
    needs to do all these things as soon as it takes over the IETF's
    financial operations.

[JL] Indeed, we're going to work through many of those things.

    R's,
    John
    
    PS:
    
    >(Perhaps I am weird, but that is _precisely_ the math I do when I get 
    >“invitations” to share my expertise in a new arena —  even if 
    >I’m sympathetic and interested, I need to know what it is going to 
    >cost me, and what am I going to get out of it.  The closer that is to a 
    >balance of 0 or positive, the more likely I am to accept.  And I suspect 
    >I’m not totally weird in that regard).
    
    If you're weird, then a lot of us are.
    
    _______________________________________________
    iasa20 mailing list
    [email-masked]
    https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iasa20

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2018 14:30:30 +1200

> [JL] That is indeed one difference. 

I hope the *main* difference will be that the Board will provide
strategy and oversight, and the LLC staff + contractors will do the work.
That isn't how the IAOC works today.

    Brian