Subject: [Iasa20] -02 I-D: Term Length & Limit

From: "Livingood, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2018 17:50:43 +0000

See text in 4.7 and 4.8. https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hall-iasa2-struct-02

Any thoughts or reactions?

JL

---

From: "Deen, Glenn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2018 17:58:23 +0000

Both are good with the one comment that I’d still like to see a lifetime limit as this isn’t meant to be a career position and many times were groups have term limits without a lifetime limit you end up with people rotating off then on over and over which still results in ossification

Glenn

Sent from my iPhone

On May 14, 2018, at 10:51 AM, Livingood, Jason <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

JL
_______________________________________________
iasa20 mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iasa20

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2018 12:02:45 -0700

Jason,

> On May 14, 2018, at 10:50 AM, Livingood, Jason <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

I am fine with the text in Section 4.7.

Regarding 4.8.  LLC Board Director Limit:

Do we want someone to cycle off for a year and then be put back on?   I think I would prefer a longer time between board positions, like 3 years.

Bob

---

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2018 15:14:02 -0400

Hi Bob,

> Do we want someone to cycle off for a year and then be put back on?   I think I would prefer a longer time between board positions, like 3 years.

Combining your comment and Glenn's suggested lifetime limit, how about:

* 3-year terms
* 3 terms total
* No more than two consecutive full terms
* A full term break must occur between the 1st and 2nd terms OR between
the 2nd and 3rd terms
* A partial term (<= 1 year) does not count against the lifetime limit

Brian

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 May 2018 15:55:47 -0400

>* A partial term (<= 1 year) does not count against the lifetime limit

This seems kind of overspecified.  If we really have only a tiny
handful of people who would rotate on and off the board, we have
problems that can't be fixed by writing rules.

The ISOC board has a two term limit with a one year gap and that has
worked fine.  I think a few people have left and come back but not
enough that you'd notice, and being on the ISOC board is a lot more
interesting than the LLC board will be.

R's,
John

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 08:54:55 +1200

> problems that can't be fixed by writing rules.

I agree. And the "removal" mechanism is a backstop anyway, in case a
dinosaur became a problem.

   Brian

> [email-masked]

---

From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2018 18:18:16 -0400

> interesting than the LLC board will be.

Either of these seem fine

> --
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
Chief Technologist, Center for Democracy & Technology [https://www.cdt.org]
1401 K ST NW STE 200, Washington DC 20005-3497
e: [email-masked], p: 202.407.8825, pgp: https://josephhall.org/gpg-key
Fingerprint: 3CA2 8D7B 9F6D DBD3 4B10  1607 5F86 6987 40A9 A871