Subject: [Iasa20] I-D Action: draft-ietf-iasa2-rfc5377bis-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 09:59:45 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IETF Administrative Support Activity 2 WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Advice to the Trustees of the IETF Trust on Rights to Be Granted in IETF Documents
        Author          : Joel M. Halpern
	Filename        : draft-ietf-iasa2-rfc5377bis-00.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2018-09-24

Abstract:
   Contributors grant intellectual property rights to the IETF.  The
   IETF Trust holds and manages those rights on behalf of the IETF.  The
   Trustees of the IETF Trust are responsible for that management.  This
   management includes granting the licenses to copy, implement, and
   otherwise use IETF Contributions, among them Internet-Drafts and
   RFCs.  The Trustees of the IETF Trust accepts direction from the IETF
   regarding the rights to be granted.  This document describes the
   desires of the IETF regarding outbound rights to be granted in IETF
   Contributions.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-iasa2-rfc5377bis/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-iasa2-rfc5377bis-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-iasa2-rfc5377bis-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Livingood, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 17:07:08 +0000

This was on our long list of docs that the WG agreed to update. Joel was the prior document editor and graciously agreed to perform this update for the WG. There were 3 references to the IAOC in the old RFC at https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5377. Two were simply removed. 

The final one pertained to appeals, which was changed from the IAOC to the LLC. The reason is that the IASA structure has changed but this was not intended to negate the appeals process. 

Any thoughts or feedback for Joel?

Jason

On 9/24/18, 1:00 PM, "iasa20 on behalf of [email-masked]" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

    
    Abstract:

    
    
    _______________________________________________
    iasa20 mailing list
    [email-masked]
    https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iasa20

---

From: Joel Halpern <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 13:07:30 -0400

Another document that the chairs found with IAOC references.
I have provided a bis that removes the references to the IAOC from this 
document.

There were three references.  Two of them simply said that the trustees 
were the members of the IAOC.  Those two I simply removed.  The third 
reference was to the appeals procedures.  I replaced that text with:

    Appeals of the actions of the Trustees of the IETF Trust are to
    be directed to the IETF Administration LLC.

If people see problems with that resolution, please speak up.

Yours,
Joel

PS: I forgot to put in the obsoletes keyword.  I have that queued up for 
whatever other changes are needed.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-iasa2-rfc5377bis-00.txt
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 09:59:45 -0700
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the IETF Administrative Support Activity 2 
WG of the IETF.

         Title           : Advice to the Trustees of the IETF Trust on 
Rights to Be Granted in IETF Documents
         Author          : Joel M. Halpern
	Filename        : draft-ietf-iasa2-rfc5377bis-00.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2018-09-24

Abstract:

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 12:01:30 +1200

>     be directed to the IETF Administration LLC.

I would prefer that first appeal is to the LLC Board, not the LLC as
a whole. And what about the 2nd and 3rd levels of appeal, which are
the IAB and ISOC Board under RFC4071/4371?

I've looked in vain for the appeals chain in draft-ietf-iasa2-struct.
Suddenly, that seems like an oversight.

Regards
   Brian

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Sep 2018 23:05:50 -0700

In article <[email-masked]> you write:
>This was on our long list of docs that the WG agreed to update. Joel was the prior document editor and graciously agreed
>to perform this update for the WG. There were 3 references to the IAOC in the old RFC at
>https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5377. Two were simply removed. 
>
>The final one pertained to appeals, which was changed from the IAOC to the LLC. The reason is that the IASA structure
>has changed but this was not intended to negate the appeals process. 
>

As far as I know, there has never been an appeal of a trust decision,
but the LLC doesn't seem like the right place for it, since what the
trust does and what the LLC does have nothing to do with each other.
I suppose the IESG would make more sense.