Subject: [Iasa20] I-D Action: draft-ietf-iasa2-struct-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2018 05:07:21 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IETF Administrative Support Activity 2 WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Record of Proposed Structure of the IETF Administrative Support Activity (IASA), Version 2.0
        Authors         : Brian Haberman
                          Joseph Lorenzo Hall
                          Jason Livingood
	Filename        : draft-ietf-iasa2-struct-06.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2018-09-07

Abstract:
   The IETF Administrative Support Activity (IASA) was originally
   established in 2005.  In the 13 years from 2005 to 2018, the needs of
   the IETF have evolved in ways that require changes to its
   administrative structure.  The purpose of this document is to outline
   a proposed new "IASA 2.0" structure and to document the decisions
   made by the IASA2 Working Group over the past 20 months in developing
   the proposed structure.  The proposal is for the work of the IETF's
   administrative and fundraising tasks to be conducted by a new
   administrative organization, the IETF Administration Limited
   Liability Company ("LLC").  Under the proposal, the Internet
   Administrative Oversight Committee (IAOC) will be eliminated, and its
   oversight and advising functions transferred to the new LLC Board.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-iasa2-struct/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-iasa2-struct-06
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-iasa2-struct-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-iasa2-struct-06

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2018 08:14:54 -0400

The datatracker diff tool isn't working for me, so here's the diff from the
github repo.

https://github.com/IASA2/draft-ietf-iasa2-struct/commit/58c2e90b66f5941c732bbeb0f78a926928934262

Essentially, changed the title to "Record of Proposed..." to underscore
that this is a record of decisions in this WG. And added text to the
abstract to that effect. (Apologies for the unjustified text.)

On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 8:07 AM <[email-masked]> wrote:

>         Title           : Record of Proposed Structure of the IETF
> Administrative Support Activity (IASA), Version 2.0
>         Authors         : Brian Haberman
>                           Joseph Lorenzo Hall
>                           Jason Livingood
> _______________________________________________
> iasa20 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iasa20
>

-- 
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
Chief Technologist, Center for Democracy & Technology [https://www.cdt.org]
1401 K ST NW STE 200, Washington DC 20005-3497
e: [email-masked], p: 202.407.8825, pgp: https://josephhall.org/gpg-key
Fingerprint: 3CA2 8D7B 9F6D DBD3 4B10  1607 5F86 6987 40A9 A871

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2018 08:10:28 +1200

If this is to become an RFC, I suggest

1. Delete "over the past 20 months" from the Abstract, as it won't be
relevant to future readers.

2. If there's useful text in [ietf101-slides] and [ietf102-slides],
I suggest pasting that text into the draft instead of the references.

Regards
   Brian

---

From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 06:20:32 -0400

Happy to do the first; I was attempting to clarify that this is documenting
the work IASA2 has been doing, but it's not crucial.

I'm still a noob at IETF but why would we want to pull things out of slides
that were presented? Is the concern that it's not much of a source or that
those documents may change or disappear? I would rather not pull any of
that out since it would be confusing... So I suppose I could pull those
references entirely?

---

From: "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 12:20:14 +0000

*   I'm still a noob at IETF but why would we want to pull things out of slides that were presented? Is the concern that it's not much of a source or that those documents may change or disappear? I would rather not pull any of that out since it would be confusing... So I suppose I could pull those references entirely?

Yeah, a noob who co-authored the legal restructuring…. I don’t think you can use that term any more. :)

I think it’s a judgement call, how much to be self-contained, and how much to point to other text.

If it’s short, I prefer self-contained.  You could keep the pointers also

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 08:26:16 +1200

> Yeah, a noob who co-authored the legal restructuring…. I don’t think you can use that term any more. :)

I agree, I think he's fully qualified and licensed at this point ;-).

> If it’s short, I prefer self-contained.  You could keep the pointers also

Yes. I think experience tells us that with the best will in the world,
URLs rot over time, so it's better if the RFC text can stand alone if
the URL breaks.

   Brian

---

From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 13:30:06 -0400

Ok, I'll take a look and see if those decks contain anything we definitely
want to make sure is in the document. I'm hoping, as you can imagine, that
they do not... but I'll take a look and turn around tomorrow. best, Joe

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 4:26 PM Brian E Carpenter <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> >   *   I'm still a noob at IETF but why would we want to pull things out
> of slides that were presented? Is the concern that it's not much of a
> source or that those documents may change or disappear? I would rather not
> pull any of that out since it would be confusing... So I suppose I could
> pull those references entirely?
> >