Subject: [Iasa20] Last Call: <draft-ietf-iasa2-trust-update-00.txt> (Update to the Selection of Trustees for the IETF Trust) to Best Current Practice

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 14:18:21 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the IETF Administrative Support Activity
2 WG (iasa2) to consider the following document: - 'Update to the Selection
of Trustees for the IETF Trust'
  <draft-ietf-iasa2-trust-update-00.txt> as Best Current Practice

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2018-10-05. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This memo updates the selection of trustees for the IETF Trust.
   Previously, the Internet Administrative Oversight Committee (IAOC)
   members also acted as trustees but the IAOC has been eliminated as
   part of an update of the structure of the Internet Administrative
   Support Activity (IASA).  This memo specifies that the trustees shall
   be selected separately.

   This memo updates RFCs 4071 and 4371 with regards to the selection of
   trustees.  All other aspects of the IETF Trust remain as they are
   today.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-iasa2-trust-update/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-iasa2-trust-update/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Sep 2018 18:57:50 -0400

>  <draft-ietf-iasa2-trust-update-00.txt> as Best Current Practice

This is ready to go.  Separating oversight of the trust from the
business management of the IETF would be a good idea even if the
demise of the IAOC didn't force us to do it.

I believe that the trustees (of whom I am one) are agreeable.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. https://jl.ly

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 18:22:26 -0700

> On Sep 21, 2018, at 3:57 PM, John Levine <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

I concur.  It made sense to have the Trustees be members of the IAOC when the IETF Trust was first created, but now with the creation of the IASA 2.0 model, what is proposed here is the right thing to do.

Bob

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2018 20:58:49 +0100

Thanks for this small document that clearly states how Trustees are
appointed and is an important cog.

Just a couple of comments, and some nits.

Best,
Adrian

===

Not sure whether this is just a matter of variations of language over
the Atlantic, but "update to the selection" means (to me) changing the
people who have been selected. So, better to say "update to the process
for selection."

Thus...

Title
OLD
         Update to the Selection of Trustees for the IETF Trust
NEW
   Update to the Process for Selection of Trustees for the IETF Trust

Abstract
OLD
   This memo updates the selection of trustees for the IETF Trust.
NEW
   This memo updates the process for selection of trustees for the IETF
   Trust.

Introduction
OLD
   This memo updates the selection of trustees for the IETF Trust.
NEW
   This memo updates the process for selection of trustees for the IETF 
   Trust.

---

Section 2

   IETF rules regarding recalls and other NomCom-related processes
   continue to apply [RFC7437].

Pedantic, but you can't quite get away with this because the NomCom
processes in 7437 did not apply to pure IETF Trust appointments.

How about...

   The processes regarding NomCom appointments and recalls of Trustees
   for the IETF Trust follow those described in [RFC7437].

Does this mean this document updates 7437?

=== Nits

Abstract and Introduction

s/trustees but/trustees, but/