Subject: [Iasa20] Last Call: <draft-ietf-iasa2-trust-rationale-00.txt> (Discussion of the IASA 2.0 Changes as They Relate to the IETF Trust) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 17:38:16 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the IETF Administrative Support Activity
2 WG (iasa2) to consider the following document: - 'Discussion of the IASA
2.0 Changes as They Relate to the IETF Trust'
  <draft-ietf-iasa2-trust-rationale-00.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2018-10-05. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The IASA 2.0 changes will have an impact on the IETF Trust because
   members of the IET Administrative Oversight Committee (IAOC) IAOC,
   which is being phased out, have served as Trustees of the IETF Trust.
   This discussion document provides background on the current IETF
   Trust arrangements, explains the effect of the rules in the founding
   documents during a transition to a new arrangement, and provides a
   rationale for the update.

Note:

The following text will be removed from the next version of the document:
"This memo is provided only for discussion.  There is no intention to
   publish this memo as an RFC."

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-iasa2-trust-rationale/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-iasa2-trust-rationale/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2018 19:33:04 +0200

> On Sep 22, 2018, at 2:38 AM, The IESG <[email-masked]> wrote:

...

>   publish this memo as an RFC.”

This note seems obsolete given this is is a last call for publication as an rfc. Absent more explicit  guidance to the contrary as to why this is not actually a publication request, that’s how I would construe it given it is working group product, requesting ietf last call,  for which iesg review scheduled.

It is my understanding that this document in section 4 is attempting to describe the rational for the approach described in https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-iasa2-trust-update-00. It seems more concerned with providing a limited survey of various approaches as opposed to the defense of the proposed one. I completely understand the desire to not include such detail in the trust update itself, for reasons of clarity.